vivid Vs natural

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by b0nzZ1, Feb 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. b0nzZ1

b0nzZ1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what picture u like more ?
    vivid or natural ?

2. Restorer

Restorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    An interesting question since the more vivid settings are generally scorned upon around here.

There are of course industry standards where the techies have decided between them what a display should look like and how it should be calibrated.

To start with I had my Sony 32s2530 set pretty much to what was recommended i.e. low backlight, lower contrast, "natural" color. But then I was watching some HD cricket. It was a sunny day outside my window where the colours were considerably more vivid than the sunny day at Trent Bridge! So I guess there are times when vivid real life can be more "natural" than our settings. (Well real life has to be natural by definition but you know what i mean :))

Since then I have graduated to a Sony 40w4500 whose "natural" settings are noticeably more vivid than on the older set. I continue to use pretty much the recommended "natural" settings for night viewing but have still been known to crank things up a bit for daytime.

Something I have also noticed on this topic is that foreign HD sports material e.g. US Superbowl or Italian CL are a notch or 2 less vivid that normal Sky Sports coverage.

In the end it's probably all a matter of taste and personal perception. That's why God gave us so many settings to play with :clap:

3. philip birdi

philip birdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I always have my Sony's set to Vivid,thats the setting i prefer the other settings seem too dark/dull to me

4. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    Hi

Good post Restorer - like it! :thumbsup:

I am the owner of a Samsung 40" A656 TV and God has given me a HUGE array of user settings to play with!

Must admit though to liking a well-balanced natural picture but some mates hate it, they like overblown exciting vivid colours.

Would'nt it be boring if we all liked the same thing!?

Alan

5. CJPowers81

CJPowers81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +799
    On my 32w4000 I have it set as Standard simply because Vivid is very bright and Cinema is a touch too dark. Saying that though, I could set it to Vivid and reduce a bit of the brightness. The trouble is with the W4000 is that there is that many different settings, you just don't know what to settle on.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    What's the with the sudden use of the term GOD lol

Anyway, displays should be calibrated using a quality source so it can it produce maximum detail in a given image. Sometimes, it's not possible to get every settings correct (unless you're using a PC), which means you'll have to find the sweet spot/trade-off.

For example, having color and contrast set too high can destroy the subtle details, which can cause the image to become 'unnatural/cartoonish'.

The two images below are excellent examples. Can you spot the difference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: The original source files can be found below

http://cid-9c09d09ec80b78d1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Video Calibration

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009