Question VividStorm Tab Tensioned Electric Floor Screens. Any Opinions?

calibos

I have long had a plan for a DIY Electric Raising Screen built into a very long 'FAUX' Radiator Cabinet with Low Profile Speakers and Sub also built inside.

ie. In the room it just looks like a long Radiator cabinet with a TV mounted on the wall above it but at the push of a button a large projection screen rises out of it in front of the TV and sound starts booming from the speakers and sub hidden inside.

While I know I could DIY it completely (Screen, Electric Scissors lift raising mechanism etc), the older I get the less likely I am to want to DIY absolutely everything about a given project and am more prepared to pay extra to reduce the DIY Headscratching and brainstorming.

As such I googled a bit and came across these Vividstorm screens. They have the option of ambient light rejection screen materials and all are Tab Tensioned. Now that is something I could never have DIY'd myself. Then I saw the price and while not cheap they are cheaper than I thought for what you get, I'm more inclined to pay it in my old age ;D like I said. Probably €1700 including Customs/VAT shipped to Ireland from Alibaba in China for the 120" . Do they have a Distributor in the UK and are they any cheaper that route?

Anyway, The only DIY remaining would be to mount it inside my Faux Radiator cabinet, Route a Screen Slot in the Radiator cabinet lid and attached a faux radiator cabinet lid to the top of the Screen Cover and of course fit the Low Profile Sub/Speakers inside the Radiator cabinet and some white Speaker Cloth.

That said, I guess there is a further half way DIY possibility that could save a fortune. Seems like Amazon have some Manual Pull Up screens for literally £150. ie. Scissors mechanism with pistons. No tab tensioning though and matt white 1.0 gain material. I'm sure I could come up with a way of motorising that with a linear actuator. Is this the best place to discuss that or is there a Dedicated subforum for DIY Electric screens?

A secondary question would be as follows.

Planning to upgrade from an Epson TW5210 1080p 2400 Lumens PJ to a TW7000 with 4K Pixel Shift and 2900 Lumens. One of the main benefits of this near PJ sidegrade is that the latter has Lens Shift and longer throw than the former which allows me to position the projector much better in the room. The fact that the TW7000 has a Contrast Ratio of 40,000:1 compared to the 100,000:1, 200,000;1 & 1,000,000:1 of its more expensive brethren was not a problem given the white ceilings and magnolia walls would render them all equal to the 40,000:1 TW7000 anyway. However, in light of the Ambient Light rejection Screen material of the VividStorm Screens, does that logic still apply or would this screen material allow me to take advantage of the higher Contrast Ratios of the more expensive Epson brethren?

Last edited:

noob0101

I have long had a plan for a DIY Electric Raising Screen built into a very long 'FAUX' Radiator Cabinet with Low Profile Speakers and Sub also built inside.

ie. In the room it just looks like a long Radiator cabinet with a TV mounted on the wall above it but at the push of a button a large projection screen rises out of it in front of the TV and sound starts booming from the speakers and sub hidden inside.

While I know I could DIY it completely (Screen, Electric Scissors lift raising mechanism etc), the older I get the less likely I am to want to DIY absolutely everything about a given project and am more prepared to pay extra to reduce the DIY Headscratching and brainstorming.

As such I googled a bit and came across these Vividstorm screens. They have the option of ambient light rejection screen materials and all are Tab Tensioned. Now that is something I could never have DIY'd myself. Then I saw the price and while not cheap they are cheaper than I thought for what you get, I'm more inclined to pay it in my old age ;D like I said. Probably €1700 including Customs/VAT shipped to Ireland from Alibaba in China for the 120" . Do they have a Distributor in the UK and are they any cheaper that route?

Anyway, The only DIY remaining would be to mount it inside my Faux Radiator cabinet, Route a Screen Slot in the Radiator cabinet lid and attached a faux radiator cabinet lid to the top of the Screen Cover and of course fit the Low Profile Sub/Speakers inside the Radiator cabinet and some white Speaker Cloth.

That said, I guess there is a further half way DIY possibility that could save a fortune. Seems like Amazon have some Manual Pull Up screens for literally £150. ie. Scissors mechanism with pistons. No tab tensioning though and matt white 1.0 gain material. I'm sure I could come up with a way of motorising that with a linear actuator. Is this the best place to discuss that or is there a Dedicated subforum for DIY Electric screens?

A secondary question would be as follows.

Planning to upgrade from an Epson TW5210 1080p 2400 Lumens PJ to a TW7000 with 4K Pixel Shift and 2900 Lumens. One of the main benefits of this near PJ sidegrade is that the latter has Lens Shift and longer throw than the former which allows me to position the projector much better in the room. The fact that the TW7000 has a Contrast Ratio of 40,000:1 compared to the 100,000:1, 200,000;1 & 1,000,000:1 of its more expensive brethren was not a problem given the white ceilings and magnolia walls would render them all equal to the 40,000:1 TW7000 anyway. However, in light of the Ambient Light rejection Screen material of the VividStorm Screens, does that logic still apply or would this screen material allow me to take advantage of the higher Contrast Ratios of the more expensive Epson brethren?

Please don't write these long posts.

There's been some quality control issues.

The lumen and contrast values are not real. Get them from reviews.

A projector with high contrast will still perform well in low lit scenes, where wall reflections affect the picture less.
An ALR screen will improve the image further since it helps with reflections.

ALR screens also require ~1.9x throw ratio (screen width) to avoid artifacts.

The lens on the TW7000 and 71000 have been reported to soften the image when lens shift is used, but you may not notice.

The TW7400 and TW9400 don't have this issue. The 7400 has a 10GB HDMI, limits it to HDR gaming or some streaming services that require 60Hz.

calibos

Genuine thanks for your advice about the screen and projectors, however........

Frankly, you can keep your advice about how long my posts should be to yourself. Last I heard AVforums was not Twitter with a 140 character limit and you are not a mod. LOL

noob0101

Genuine thanks for your advice about the screen and projectors, however........

Frankly, you can keep your advice about how long my posts should be to yourself. Last I heard AVforums was not Twitter with a 140 character limit and you are not a mod. LOL

If you want anyone to read the post better keep it short. Attention span is in short supply these days.

I can read it, of course.

calibos

My rationale for long posts in technical forums has been that surely its better to include enough context so that the reader understands exactly what I'm asking and why I'm asking it and can respond appropriately, rather than a back and forth of Q&A until they have enough information to answer correctly. The back and forth Q&A as I fill in the detail for them as required will take a day or two, reading a longer post with all the required context already within it will take an extra minute or two.

However, I guess your point is well taken. Most people nowadays have the attention span of a Goldfish and if I lose them before they even read my Question because its length puts them off, well then the question about how long it takes to get the correct answer from them is moot.

calibos

Hi, i just heard vividstorm will have a warehouse in UK and they also have a distributor in the UK.
Maybe you can check with the Vividstorm screen manufacturer.

Thanks for that Maxpanow! I just sent them an Email. I'll post the answer here when I get it.

calibos

Thanks for that Maxpanow! I just sent them an Email. I'll post the answer here when I get it.

Got a reply. They said they are indeed setting up a UK Warehouse and Distributor and the stock will arrive in the UK in the middle of August.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Got a reply. They said they are indeed setting up a UK Warehouse and Distributor and the stock will arrive in the UK in the middle of August.
any news on this?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom