Vita Must Haves?

Det

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I like RPG's and Adventure/Puzzle games that last longer than 40+ hours of solid gameplay. I love me some JRPG's too.

What games are "must have" either in or out of my genre preference.

I have a Vita on order that should be here in a week or two (don't ask) and I have a small library built up all ready for when it arrives.

PS Plus freebies I have:
Wipeout 2048
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Disgaea 3 (looking forward this one a lot)
Zombie Tycoon II
Gravity Rush
Final Fantasy Tactics (played it on my PSP and not a huge fan)
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
JetSet Radio
Foosball 2012
Soul Caliber: Destiny
Chronovolt (I think I might have this game through PS Plus)

I bought Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time for $12.45 or something like that through PS Plus discount.

The main games I want to get in the near future are:
Persona 4 Golden
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Soul Sacrifice
Y's: Memories of Celceta (and possibly some PSP offerings of Y's if I like this one)
Atalier Tortori Plus

Are there any I'm missing that are amazeballs? Either already out or coming soon?

I'm thinking about Ragnarok Odyssey but I've never played a Ragnarok game so not sure about the IP. Also looking into Dragon's Crown.

Does anyone know if Japan Imports have the ability to have menu options in english with english subtitles? I'd like to import some of the Tales games but won't if I can't read the commands and information. I would prefer the Japanese audio though.

I may even pick up Dynasty Warriors: Next just cuz I like the button mashing of that game and playing with legendary characters like Lu Bu, Dong Zhou, Cao Cao, etc.

Final Fantasy X HD will be a definite purchase for me. Used to love that game.

The vita I ordered is coming with Black Ops: Declassified but I'm hoping it comes in a separate case with the wrap on it cuz I'm going to try to trade it in for other games.

Last edited:
Virtue's last reward is on playstation plus now. Until the 8th I think so get that one quickly.

Dokuro...great little game, that will have you swearing like a trooper at the Vita.

Soul Sacrifice is brilliant too, far better than the demo lead me to believe, and audio wise, even better with the orginal Japanese audio(which may have been a pre-order bonus), so not sure if its standard in the States, or whether or not you just get the crappy English dialogue.

As to Y's, go the PSP route at the moment, see if you like them.

Virtue's last reward is on playstation plus now. Until the 8th I think so get that one quickly.
Yah, unfortunately NA doesn't get the same A list games you guys do on PS Plus. I was hoping we would get ZE:VLR but no dice. Maybe they'll offer it later this month? Who knows, but I really want to get that one.

Dokuro...great little game, that will have you swearing like a trooper at the Vita.

Soul Sacrifice is brilliant too, far better than the demo lead me to believe, and audio wise, even better with the orginal Japanese audio(which may have been a pre-order bonus), so not sure if its standard in the States, or whether or not you just get the crappy English dialogue.

As to Y's, go the PSP route at the moment, see if you like them.
Never heard of Dokuro, metacritic gives it a pretty decent rating. Will look into it!

Looking on Amazon, apparently we do get the option of Japanese audio so I think I'll stick with that... sweet.

Good call on the Y's cuz I can pay pennies for an older one and then if I like it/them, I can invest in the one made for Vita and by then the price will have dropped!

Play all of those and the zero escape for a bit of down time. Ragnarok is ok but we are waiting for a solid rpg ti come out. Final fantasy 10 should be soon. Soul sacrifice was good but it's another monster hunter idea. There should be lots to enjoy in the next months and ys will be excellent. Just platinum zero escape so we can stop having to usr spoilers in the game thread!

Ps lots happening on the hacking side as well so thats interesting!

Play all of those and the zero escape for a bit of down time. Ragnarok is ok but we are waiting for a solid rpg ti come out. Final fantasy 10 should be soon. Soul sacrifice was good but it's another monster hunter idea. There should be lots to enjoy in the next months and ys will be excellent. Just platinum zero escape so we can stop having to usr spoilers in the game thread!

Ps lots happening on the hacking side as well so thats interesting!
Hacking side?

People hacking the DoA chicks clothing?

Don't see why people would need to hack the vita...?

Right now it's just people using exploits in minis to run the same capabilities as a hacked psp but it's getting interesting as they get better at it.

I haven't done it yet as I prefer to have it online and Sony give enough through plus to ensure that.

Interesting, I've never heard of what hacked PSP's can do... worth looking into to see what's being done.

Will google that later. Thanks.

Hacked psps can play psp game copies but thats piracy so a no no. They do however let you run homebrew like emulators of most earlier consoles upto n64 ans other apps like text readers

Oh... no thanks. The only games I'd want to play from back then is Mario 64 and Donkey Kong Country. The rest have all had their dedication from me. I'm onto the new and exciting.

If I want text reading apps and other nonsense I'll just use my phone for that :)

True - it was exciting at the time but that was yrs ago. It's interesting just to keep tabs on what happens on the vita scene though. Lots more potential!

I'm finding one of Vitas unexpected strengths is the PSN games that are coming out, eitheroriginal or from other platforms. Sound Shapes, Mutant Blobs and Thomas was Alone are all great little games and by all accounts Guacamelee is another good one too. Would recommend getting any of them.

Thomas Was Alone really any good? Looked like block pixels and moving them from point A to point B... not really my idea of fun unless I'm missing something?

Though I do agree with that assessment... the PSN games that are compatible with it seem to be a major selling point that they aren't advertising enough. With the lack of A list games coming out they really should market that feature so more people buy.

The narrative on Thomas adds a lot to the game, and the puzzles are decent too.

I really enjoyed TWA. Yes, its a simple little game but really well done and you can work through easily (and pick up all the trophies with little trouble). If it wasnt for Plus it would have totally passed me by and is a great example, for me, of what great value Plus is in getting access to titles that I wouldnt otherwise have played.

How long was the game do you think? 20+ hours? Less?

We only got a discount for it last week, but I'm sure we'll get it on Plus sometime down the road.

Nowhere near 20 hours. There's 100 levels I think but theyre mostly about 3 minutes in length. If my maths is right that's about 5-ish hours to get through, then go back and pick up the trophies. Probably done in 6 hours. Fits in the small but perfectly formed category though, for me at least!

Cool, so a good pick and play game if you have a few minutes. Though I'll definitely wait till it comes out on PS Plus now though.

Sweet, Vita is going to be here tomorrow. MUCH earlier than I expected. And I snagged this from Amazon just to ease the comfort issues with my large hands: Amazon.com: CTA Digital PS Vita Hand Grip: Video Games

I know I can't charge it with those grips on but I figure I won't be having too many marathon sessions with it plugged in anyways and if I need to charge while playing I can just take it off. Bewm!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So I gave in to temptation last night and bought Dokuro, Drawslasher (since it's $1.50 off), and Machinarium (screenshots looked similar to The Cave which I enjoyed).

Dokuro better be good RF since I went off your recommendation to get it! All in all only $25 for 3 games, not bad imo.

It is good..it's art style is unique, chalk drawn, and some of the puzzles are quite tricky,
A very well done, quirky japanese puzzle/platformer.

But anyhoo, you're at the other side of the world, so ner ner na na ner!!!

:devil: :rotfl:

I just hope it keeps me more entertained than Knytt Underground did... which I quite enjoyed. Though the trophy system for Knytt needed a platinum because you'd seriously have to put in 40+ hours on the Vita/PS3 to get every trophy. I quit playing it when I found that out... but I'll go back to it eventually because it was pretty fun!

So if Dokuro gives me the same degree of satisfaction playing it then I'll be happy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom