Visual Voice Mail on O2 - Setup Issues

I got a new iPhone4 yesterday, and this is my first iPhone.
When I go into the voice mail section it keeps on asking me to Set Up.

For some reason it keeps forgetting the settings, I have tried enabling and disabling voice mail, but no joy.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I just called o2, spoke to one of the iphone team - he told me to dial ##002# to reset all the settings network side (or something) then reset network setting on the phone (via options and general). Phone reboots automatically - dial 1750 to turn on VVM - he then sent me a test message - VVM working at O2's side so problem is with iOS. Every time the Phone 'app' is killed it forgets the setup.

THE ABOVE STEPS DID NOT CHANGE THIS

The guy suggested that I do a backup and then a complete erase / restore.

I have just done this - in the middle of the restore now but I checked the VVM (just before I started restoring) by killing the Phone 'app' and it appears to have fixed it - whether or not it remains fixed after the restore is another question - might have to go through the initial setup etc again.

Hope this helps.

Edit - restoring seemed to break it again... :(

Setting up again from the start without restore (or o2 carrier update) to see if that fixes it.

Ok full erase and starting again from scratch fixed it for me.

I am having exactlythe same problem... Phoned O2 today, and the girl i spoke too has had a few calls about this now, she is raising a case, and calling me back tonight. Hopefully if this is a software glitch it may now get sorted...

Dave

Seems to a few teething troubles with the o2/IO4 combination.
I had to do the ##002# thing to stop the "Diverts active" popup when I made a phone call. Seems to be ok now.
If I go into the General > About on the Iphone it keeps prompting me that there is a setting change for my carrier that needs to be applied.
I get that same message everytime I plug it into Itunes too - regardless if I say yes apply it or no don't apply it, it keeps coming back.
When I first setup the phone I got no MMS ability - no camera icon by the SMS message entry box - even though I got an MMS from O2 telling me it's all been setup. I managed to change the settings manually from a O2 forum post which has resolved it.

Spoke to soon, even though the camera button is there, it doesn't actually let me send anything or receive anything either :(
On the phone to O2 at the minute, they noted that I have no visual voicemail menus either. Looks like the software is up the duff :(

Last edited:
Hey!!!! Had the same issue with constantly having to run the voicemail password & greeting wizard, in the phone app, again and again each time the phone app was fully closed from the multitask screen or when the iphone was fully switched off and on again. Grrrr!!!!!

I know some people fixed this by doing a full erase of the iphone and then not restoring from their backup. But this is an annoying solution to say the least!!

So hopefully these slightly simplier steps may work for you. Sorted it for me and saved my sanity too!

• Phone O2 voicemail setup on 1750 and wait till you're told your O2 messaging service has been switched on (this step may not be essential)
  • Then phone O2 voicemail itself on 901 and press "*", then "4" for manage your mailbox settings, "4" again for change your security settings, set a new pin (even if it's the same one you had before), confirm the pin, then in the same menu press "2" to enable the pin (meaning you'll now need to enter it in future to access 901)
  • Now on your iphone4 go into "Settings", then "General", then "Reset", choose "Reset all settings" (this will lose your pin, passwords, wifi, background...) but it will retain all apps in order, photos, text messages etc. NOTE: Tried just "Reset Network Settings" first, but this didn't help.
  • Once the phone restarts after the reset, setup any necessary pins or passwords again and check your voicemail tab in the phone app (for me it went straight in, no more annoying setup screen!)
  • Now just tidy up your phone settings to how you like them and redo wifi passwords etc..... You can also go back into 901 and change the pin and turn pin access for 901 off again if you like. NOTE: May take a while for it to detect any voicemails you leave yourself to test it.

Hope that's clear enough for people and really hope it works for others? Was driving me insane and all good now :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm going to do a new full backup of the iphone4 now!!!!!

Last edited:
Nice one seems to have worked for me for now anyway!

Aaargh think i am going mad. Since i reset settings i don't appear to be able to set my lock the way i had it before. I am sure i had it set to turn screen off after couple of minutes but the passcode to unlock would kick in a few minutes later.
When i set screen to auto lock now the require passcode option only has immediately. It says underneath 'shorter times are more secure' but no obvious option to change it.
I am sure i could before i reset the settings. is there something obvious i need to turn on or change so i can set the passcode lock a few minutes after the screen autolock?

Should be as simple as going to "Settings" then "General" then select "Auto-Lock" for whatever you want (1 minute suits me). Then under Autolock option select "Passcode Lock" and put in your code. Then choose "Require Passcode" and set that to how often you want before having to input your pin. :thumbsup:

Hey!!!! Had the same issue with constantly having to run the voicemail password & greeting wizard, in the phone app, again and again each time the phone app was fully closed from the multitask screen or when the iphone was fully switched off and on again. Grrrr!!!!!

I know some people fixed this by doing a full erase of the iphone and then not restoring from their backup. But this is an annoying solution to say the least!!

So hopefully these slightly simplier steps may work for you. Sorted it for me and saved my sanity too!

• Phone O2 voicemail setup on 1750 and wait till you're told your O2 messaging service has been switched on (this step may not be essential)
  • Then phone O2 voicemail itself on 901 and press "*", then "4" for manage your mailbox settings, "4" again for change your security settings, set a new pin (even if it's the same one you had before), confirm the pin, then in the same menu press "2" to enable the pin (meaning you'll now need to enter it in future to access 901)
  • Now on your iphone4 go into "Settings", then "General", then "Reset", choose "Reset all settings" (this will lose your pin, passwords, wifi, background...) but it will retain all apps in order, photos, text messages etc. NOTE: Tried just "Reset Network Settings" first, but this didn't help.
  • Once the phone restarts after the reset, setup any necessary pins or passwords again and check your voicemail tab in the phone app (for me it went straight in, no more annoying setup screen!)
  • Now just tidy up your phone settings to how you like them and redo wifi passwords etc..... You can also go back into 901 and change the pin and turn pin access for 901 off again if you like. NOTE: May take a while for it to detect any voicemails you leave yourself to test it.

Hope that's clear enough for people and really hope it works for others? Was driving me insane and all good now :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm going to do a new full backup of the iphone4 now!!!!!

You my new found friend, are a legend!!! Worked for me!! :clap::thumbsup:

I shall now wait for O2 to phone me back and maybe inform them of this!! lol

Dave

Should be as simple as going to "Settings" then "General" then select "Auto-Lock" for whatever you want (1 minute suits me). Then under Autolock option select "Passcode Lock" and put in your code. Then choose "Require Passcode" and set that to how often you want before having to input your pin. :thumbsup:

Yeah that is what i had set up but when i reset the settings to get visual voicemail to work without setting it up everytime i now don't have an option to put in a time for 'Require Passcode'
I definitely had it before but now all i have is immediately which is ticked and can't unselect it.
underneath it says 'Shorter times are more secure' but no options below to select.
have tried rebooting phone but that hasn't changed anything.
not a huge problem as i had it set to lock a few minutes after screen lock anyway but just weird that i can't change it now. only noticed it after i reset settings as i had to go in to set it up again.:confused:

Got mine sorted last night, it seems the O2 bit of carrier settings was stuck. When you go into the General > About screen I was on O2 7.0 not 7.1 as it should be.
I had to restore the phone as a new phone, then restore it again from my older backup I had in Itunes. Seems to be all ok now, got MMS and VV working.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom