1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viva Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by VoltronUS, Jan 7, 2005.

1. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there none among us at CES this weekend? I have been [im]patiently waiting to see some kind of news about the Arcam Solo & speakers, maybe something about the MS250 music server, or anything else new from the big show. Come on, throw us a bone out here people. Maybe there is too much to see and do to log in and post some news. In fact, I understand the Adult Video News convention is happening this weekend as well, so there may be other distractions as well... :devil:

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would have thouht that JD and perhaps Andy Dutton would be there.

John

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You are correct we are all at CES in Vegas. The show has just finnished and we have now broken down the stands. I can't really give you any details at the moment as Marketing will want to do that via the web site. But I expect there will be some show reports from some of the journalists soon.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Andy, and I hope you had a great show. I still don't get the mystery. There were products announced publicly to thousands of people at the show, but a curious Arcam owner like myself cannot even figure out what the products were let alone any information about them. There are pictures of an "AVP700" and "P1000", there was the Solo, and there's a lot of speculation and concern about what else. What are the "AVP700" and "P1000"? Was the MS250 announced? What are the specs on the Solo speakers? Etc. The website now says check back in February, which seems like a long time from now for the marketing boys to get something posted. Even a list of the items shown would be better than nothing...

5. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Malcomb. I have seen those two tidbits, but was hoping for something more on the MS250 especially. Also trying to figure out where that new AVP700 and P1000 fit into the spectrum. It does seem odd that Arcam would come out with a Diva pre/pro with HDMI and possibly other features that outpace the AV8. Of course, I love my AV8 but I only bought it a few months ago and poked and prodded on the HDMI front and got consistent feedback that a new AV8/9 etc would not be on the horizon at all soon. Oh well, time marches on...

8. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, I have been holding back from upgrading to see what new products Arcam come up with. Perhaps the names may give the products away AVP700 - could that be a new AV unit to replace the AV8 (I hope not in your case) with the P1000 - surely not a new Power amp !! Pure speculation of course, although I'm suprised Arcam are letting this speculation go on, surely if the products have been in the pipeline for so long, why does there marketing dept need another month to get info out, they must have had months now... I assume the product names were left "intrigingly" on there stand to generate interest - so no one at the show actually saw these products in the flesh?

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    These were announced by surpise at CES. The AVP700 is a Diva range pre/pro similar to the AVR300, but with HDMI switching and fully balanced preamp outputs (in addition to usual open end RCA). P1000 is a Diva 7 channel amp (also with balanced interconnects).

This kit should fit nicely in between the AVR300 and the FMJ AV8/P7.

Pictures have been posted elsewhere on this forum.

10. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the further info Dean. I had basically assumed that to be the case from what they looked like and what others were saying based on very little information. The amazing thing is that the new Diva gear is again surpassing the FMJ line! And one has to imagine, as I said before, that the AV8 is set for a change sooner rather than later. The DV79 came out shortly before the DV29, and that was only a couple of months lag. HDMI switching was what I was holding out for earlier, but the balanced outputs would be rather nice as well. PLIIx will surely be supported. I don't regret what I have, but I will wish that I had waited given how close it appears. :oops:

11. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen pictures of the AVP700 and the P1000 from Vegas, and read the speulation, but haven't seen anything at all in any press about the ms 250 or the solo. Not really interested in the solo, and for the tiome being neither of the amps, what I'm really looking for is info the ms250, was it there? Has anone seen it, any specs. I know there's old postings just wondered if people have seen it in the flesh?

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

IIRC Gordon Fraser has seen it in the flesh, don't know if he has heard it though

John

13. wcvb

wcvb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

dwette,

Please post a URL where pictures of the AVP700 and P1000 can be found.

Also any basic info on the P1000:
    - Number of channels?
    - Power output per channel?

Thanx

14. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is the picture of the AVP700.
    I'm don't know if there's one of the P1000.

The P1000 is a 7 channel amp. I've heard it'll be around 150 WPC, but that's just hearsay. It does have fully balanced inputs though (to match the balanced outs of the AVP).

I'm already considering trading my AVR300 for the AVP, but am waiting to see what kind of improvements it has in sound quality. I'll use my Alpha P9/10 amps to begin with, but may go to the P1000 with balanced interconnects later.

