Vitamin D and Covid-19

1crb1

I’ve been pushing for more awareness over the correlation of basic human Prophylactic treatments since the start of all this. Wether I’m pestering friends and families in person or most recently over social media. It’s still amazes me that people don’t understand the very basics of how amazing our bodies are in relation to it’s in built healing and immunity properties. I mainly blame public health for not educating us at a young age, wether by design or otherwise it’s pretty shameful.

Vitamin D has been something I’ve been pushing the most, and it’s starting to gain traction with MSM . 80k deaths too late I would add. This was in the Guardian today:

1crb1

For those that are interested:
Suggested doses for prophylactic Covid treatment:

Start with an a-z multivitamin supplement.

It’s advised to up the following doses to achieve the following total daily amounts:

Vitamin D 1000-3000IU

Vitamin C 500+mg

Zinc 25-50mg

Zinc has also been found to reduce the effects of anosmia (loss of taste and smell)

Quercetin 200+mg

Quercetin is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory especially important as severe Covid disease causes multi system inflammation.

Always check you are personally safe to take any supplements

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
For those that are interested:
Suggested doses for prophylactic Covid treatment:

Start with an a-z multivitamin supplement.

It’s advised to up the following doses to achieve the following total daily amounts:

Vitamin D 1000-3000IU

Vitamin C 500+mg

Zinc 25-50mg

Zinc has also been found to reduce the effects of anosmia (loss of taste and smell)

Quercetin 200+mg

Quercetin is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory especially important as severe Covid disease causes multi system inflammation.

Always check you are personally safe to take any supplements

I've been taking multivitamin tablets for at least 30 years now. Touch wood I've not caught Covid so far, at least not had any symptoms. I was wondering about taking additional vitamin D, but the multivitamin tablets I take already contain the recommended daily amount of vitamin D, so I think I will continue as before.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I've been taking multivitamin tablets for at least 30 years now. Touch wood I've not caught Covid so far, at least not had any symptoms. I was wondering about taking additional vitamin D, but the multivitamin tablets I take already contain the recommended daily amount of vitamin D, so I think I will continue as before.
The UK Vit D RDA is lower than that of Canada, USA, and Europe, and if older than 70 is just 50% of what USA/Canada recommend. The recommended maximum daily amount which is common across all of these countries is 100 μg (4,000iu), 10 times higher than the UK RDA.

RDA
UK 10μg (400iu)
USA 600iu (15μg) >71 800iu (20μg)
Canada 600iu (15μg) >70 800 iu (20μg)
European Food Safety Authority 15μg (600iu)
The German Society for Nutrition recommends 20 µg
The Swedish National Food Agency recommends a daily intake of 10 μg (400 IU) of vitamin D3 for children and adults up to 75 years, and 20 μg (800 IU) for adults 75 and older
Vitamin D - Wikipedia

Bllod test last year showed I was Vit D deficient** and I was prescribed UK RDA pills. I got Covid in March this year. Or to put it another way: from my experience Vit D at UK RDA doses will not protect you from catching the virus. While it was mild I've been left with breathing difficulties and long covid.

**Also bear in mind that not all pills are equal. When I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient last year I was taking a daily multivitamin, high strength Vit D and Cod Liver Oil. All unfortunately the same brand (Lindens) which from my blood test results didn't contain what they said they did.....

Since then I've been taking 3000iu some days (Brand X) and 1000iu other days (Brand Y) in the autumn/winter.

Last edited:

Chocci

'High levels of vitamin D are also critical for first line immune defences including physical mucosal defences, human antiviral production, modulating cytokines, reducing blood clotting and a whole host of other important immune system functions [10]. The obese, diabetics and people of BAME origin are far more deficient in vitamin D and men have lower levels than women [10].

Another intriguing clue is that Japan has the highest proportion of elderly on the planet but despite lack of lockdowns, little mask wearing and high population densities in cities, it escaped with few COVID deaths. Could this, at least in part, be because of extraordinarily high vitamin D levels of over 30 ng/ml in 95% of the active elderly [11]? By comparison, UK average levels are below 20ng/ml [10]. Vitamin D is made in the skin from the action of UV sunlight, food usually being a poor source, but the Japanese diet includes unusually high levels. Sunny countries near the equator (e.g. Nigeria, Singapore, Sri Lanka) also have very low COVID related deaths.

The results of the first vitamin D intervention double blind RCT for COVID was published on 29 August by researchers in Córdoba, Spain. This very well conducted study produced spectacular outcomes for the vitamin D group (n=50), virtually eliminating the need for ICU (reducing it by 96%) and eliminating deaths (8% in the n=26 control group). Although this was a small trial, the ICU results are so dramatic that they are statistically highly significant [12].

