Visual Voice Mail on O2 - Setup Issues

dalepearson

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a new iPhone4 yesterday, and this is my first iPhone.
When I go into the voice mail section it keeps on asking me to Set Up.

For some reason it keeps forgetting the settings, I have tried enabling and disabling voice mail, but no joy.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I set mine up yesterday, and today when I got a vm, i had to re-set it up again. Just checked now and it's asking to set up again! So I will...Hoping it's just network usage causing issues - either way it's gotta be an o2 thing...not the phone! (I hope):)

have you phoned 901? when you do it should let u all set it up, this fixed my girlfriends 3g when that kept playing around.

worth a try if it happens again...Thanks!

not yet.
I spoke to O2 iPhone support, and they suggest the handset might be faulty.
I am not convinced, its either software related or a problem at O2's end.

I am going to give it till next week, when things settle down, and see what happens then.

Setup of an option would suggest Phone. If it were saving the settings and not working then id think service provider.

I'm on iPhone at moment but can't check.
But I'd recommend disabling voicemail (1760 I think)
Dialing 901 and setting a password if you have not already.
Text state or skate (you'll have to use google to check this ) to an o2 number.
Then enable voicemail 1750 I think.

You can try leaving out the state bit I didn't need to do it.

I've got same issue. Came on here hoping for a solution.
it is pretty annoying having to setup everytime you go to visual voicemail

I just called o2, spoke to one of the iphone team - he told me to dial ##002# to reset all the settings network side (or something) then reset network setting on the phone (via options and general). Phone reboots automatically - dial 1750 to turn on VVM - he then sent me a test message - VVM working at O2's side so problem is with iOS. Every time the Phone 'app' is killed it forgets the setup.

THE ABOVE STEPS DID NOT CHANGE THIS

The guy suggested that I do a backup and then a complete erase / restore.

I have just done this - in the middle of the restore now but I checked the VVM (just before I started restoring) by killing the Phone 'app' and it appears to have fixed it - whether or not it remains fixed after the restore is another question - might have to go through the initial setup etc again.

Hope this helps.

Edit - restoring seemed to break it again... :(

Setting up again from the start without restore (or o2 carrier update) to see if that fixes it.

Ok full erase and starting again from scratch fixed it for me.

Last edited:
I just called o2, spoke to one of the iphone team - he told me to dial ##002# to reset all the settings network side (or something) then reset network setting on the phone (via options and general). Phone reboots automatically - dial 1750 to turn on VVM - he then sent me a test message - VVM working at O2's side so problem is with iOS. Every time the Phone 'app' is killed it forgets the setup.

THE ABOVE STEPS DID NOT CHANGE THIS

The guy suggested that I do a backup and then a complete erase / restore.

I have just done this - in the middle of the restore now but I checked the VVM (just before I started restoring) by killing the Phone 'app' and it appears to have fixed it - whether or not it remains fixed after the restore is another question - might have to go through the initial setup etc again.

Hope this helps.

Edit - restoring seemed to break it again... :(

Setting up again from the start without restore (or o2 carrier update) to see if that fixes it.

Ok full erase and starting again from scratch fixed it for me.

Hi

Full erase, is that via the iPhone or iTunes? I will give this ago tomorrow when my old number transfers over to my iPhone 4. When u fone o2 customer services, is there an option for the iPhone team or do u have to ask to be transferred to them?

Thanks

Baz

there is an option but I cant remember it, to be honest i think that part was irellevant

I'm being driven mad by inability to get VisualVoicemail on my 3GS. Basically

3GS bought on PAYG ages ago
Used with standard o2 contract SIM I've had for years
Jailbroken with Spirit
Have now added iPhone bolt-on to my contract and got confirmation from 02 it's been done.

Blasted thing simply refuses to offer VV, always simply dialing 901.

Done -

Synced to iTunes 9.2
Called ##002#
1760 then 1750
Reset network information in the iPhone (don't want a full reset due to jb)
Left myself a message

The best I've seen is a '+1'' badge appear on the phone icon, but voicemail still goes to 901.

I'm starting to think I need a new SIM, as I tried another o2 SIM issued on a SIMplicity for iPhone contract and VV came on right away!

Hi

I done a full erase. Its all sorted and working fine now.

Baz

I'm being driven mad by inability to get VisualVoicemail on my 3GS. Basically

3GS bought on PAYG ages ago
Used with standard o2 contract SIM I've had for years
Jailbroken with Spirit
Have now added iPhone bolt-on to my contract and got confirmation from 02 it's been done.

Blasted thing simply refuses to offer VV, always simply dialing 901.

Done -

Synced to iTunes 9.2
Called ##002#
1760 then 1750
Reset network information in the iPhone (don't want a full reset due to jb)
Left myself a message

The best I've seen is a '+1'' badge appear on the phone icon, but voicemail still goes to 901.

I'm starting to think I need a new SIM, as I tried another o2 SIM issued on a SIMplicity for iPhone contract and VV came on right away!

I thought VVM was only on iPhone specific contract, wont work with PAYG or another standard contract.

Hi

I done a full erase. Its all sorted and working fine now.

Baz

Good......Good

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

Last edited:
amcluesent, have you called 901 when you havent had a message and set your mail box pin number?

does full reset lose all music etc? Took me ages to sync phone at first and would prefer not to have to do it all again.
got about 16gb of stuff on there just now so it would be a pain to do it again just to get this working but it is also annoying me so would like to get it sorted

I decided it wasn't worth trying to get O2's voicemail sorted - on my 3GS visual voicemail often wasn't available and I had to resort to the old way of listening to messages one after the other.

I downloaded a free App from the AppStore called 'HulloMail'. The HulloMail service takes over your voicemail service, so unanswered calls get dealt with by them. You get an alert on your phone and a very nice list of messages in the Hullomail app with contact pictures if you have these set up in your contacts list. The HulloMail app icon shows how many voicemails you have which you haven't listened to in the same way as Mail tells you how many messages you haven't read - a number in a red circle. Best of all the messages are also sent to your email address. If you allow HulloMail to sync, then your email voicemail messages will always reflect those on your phone - delete one on either device and the situation is reflected on the other device too.

The HulloMail service is completely free and is straightforward to set up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom