1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vivanco SBX-99SE (AV Conttrol 5) help req.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by burnsey, Jun 30, 2005.

1. burnsey

burnsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got hold of a pair of Vivanco SCART switchers, seemingly very similar to the Quintro+ and Trilogy 1 units (are they the same OEM unit?), and as automatic switchers they work perfectly, but...wherever I see these advertised, there is a note to the effect that it's possible to record one source whilst viewing another - for the life of me, I can't manage it! Once I lock a source, that's the only source I can view through the TV output - the indicators for other sources illuminate, but the locked source stays on-screen.

Funnily enough the instructions make absolutely NO claims to be able to do this, rather it just says you can lock a source for uninterrupted recording, NOT that you can view a totally different source whilst doing so.

I've contacted Vivanco, and they're pretty confident that I should be able to record one source and view another. So...

1) I have two switchers with exactly the same fault, or
    2) There is something in my setup that is causing me grief, or
    3) You can't actually view one source whilst recording a different one.

From lurking I know a few people here have these switchers, so I guess I need to pick a few brains!

I'm using fully-wired (I hope) SCART ribbons, and connected to the switcher I have TV (obv), VCR, DVD, Sky box and Freeview box, exactly as Vivanco's example diagram suggests.

Any help MUCH appreciated! :smashin:

2. cosmicnut

cosmicnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I can't help with the question. I found the same issue!
    The main problem I have with my unit is it makes everthing ultra bright. In fact it's too bright for most sources and tends to overload my tv if there is a bright white background on the screen.
    Do you have any colour problems with your unit? Is it just me being a magnet for faulty products

3. burnsey

burnsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aw, crap! :(

Everything I've read so far about these (including the instructions) suggests that it's not possible to lock/record one source and view a different one. Come to think of it, if it distributes one input to four outputs (which it definitely does), surely it would be impossible to have two independent outputs as Vivanco claim...

BTW I had an email from a Vivanco techie:

Nothing along the lines of "I've got one here and I've seen it work with my own eyes". Frankly I'm a more than a bit doubtful.

Colour seems to be okay on mine if I use RGB - if I don't, it's a wee bit vivid. Sorry I can't help you any further on that score, but I'm not surprised - had one apart last night, there's definitely a touch of the home-made about them.

Shouldn't complain too much I guess - they work perfectly well as auto-switchers (and I got them cheap), it's just a bit annoying if people are buying them expecting functionality that just isn't there :mad: