Visual C++ Runtime error ............ help please

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by smallieboy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm running XP on a Compaq Mini netbook that I mostly use for browsing and keeping records while on holiday.

I generally use Firefox but had to 're-enable' IE (- 7, I think) as a site I was looking at didn't support FF well. Since then I've had runtime error's popping up at, what seems like, totally random times (including, for example, during startup and shutdown!). The message I get is

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    ---------------------------
    Runtime Error!

Program: C:\...

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

As you can see, it doesn't actually tell me which program/application is causing the problem.

Has anyone got any ideas how to sort this please? I've re-installed IE7, updated to IE8 and even updated Visual C++ all to no avail.

I don't store anything much on the PC so can do a restore back to original settings but it would be a pain in the a$$ to have to do so.

Thanks in advance

2. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    try a scan with malwarebytes see if it picks up anything dodgy, runtime errors can also be caused by failing memory and many other hardware issues so try a few runs with something like memtest.

3. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maddogb

MWB and memtest showed no problems so I tried a restore using the Roxio Back on Track utility that HP put on instead of a restore partition. Can't really tell it's done anything - everything looks exactly the same and I still get the error messges. Looks as if my only option is to see if I can find a way to reinstall XP - trouble is, no CD's cos HP don't supply them with netbooks and I don't trust Back on Track to have produced a proper restore 'set'.

Perhaps I'll go and buy an Android tab!

Thanks for the help

4. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maddogb - not sure if you'd know the answer to this but someone suggested removing and reseating the memory; do you think this is a viable solution?

thnx

5. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    if there was a serious enough error and it was because of bad seating/poor contact i would of thought memtest would of picked that up using the same address repeatedly.
    Saying that, a quick clean of contacts will never do any harm as long as antistatic precautions are followed and a "clean" solvent such as ethanol or similar is used.

At the level Visual C operates at i would expect it to be more likely there is a software error here, otherwise hardware tends to produce more "random" errors not just in a single library of code as you are describing.

It might be helpful to post more details on the hardware, i suspect its simply a bad call from a program running at start up /and or on a schedule so use msconfig to remove all non ms stuff from starting up (services and startup items, also disable the ms scheduler.

6. aa1xxbb2zzzz

aa1xxbb2zzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i am new here.

7. smallieboy

smallieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maddogb

I haven't used the netbook for a few days and the battery ran completely flat. Recharged it and by a strange coincidence I've had no problems since - I doubt the two are connected but (for the moment) the problem seems to have gone.

Thanks for your help.

8. aa1xxbb2zzzz

aa1xxbb2zzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    congrats your problem solved...........