Substantially more vitamin D is required for optimal immune function than for bone health. It seems Dr Fauci is not ignorant of this, having apparently confirmed on TV and by email that he takes 6,000 IU daily! '

British Medical Journal :-

1crb1

The UK Vit D RDA is lower than that of Canada, USA, and Europe, and if older than 70 is just 50% of what USA/Canada recommend. The recommended maximum daily amount which is common across all of these countries is 100 μg (4,000iu), 10 times higher than the UK RDA.

RDA
UK 10μg (400iu)
USA 600iu (15μg) >71 800iu (20μg)
Canada 600iu (15μg) >70 800 iu (20μg)
European Food Safety Authority 15μg (600iu)
The German Society for Nutrition recommends 20 µg
The Swedish National Food Agency recommends a daily intake of 10 μg (400 IU) of vitamin D3 for children and adults up to 75 years, and 20 μg (800 IU) for adults 75 and older
Vitamin D - Wikipedia

Bllod test last year showed I was Vit D deficient** and I was prescribed UK RDA pills. I got Covid in March this year. Or to put it another way: from my experience Vit D at UK RDA doses will not protect you from catching the virus. While it was mild I've been left with breathing difficulties and long covid.

**Also bear in mind that not all pills are equal. When I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient last year I was taking a daily multivitamin, high strength Vit D and Cod Liver Oil. All unfortunately the same brand (Lindens) which from my blood test results didn't contain what they said they did.....

Since then I've been taking 3000iu some days (Brand X) and 1000iu other days (Brand Y) in the autumn/winter.

Could I be so nosey to ask your age out of interest with this top

'High levels of vitamin D are also critical for first line immune defences including physical mucosal defences, human antiviral production, modulating cytokines, reducing blood clotting and a whole host of other important immune system functions [10]. The obese, diabetics and people of BAME origin are far more deficient in vitamin D and men have lower levels than women [10].

Another intriguing clue is that Japan has the highest proportion of elderly on the planet but despite lack of lockdowns, little mask wearing and high population densities in cities, it escaped with few COVID deaths. Could this, at least in part, be because of extraordinarily high vitamin D levels of over 30 ng/ml in 95% of the active elderly [11]? By comparison, UK average levels are below 20ng/ml [10]. Vitamin D is made in the skin from the action of UV sunlight, food usually being a poor source, but the Japanese diet includes unusually high levels. Sunny countries near the equator (e.g. Nigeria, Singapore, Sri Lanka) also have very low COVID related deaths.

The results of the first vitamin D intervention double blind RCT for COVID was published on 29 August by researchers in Córdoba, Spain. This very well conducted study produced spectacular outcomes for the vitamin D group (n=50), virtually eliminating the need for ICU (reducing it by 96%) and eliminating deaths (8% in the n=26 control group). Although this was a small trial, the ICU results are so dramatic that they are statistically highly significant [12].

Substantially more vitamin D is required for optimal immune function than for bone health. It seems Dr Fauci is not ignorant of this, having apparently confirmed on TV and by email that he takes 6,000 IU daily! '

Absolutely spot on. Just imagine if such an cheap and effective BASIC adjustment to our diet could have prevented the most serious or even fatal outcomes from this pandemic. It blows my mind sometimes.
It’s also really quite astonishing how the vast majority of society either have no clue or yet are not interested in such potential, Yet they are terrified of catching the virus but do nothing in the way of research or prevention. They would sooner be moaning about how Doreen didn’t wear a mask in Sainsbury’s or other such nonsense. :rolleyes:

Blueacewe

Too much vitamin D can have some negative effects like nausea and vomiting.
I've been taking vitamin D for a few months and I had a couple of bad episodes until I found this.

What is vitamin D toxicity? Should I be worried about taking supplements?
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

1crb1

I’ve just read the study, thanks for posting. I follow Tim’s work actually and he is very good. The study draws a few questions marks, as it’s only a speculative study. Obviously the main ones for me is that we obviously won’t have blood levels or what dose of vitamins has been taken. NHS guideline for Vit D intake is only 400IU, a fair amount lower than most other countries and if deficient that dose wouldn't touch the sides so to speak. Studies to prevent covid are talking about 3000IU plus. Also it doesn’t correlate severity of the disease against intake of vitamins, as this could indicate wether people that took Vit D had milder symptoms for example

1crb1

Too much vitamin D can have some negative effects like nausea and vomiting.
I've been taking vitamin D for a few months and I had a couple of bad episodes until I found this.

What is vitamin D toxicity? Should I be worried about taking supplements?
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

what dose are you taking and what effects did you have?
Toxicity is found in taking 60000IU per day, only people I have heard having that dose is by IV in ICU

WeeScottishLass

Distinguished Member

Blueacewe

what dose are you taking and what effects did you have?
Toxicity is found in taking 60000IU per day, only people I have heard having that dose is by IV in ICU

I was taking 4000IU daily for months before having 2 episodes of strong nausea and vomiting.
I can't know for certain if it was the vitamin D.