There's just not a lot of info on these right now.

15. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been thinking of purchasing an AVR-300 until I saw the data on the AVP700/P1000 on this site. So I asked some questions and received the following data from the sales person whom I am going to make my Arcam purchase with. This is what I was told.

The Arcam engineers are saying it will have an April ship date although some of the sales guys were talking sooner. I'll listen to the engineers. It is believed they will come in at $4500 (USD) for the pair. The main differences between the AVR300 and the separates are the better regulated power supplies, dropping the noise floor, a menu page for the HDMI switchers and the differential balanced ouput drivers. The amp will be 7 x 135 so of course you will have more power to drive your speakers.

This is all the data I have been able to gain so far. I'm really on the ledge for the AVR-300... but depending on the final specs/pricing I may go for the combo unit. One thought... Since these are in the Diva Line... does anyone think that any software differences the AVP-700 may have could become possible software upgrades for the AVR-300?

Cheers.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The emphasis I think is on HDMI switchers. I don't think it will allow multi channel audio input from say a 29. It is pitched as a parner for the video only 79. Look to flag ship processor for that. Currently the AV8 is their flagship, a processor I would love to own by the way. Great piece of kit.

17. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's pretty much in line with what I've been told.

Additionally (and this is hearsay), the HDMI switching will not support upconversion from other inputs (as the component inputs do), but will support the HDMI spec for multichannel audio (maybe not initially, but later thru sw upgrade).

I hope the pre/pro is the less expensive of the two...will make my trade-in from AVR300 easier on the wife. :rolleyes:

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I've seen it and heard it. Can't comment on sound at shows.

The 700 is not a superior product to the FMJ unless you consider the ability to switch two HDMI inputs and balanced output with worse audio quality a benefit.

Yes that's correct audibly it will be worse than the FMJ but it will have balanced outputs.....which not many folk use and which in most domestic situations is of absolutely no benefit anway. The HDMI is just a switch with absolutely no processing of audio or video done through it. So if you want audio from your HDMI sources you need to plug in the spdif output just as you currently do.

They are based on the AVR300 case and platform to get maximum value. I think that it should be pretty cool, Same software as AVR300 I believe in 700.

The suprise for me was that I didn't know about it...hahahah..John kept that one quiet....and that the Solo speakers looked and sounded really sweet.

Gordon

19. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon, sorry to push you on this, but did you get to see the MS 250 then? Do you know any details, I'm teetering on the edge of an htpc, but this could persuade me otherwise? I'm just impatient thats all ;)

Cheers

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I didn't look at the MS350 much as I saw so much of it at CEDIA USA. I have nothing to add to what I posted about it then.

Gordon

21. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon--Was that a typo or did Arcam up the hard drive to 350 gigabytes?

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  23. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    you must be kidding

24. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did say it was hearsay, but it's from a reasonable source. I suppose only Arcam engineering can say for sure. We shall see.

Dean

25. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I DOUBT that it is true......I wouldn't purchase the unit with any hope of that happening. The hardware for it is not inside at least that is my understanding from a very high source at Arcam.

Gordon

26. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    does anybody have any pics of the Solo speakers?

27. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I was at CES, and made the effort to go and see the Arcam stuff... bit of a pain, as it was on a different site to the main show, so - an hour later on a shuttle, and there was i was.

Was very impressed with the new Diva Combo... sounded good. Also, the solo, was just superb.... guys were too busy to talk to me when i was there, so i didnt get much info. Am considering a solo for my Dining room though.. was very nice indeed.

I went to see the FMJ Media Server really.. They showed black an silver units - As im currently using a PC to do this job - overall, i was underwhelmed.... The box itself looked nice, but the UI i thought needed more work.... but the price scared me the most... $4999 ?? Again, the folks were too busy for me to get any detail.. but for that money, it had better be packing a whole load of stuff under the bonnet that i couldnt see... Will explore further when its in my local dealer - but my initial impression was not great...

one other thing... the remote control for the media server was aweful - looked cheap, and nasty.... the Solo remote was much better.

my 10 cents... Kev