visual input into amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IGADHIA, Jun 5, 2002.

1. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont get it!

people are talking about putting in composite/rgb etc etc inputs into the amp?

why?

why not take it from the dvd straight into the display?

let me know if I am asking stupid questions...

thanks

:confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,087
    I do this on my setup.

I have the following video sources:

A DVD player
    A Laserdisc Player
    2 x VCRs
    A Digital Set Top Box.

By routing both sound and picture into the amp, I use the amp as a switching device.

I have one output cable from the amp going to my projector, and another to the TV.

By doing this, whatever source I select on my amp is routed to the TV and the PJ. It means that I can use only one input on the TV and one input on the PJ for all sources. It also means that, whatever source I have selected is also routed to the VCRs for recording.

If you only use one source (eg a DVD) there ain't any point. Nut if you have many, it makes life MUCH easier.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You would be right to say that a direct connection, using component or RGB, is best but it may be a matter of convenience (audio and video will switch when I select a different source) or necessity if the number of inputs at your telly are used up or not all support the required signal form (e.g. S-Video).

As well for using the OSD you need at least a composite connection between amp and TV.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although i am in the other camp that believes that, where possible, it is better to route the video signal direct to the tv and use the best video signal. Then take an audio connection from the tv to the amp for use with the analogue audio sources and digital sources should have a direct connection.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,087
    Which is all very well, provided that the TV has enough inputs to act as a switching centre, rather than the amp.

And, whilst it arguably offers the best transmission for the picture, you are of course, providing an indirect route for the sound, which presumably has the same propensity to degrade, as an indirect route for video via the amp would.

I would contend that, as long as the equipment and interconnects are to a good enough standard, the extent to which the picture signal is degraded when routed via the amp, is minimal or none.

In my case, I use a ceiling mounted projector. It has a single SVideo input, one composite, and two component - and no outputs at all..........

That's why I can't use it as a switching centre. So I use my amp.

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree which is why i said where possible.

Most items can be connected by scart and the audio is carried that way to the tv. This saves the connections problem. (you know that but others reading may not ;) )

Best thing is for people to try both methods. If there is no audio quality loss, then it will be ideal, if there is, then go direct.

7. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so I ask this question again in here, (i asked elsewhere but people here seem to have got the gist of it all!)

I have to connect the following...

CD player
    MD Player
    Digibox
    Xbox
    imac
    dvd player

all to a denon 3802 with a panasonic TH50PW4B

what would be the ideal route?! what extra connectors/converters am I going to need?

as always people.... many thanks...!

8. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello there!

My brother & I have the same amp as you & he switches all his video through it as he only has one s-video i/p available on his plasma panel.
    I however have my DVD & Digibox daisy-chained directly to my Tv’s one RGB scart have a video plumbed into a composite one.
    I also have a separate s-video connection for the amps on screen display.
    I think that you'd have a problem passing all your video sources through your amp is they don't all have s-video o/p as the Denon doesn't accept RGB & you don't want to resort to composite!

Cheers, Paul

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before i answer, what is an imac and what connection/video signals does it offer.

Is your xbox able to do RGB, s-video or component video?
    Is your dvd able to do RGB and/or component video?
    Does your tv have component video inputs?

10. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???

hehe! i havent bought any of this stuff yet! just looking for possibilties!

hoping someone out there would have a similar set up and be able to enlighten me!

thanks anyway mate!

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i suggest you make the connection and video options part of your research.

If the tv has component video inputs, make sure you get a dvd player with component video output, such as the Toshiba (or if the xbox has them that's fine)

You could aim to get a dvd player with 2 scart sockets and passes RGB (like the Sony players)

These two things would alter significantly the way you would connect up and view.

On a screen of the size you are you getting, you will be wanting to use RGB or component video where possible. Composite video will look ugly. S-video is ok for a fallback option but in most cases RGB and component will be better.