I read somewhere (don't know how credible, can't find the link) that there was at least a case of vitamin D supplements having a much, much higher concentration than what was on the label.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to stop anyone from taking vitamin D, just be aware of possible symptoms if you're taking too much.

1crb1

I was taking 4000IU daily for months before having 2 episodes of strong nausea and vomiting.
I can't know for certain if it was the vitamin D.

I read somewhere (don't know how credible, can't find the link) that there was at least a case of vitamin D supplements having a much, much higher concentration than what was on the label.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to stop anyone from taking vitamin D, just be aware of possible symptoms if you're taking too much.

thanks for replying! So not an overly high dose, interesting all the same. was it tablet or spray? I’ve also heard the opposite where a lower amount was found! Go figure haha.
You have to be mindful with any tablet popping of all the usual stuff, eat before taking, oil capsules are usual less prone to nausea than powder pills etc

Indiana Jones

I started taking Vitamin D supplements back in February 2020 and wasn't ill once for the entire year when in previous years on average I would get a chest infection or just common cold several times.

Now obviously this can't be solely down to the extra Vitamin D and is more likely to be down to not going out at much and keeping my distance from others but still I will be carrying on with my tablet each morning.

Blueacewe

thanks for replying! So not an overly high dose, interesting all the same. was it tablet or spray? I’ve also heard the opposite where a lower amount was found! Go figure haha.
You have to be mindful with any tablet popping of all the usual stuff, eat before taking, oil capsules are usual less prone to nausea than powder pills etc

Capsules. These ones

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Most of us are Vitamin D deficent given our lifestyles and the British weather.
Generally most people should get it checked out and replaced sensibly, under medical supervision.

With most of us in lockdown and it being winter, I'd venture a pretty gigantic proportion of us are deficient.

I'd personally get my level checked because you might require higher doses of vitamin D to fix the defiency and likewise you might not require as much as you take and you don't want to run the risk of self medicating yourself into hypercalcemia (admittedly I am talking very worst case scenario and probably being OTT).

Scaletail

Little mask wearing? I have family and friends living in Japan. They report much higher levels of mask wearing than other countries. When I've visited, many times in the
past 30 years, there is a lot of mask wearing.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Little mask wearing? I have family and friends living in Japan. They report much higher levels of mask wearing than other countries. When I've visited, many times in the
past 30 years, there is a lot of mask wearing.

Agreed. Since when does Japan have little mask wearing? Over the last 10 years, they've worn mask a ahell of a lot more than us.

This is why the internet is just a cess-pool for information.

Have pepople been to Japan? From many perspectives, its simply a generation ahead of everyone else. The culture there is far more obediant, they are far more competitive and amibitous re:schooling and education, their family values are far more traditional, etc. etc.

I'm not saying its perfect. They have some dark undertones to the country too which some may feel uncomfortable with (e.g. if you go into a Japanese adult store and read some of their fiction, you'll see its disturbing how many underrage girls are mentioned.. but then again they argue its fantasy and that their actual child abuse and rape statistics are very very low, but they do have a high 'grope' culture on trains etc.).

Anyway, I think Japanese care for its elderly and better health outcomes is not secondary to just masks and vitamin D.

The culture in the UK seems to be far more care-home orientated in terms of looking after the elderly and this has advantages AND disadvantages as we've seen during COVID. Although COVID is an extreme example, things like other viral infections or pneumonia or infection stool conditions like C. Diff can also run riot in a care home and although might all result in mortaility statistics, can decrease the general health of the population.

Too many people are looking for singular reasons or parameters for why the UK is bad at a specific something when it comes to health care but rarely is vitamin D, Vitamin C, a mask going to be the singular answer. The harder answer is that put simply culturally and systemically we need to shift if we want to improve... but thats a lot harder to do, requires a lot more responsibility from population and government and is frankly a far more difficult conversation to have with the general public.

Last edited:

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
So, after some further checks, it turns out the multivitamins I've been taking only contain 5ug of Vitamin D which is 200 IU apparently. I have now ordered these vitamin D tablets which are 1,000 IU

Amazon product

Last edited:

IronGiant

How many a day will you take? :D

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
How many a day will you take? :D

Hopefully one pill a day will keep the covid at bay! :)
I think one of the earlier posts is right on the mark. Given we are all in our houses most of the time now, there are likely to be many of us who are vitamin D deficient.

IronGiant

I only ask as some were mentioning 3-4000U earlier in the thread. I've got 3000U and hopefully I won't have overdosed before I get inoculated.

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
I only ask as some were mentioning 3-4000U earlier in the thread. I've got 3000U and hopefully I won't have overdosed before I get inoculated.

Good point. I was just working on the basis that my previous dose was probably way too small and not really "touching the sides". I will probably start with one and gradually increase to three.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published