Vivadi - Media Centres?

hermanmunster1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking at getting a multi-functional pc for the front room.
The main requirements are a PVR with the capability to record 2 programmes as well as watch another. I am more than happy with freeview as I rarely watch TV. The same applies to HD TV. I would like the ability to expand into Sports if possible, for example Espn or BT in a few months)
On top of this I also want to the capability to record vinyl to mp3 on it. I already do this in another room with another computer, but I would like to get down to one record player...
I have been searching online and apart from own builds (which i do not feel comfortable with) I can not find anything that will do as required for less than a serious amount of money...

The only Htpc that appears in this area is vivadi...or are there any other suggestions from you folks. Seeing as I can not see a whole heap of information concerning this company I was curious about them to say the least.

Please feel free to ask any questions...

Thanks
Herm

Fyi - the vivadi link
Vivadi MediaMaster - Media Centre PCs

Hmm, not heard of Vivadi but they seem pricey. Also, they don't say what software their machines come pre-loaded with, bit curious to know what it is.

When you say that you are not comfortable with building your own, would you be comfortable with buying a pre-built PC and adding extra hard drives, and maybe tuners and graphics card?

You don't mention satellite so I am presuming you want to connect it to a Freeview aerial, and be able to receive the Freeview HD channels? So you would need DVB-T2 tuner(s), which you can buy and fit yourself.

Are you comfortable with installing drivers or an operating system, or configuring your own media center software?

Hi and thanks for the post,
Yes I am happy buying a pre-built and adding hard drives and components. I have done this before...
Its just the whole build yr own thing is not one I have huge amounts of time for.
Yes you are correct, I currently have virgin, and the kids watch it basically. The partner and I maybe watch an hour a day as a maximum. So yes we want to change back to freeview as there is enough on these channels for us.
Installing drivers, yes no problem. Operating system, probably at a push and our IT department are good at this. As for configuring, again no major problem...

Can I ask, what are you going to suggest?

Thanks once again for any advice.
Herm

Last edited:
Hi Herm,

Well, another option, if budget is a concern, is rather than buying a very expensive pre-built Media Centre machine is that you can basically buy any pre-built PC, in a case that you like, and then customise it to your needs.

One thing to watch out for when choosing the machine is quiet components, particular the PSU, and case / cpu fans, but you can always swap them out for quiet ones if need be.

So you would want something like a dual core 3ghz CPU,with 4GB RAM, and to make things easier a separate graphics card like the ATI 6450 (about £25) would do all your video and audio via a single HDMI lead.

Ideally you would want your OS booting from an SSD, and then a separate 1 or 2TB for TV recordings and media, unless you have additional media storage elsewhere (although I would recommend recording TV to a local hard drive).

Then you will need to add your freeview tuners - could be via PCI/PCIe slots or USB, and choose your front end software.

I use MediaPortal, although there are a few to choose from. MediaPortal does take a bit of effort to set-up but there are good guides available. It is unique though, I think, in that with one tuner you can watch or record all the channels on one multiplex. For Freeview HD this means one DVB-T2 tuner can access all four Freeview HD channels at the same time.

Having said all that, there is a forum member and advertiser who does supply pre-built HTPC's and is very knowledgable so you could look at that option also. It depends on how much effort you want to put in yourself and how much you want to spend!

Thanks deleted member,

Your help has been most gratefully received.
Can I ask who is the forum member who does supply pre-built Pc's as well?

Thanks
herm

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom