Vitamins and fatigue

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking multivitamins for a few months now and I think they're actually starting to make me feel worse.

For the past week I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep, and when I do I have vivid, lucid dreams that I can remember the next day crystal clear. I wake up feeling very tired even though I've slept for 7-8hrs.

I also feel quite low. I wouldn't say depressed but generally gloomy and miserable. I've read that vitamin B6 can cause lucid dreaming and in some cases fatigue.

Has anyone else had any similar symptoms with taking vitamins?

Get yourself to your docs for some routine bloods.

I joined a new docs and their new patient check-up showed I was low in vit b12. I had the course of jabs, all went back to normal, and I felt a lot better for it. It might be something similar in your case.

I take multi-vitamins as wll as some other bits and bobs, despite having a good diet. I know of very few people who get all their nutritional needs from food. My doc happily prescribes me them.

Get yourself to your docs for some routine bloods.

I joined a new docs and their new patient check-up showed I was low in vit b12. I had the course of jabs, all went back to normal, and I felt a lot better for it. It might be something similar in your case.

I take multi-vitamins as wll as some other bits and bobs, despite having a good diet. I know of very few people who get all their nutritional needs from food. My doc happily prescribes me them.

How can you say that? All the medical advice I've read indicates that we don't need to take these supplements if we eat properly. So what stuff in particular do you think most people are missing which is essential for a healthy body?

A lad I work with has Vitamin B12 jabs, one every 4-6 weeks I think. My diet, lifestyle and exercising has never been better. I rarely consume alcohol, quit smoking around 7 months ago. So I consider myself quite healthy.

How can you say that?
Because of the key word I've highlighted in bold.
All the medical advice I've read indicates that we don't need to take these supplements if we eat properly. So what stuff in particular do you think most people are missing which is essential for a healthy body?
I know of very few people who eat 'properly', nutritionally speaking. I don't think some people appreciate what 'properly' is, and they think because they don't eat junk food that they're fine. You can eat healthily and still miss a lot of essential nutrients.

My missus works in the medical profession, and part of her job is giving nutritional advice. She studied dietetics at Uni. She lectures me about this stuff regularly. I don't argue with her :)
andywylde said:
A lad I work with has Vitamin B12 jabs, one every 4-6 weeks I think. My diet, lifestyle and exercising has never been better. I rarely consume alcohol, quit smoking around 7 months ago. So I consider myself quite healthy.
Yeah, if you're b12 deficient that's how often you have them. If you only need a top-up they stop after half a dozen or so jabs, but if you have a problem you may need them for longer.

I thought I was healthy, I look pretty healthy, but I was a bit low on a couple of things which were covered by the muti-vit and the jabs. Ironically, it might have been to do with too much exercise, and not eating enough to fuel that exercise.

Andy are you a geography teacher pal?

My missus works in the medical profession, and part of her job is giving nutritional advice. She studied dietetics at Uni. She lectures me about this stuff regularly. I don't argue with her :)

You've got that kind of expert advice on tap and you still end up with a vitamin deficiency? Man you should be in faultless condition. :)

I'm surprised this thread is still alive though. OP should seek expert medical opinion.

You've got that kind of expert advice on tap and you still end up with a vitamin deficiency? Man you should be in faultless condition. :)

I'm surprised this thread is still alive though. OP should seek expert medical opinion.
The reason I don't argue with her isn't because she's an expert (she's not), it's because she's a woman :D She takes multi-vits as well, simply because it's so difficult to have a properly balanced diet.

Also, some people end up with a B12 deficiency because of anaemia, your diet can't compensate for the likes of that.

But as you've said, this is probably likely to be closed. The doc is the person for this type of thing. I'm sure everyone has fallen into the trap of self-diagnosis at some point in time, but it's a daft thing to do. Best to let the doc evaluate you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom