Vivid 200

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by squirrely, Apr 23, 2016.

1. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have just upgraded to vivid 200 , when doing a speedtest my macbook pro downloads consistently at 203mb using 5g but my iphone 6s and ipad air 1 seem to get to 100mbs then drop sharply to varying lower speeds. Anyone know what could be happening ?

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Due to the nature of wifi and the varying results, which is what you are seeing, speedtests should only be done using wired connections.

Wireless speed is also affected by processor power and device performance. So whilst a phone states it can use a/b/g/n/ac it doesn't mean it can ever handle the maximum attainable throughput or even close.

Also, the speedtest is a multisession download. It means multiple streams are being downloaded at the same time. So instead of a 100MB package it will split into 4 x 25MB packages and download all at the same time. This is more intensive for lesspowerful devices.

You could try going to somewhere like AMD or Nvidia and download a single driver package to see how that performs. Though I wouldn't expect a large increase in speed.