Vita hacked already?

PSP games, at the moment.

Hope they don't manage to get Vita games to run, although in all honesty it's only a matter of time unless Sony do something very quickly.

I imagine it will eventually lead to an offline-only vita console and as much as I'd love to have homebrew with n64 emulators, I'd rather have the online available with the vita.

It was always gonna happen. Sony will release updates to patch it and cat and mouse will carry on

If they get Vita games running Sony should release a patch that bricks the Vita for good. That'll put an end to it.

I didnt really care about it on PSP but the Vita is too good for it to fail.

I think if it gets hacked to play PSP games but NOT vita, then thats not a bad thing. After what sony did regarding UMDs already owned by PSP owners, that part at least they bloody deserve. But yeah, i dont want the actual Vita part to be hacked as that can only lead to a downward spiral. But PSP side only isnt too bad

I agree guys. My psp go was an emulator goldmine but i valued the games i bought. Annoyingly some of those cannot be played on my vita so i would run ISO's of those titles.
Will still buy legit games like i have done on my ipad.

Hacking did not kill the psp it probably prolonged it. NDS has been hacked to bits and hasn't died.

Might be time to go buy a vita then.

Hey,

Can only be a bad thing imho..without a doubt it leads to Piracy..:nono:

Piracy cause's some much damage in so many industries which in turn does effect us all.

I hope Sony release a patch to stop this asap.

Karmapolice

I personely believe that piracy didn't hurt psp that much, it was the lack of games that did it. Just look at the ds, so easy to hack & nearly everyone I knew did it! But there were loads of games available so the sales were still there. As for the psp, I was the only person I knew who had cfw.

FYI I only used it to demo games. If I liked them then I'd buy then, if I didn't then they were deleted. This in fact lead to me buying LOADS of psp games but hardly any ds games! LOL
with the 3ds & vita I won't even be attempting to hack them!

Hacking did not kill the psp it probably prolonged it. NDS has been hacked to bits and hasn't died.
TBH the only games that ever seem to sell well on Nintendo are their first party games like Mario and Zelda, everything else is a massive disappointment even the cod games.

I personely believe that piracy didn't hurt psp that much
It does, it frightens developers. Nintendo has had a established userbase with handheld for a long time hence there high sales.

This gen piracy has been on the minimal with 360 and PS3 mainly due to them not wanting to risk getting banned playing online which is a crucial aspect of playing video games. If you actually look at the PSP timeline you'll notice they had plenty of games during the first 15 months then it got killed down the road.

This hack looks like it just uses the old PSP style exploits to run unauthorized code in the PSP emulator, there's very little chance they could get it running anything outside of that (i.e. they won't get copied Vita games running with this method). So it looks pretty safe at the moment!

I would agree with jalaldevil, i believe piracy pretty much killed the PSP. There was a lack of games because devs had very little incentive to make games specific for the system. It was especially a problem with the PSP as it didn't necessarily require any additional hardware to achieve the hack which means anyone who can use google can do it (that's a lot of people!).

Selling well due to JRPG's and how easy it is to hack and run emulators...the reason most western developers dont develop for it anymore...:(

Sony are handling this with their usual hatchet-like subtlety, lol.

The 2 games that allow the exploit have been pulled from PSN and not just delisted - entirely removed. If you purchased either of the games you can no longer re-download them. No warning, no refunds, no offer of alternative games - just gone.

Another victory for digital downloads!

So you expect (sony) them to keep it up there then?

They'll compensate them without a doubt but removing the exploited game is their number one priority atm, they'll be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Give them time to patch the games or figure out something.

These are exploits within the PSP kernel, so won`t lead to the vita being hacked to play/pirate vita games. It is a concern as they`ve got unsigned code running on the device, which may be the first step back in to the vita kernel itself - only time will tell. For the moment not a threat to the Vita though.
Of course Sony could use this to be bold and innovative, and allow official access to the psp kernel so we could run emulators on the vita and support homebrew, while coming down hard on unofficial "hacks" that might threaten piracy on the vita (which is easier now the vita is much more "connected" than the PSP was). Of course they won`t, they`ll just play the cat and mouse with the devs.

Of course Sony could use this to be bold and innovative, and allow official access to the psp kernel so we could run emulators on the vita and support homebrew, while coming down hard on unofficial "hacks" that might threaten piracy on the vita (which is easier now the vita is much more "connected" than the PSP was). Of course they won`t, they`ll just play the cat and mouse with the devs.

I believe the "bold and innovative" bit is what they're aiming PS Suite at, time will tell whether it takes off or not...

TBH the only games that ever seem to sell well on Nintendo are their first party games like Mario and Zelda, everything else is a massive disappointment even the cod games.

It does, it frightens developers. Nintendo has had a established userbase with handheld for a long time hence there high sales.

This gen piracy has been on the minimal with 360 and PS3 mainly due to them not wanting to risk getting banned playing online which is a crucial aspect of playing video games. If you actually look at the PSP timeline you'll notice they had plenty of games during the first 15 months then it got killed down the road.

Other Sony systems that were hugely pirated on were the PS1 and PS2. 2 consoles that were kings of their time. Not supporting piracy, I buy all my games, music and films.

So you expect (sony) them to keep it up there then?
No, but to pull purchased games from the store and people's download lists and say not a single peep to customers in 4 weeks is not exactly great, is it? Sony have only said something about this today because people from NeoGAF reported this issue to some gaming sites that ran articles about it.

If they need to pull a game, fine, but communicate with people and let them know what's going on, whether the games will return to the store or whether they will get refunds, alternative games or whatever.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom