Vitamin D and Covid-19

IronGiant

Hmmmm...

I sense a Wikipedia Scientist here...

acatweasel

Look, it’s just a word of warning not to overdo it.

Water soluble vitamins are more easily metabolised by the body. You can still harm yourself if you try hard enough, but by and large you just pee ‘em out.

The fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) are not so easily metabolised out and are built up/stored in the body in the fatty tissues and body organs that process them. Highly unlikely to cause harm at reasonable concentrations, but don’t think you can manage vitamin combinations better than your body can.

I use multivits in the winter (I’ve cleared 60 now and think it’s wise insurance), but I wouldn’t go on long term high doses of fat soluble vitamins without tests and evidence of need.

As a bit off topic laugh: Back in ‘79 my personal tutor at Liverpool Uni was a Dr G. Pitt, researching Vit A. Lovely old bloke, coming up for retirement. We were sat with him having lunch, and one of the lads asked what he’d done during the war. Turned out he’d spent most of it researching vitamin deprivation on conscientious objectors. Processed fat for energy, and supplements for everything else. We made our excuses and left.

iamsludge

Just watched a video on Dr John Campbell’s youtube channel:

A small study of older people that having significant dose of VitD (6,000 IU per day) before infection can significantly improve immune response.

Less inflammation, a greater anti-viral response from the immune system and more t-cells at the infection site.

So perhaps good levels of VitD can also improve the body’s response to vaccines!

finbaar

Look, it’s just a word of warning not to overdo it.

Water soluble vitamins are more easily metabolised by the body. You can still harm yourself if you try hard enough, but by and large you just pee ‘em out.

The fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) are not so easily metabolised out and are built up/stored in the body in the fatty tissues and body organs that process them. Highly unlikely to cause harm at reasonable concentrations, but don’t think you can manage vitamin combinations better than your body can.

I use multivits in the winter (I’ve cleared 60 now and think it’s wise insurance), but I wouldn’t go on long term high doses of fat soluble vitamins without tests and evidence of need.

As a bit off topic laugh: Back in ‘79 my personal tutor at Liverpool Uni was a Dr G. Pitt, researching Vit A. Lovely old bloke, coming up for retirement. We were sat with him having lunch, and one of the lads asked what he’d done during the war. Turned out he’d spent most of it researching vitamin deprivation on conscientious objectors. Processed fat for energy, and supplements for everything else. We made our excuses and left.
I would not have anywhere the same level of concern over vitamin D as it produced by the body. In summer it is easy to get 10,000 IU in a relatively short period of time when you are outside.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
If you're back of the Q for vaccine bear in mind that come May through to September that 3000iu plus even quite short sun exposure times would be enough to possibly push your daily Vit D intake higher than you think (if not using sunscreen). See my post above.

So just like putting summer duvets on beds, perhaps best switch to summer Vit D pills....
A rule of thumb to remind you When using duvet
13.5 tog = 3,000iu
4.5 tog = none or 400iu.

Think once, think twice.
Think what duvet am I using? before popping the pill ;)

Haven’t seen this thread before, but I wanted to congratulate you for a brilliant post, you made an excellent analogy that even I understood! Very well put.

basiltherat

Standard Member
Not really To do with covid, but I was in agony with my joints, aching bones , turns out I had arthritis, but a severe deficiency, was given very strong vitamin d suppliments and pain was gone within a month, and I'm now on tablets for arthritis, but the vitamin d had a huge impact on arthritis, who's is an immune system problem to begin with (well mine was).
So can well imagine vitamin d helping with immune system.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom