• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Visually Amazing Demo's

stevos

Distinguished Member
I have just ordered a new gaming PC after several years of just making do with a laptop.

Can you recommend some game demo's i can download that will show me what the pc is made of, and make me happy i sent the money :thumbsup:.

The 3dmark test demo's used to be pretty impressive, is this still the case?

The specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9550 2.83GHz Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Asus P5Q P45 Motherboard]
8GB PC2-6400 Memory
Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
750GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OEM
Samsung SM-2443BW 24" Widescreen TFT 1980x1200

Member 328449

Prominent Member
Decent spec PC so most games will run at pretty much maxed out. Try Call of duty 4/5 which are very good. Also Crysis.

robfosters

Established Member
The 3d mark 06 demos are still pretty awesome. My favourites are the one with the flying ship and the one in the arctic. Truly spectacular and would make any console wince in shame.

dub007

Established Member
The 3d mark 06 demos are still pretty awesome. My favourites are the one with the flying ship and the one in the arctic. Truly spectacular and would make any console wince in shame.

It still only a demo mate!!! so if the same was done on today's consoles i think it would look very close indeed:smashin:

Razor

Distinguished Member
It still only a demo mate!!! so if the same was done on today's consoles i think it would look very close indeed:smashin:

A console has the fraction of graphical power a decent pc has, it can barely do 1080p at 60fps.

Time Shift, Grid, PURE, Gears of War, Fallout, Unreal Tournament 3, Farcry 2 all look very nice. :)

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Give GRID a go as well, I tried it the other day. 1080p all max settings and as real joy to play, especially if you have a 360 controller.

avinitski

Prominent Member

as much as i love my 360 an uptodate PC will knock any console out the water.

360 came out in what 2005? that means its hardware was designed in around 2004. now compare a pc GFX card and processing power from 2004 to now.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys, i will download a few of these ready for delivery

Krakin

Established Member
These are more full games than demos apart from the first one which is just the first level of the game.

Here's an obvious one, download the Crysis playable demo :) It has a couple of built in benchmark tests, you'll find them in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Bin32 after you've installed it and they're called Benchmark_CPU and Benchmark_GPU. I suggest you go into the game to play once first before running the benchmarks though as they use whatever settings you choose for graphics. I suggest not using antialiasing so that you can have everything else very high.

EDIT:
Sorry I tried the UK link to the demo and the file simply wasn't there, you'll have to go here http://www.ea.com/crysis/ to get it, or if that's giving poor speed you might get a faster download from Gamershell. Oh and kudos to Chaosx who mentioned Crysis first but I missed seeing it :)

Also download HWMonitor as you'll want to check all your temperatures and voltages are good. Just leave it running in the background while you play Crysis and that should indicate any problems.

There's a small 33MB benchmark called Lightsmark which is for lighting effects which I thought was good. It's based around the same engine used for the free game World of Padman I think. Here's a link to some screenshots of Padman, screenshots of Lightsmark wouldn't do it justice so I suggest you just download and try it. Might want to download and play the game too :D

Trackmania Nations Forever looks good after you go into the options/advanced which is shown on the first screen and set them all to the highest quality and it's a completely free game. Word of warning only use Test one track, don't click that Test All Tracks option, it's a pain to get out of once it's running and seems to take forever. TMF is a big download but worth it as it can be played standalone where each colour of car is a new set of tracks, or online where the tracks are usually made by the players so can be unexpected and fun.

There are some free games from Steam you can get as it's a Nvidia card, you probably know that or have them but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Last edited:
Another vote here for FEAR 2 :smashin: Just played the demo tonight on my GTX260 on maximum everything @1920+1080 and it has to be one the best looking games i have ever seen :eek: stunning stuff! Fallout looks very nice aswell but FEAR 2 is crazy looking.

stevos

Distinguished Member
With only 5.5mb connection i think it might be a better idea for me just to spend £5 and buy a magazine, assuming they still do cover discs with demos on?

Anyone know of any of the mags that have any of the above on their cover discs at the min?

Singh400

Distinguished Member
There's a small 33MB benchmark called Lightsmark which is for lighting effects which I thought was good. It's based around the same engine used for the free game World of Padman I think. Here's a link to some screenshots of Padman, screenshots of Lightsmark wouldn't do it justice so I suggest you just download and try it. Might want to download and play the game too :D
Tried that Lightsmark last night, got an average of 480ish FPS. Can't be very good can it.

Another vote here for FEAR 2 :smashin: Just played the demo tonight on my GTX260 on maximum everything @1920+1080 and it has to be one the best looking games i have ever seen :eek: stunning stuff! Fallout looks very nice aswell but FEAR 2 is crazy looking.
Agreed on a F.E.A.R. 2. Looks brilliant even on my ancient 9800GTX+.

With only 5.5mb connection i think it might be a better idea for me just to spend £5 and buy a magazine, assuming they still do cover discs with demos on?

Anyone know of any of the mags that have any of the above on their cover discs at the min?
Get direct download links to all the demos mentioned and whack them in a download manager. They won't take that long on a 5.5Mbps connection.

Last edited:

Razor

Distinguished Member
Get direct download links to all the demos mentioned and whack them in a download manager. They won't take that long on a 5.5Mbps connection.

Agreed

Usama

Distinguished Member
Played FEAR 2 last night, everything maxed out 1920x1200 look's stunning. :smashin:

stevos

Distinguished Member
What is a decent and reliable download manager these days?

Razor

Distinguished Member
I would just use gamershell website and que up 2-3 downloads at a time. You will soon have everything you need. Gamershell is a great site and I normally max out my 20mb connection from their servers. EA games or Steam have good download managers. So does sites like File Planet. :)

Last edited:

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
I use STEAM and can get max 1-1.2 MB/sec.

Have rarely seen above this from any download source, can't max out my 50mb connection :(

Took me 30mins to download a 2gig file :( while playing L4D with no lag

:p hehe

Last edited:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I use a command line download manager (yar me so 1337) called wget. But some of the best ones are FreeDownloadManager and InternetDownloadManager. IIRC GamerShell doesn't give out direct downloads. So I'd go with direct download links from official website(s).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom