vista

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by [email protected], Jan 2, 2007.

1. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is this, how does it differ from XP and what benefits does it have.

2. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Windows Vista is the successor to Windows XP. Alot has changed from when XP was released in 2001.

There are too many things to list for how and what Vista has to offer over XP. Best bet is to research it using Google.

In short it features a new audio and visual sub system, its completly different from XP in that manner. It also comes in a several differents edition. The main ones being Home Basic, Home Premuim, Business and Ultimate. There are other editions aswell such as Enterprise and Starter. But this won't be available to the general consumer.

For more information on Windows Vista go here. To see which edition is right for you go here.

3. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi.the computer im getting is this

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/116052/rb/24179575216

after reading aload of vista information,i would like to vista premium,im not sure if the acer can handle it.can anyone confirm,iv found a bunch of requirements that vista premium would need on a pc tower in order to work.can anyone help me out and tell me if the acer is capable.

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
    1 GB of system memory.
    Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
    40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    DVD-ROM Drive3.
    Audio output capability.
    Internet access capability.

thanks

4. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found this aswell

Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready footnotes​

Processor speed is specified as the nominal operational processor frequency for the device. Some processors have power management which allows the processor to run at lower rate to save power.
    If the GPU uses shared memory, then no additional graphics memory is required beyond the 1 GB system memory requirement; If the GPU uses dedicated memory then 128MB is required.
    A DVD-ROM may be external (not integral, not built into the system).​

5. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    The Acer should be OK with Vista, but ideally you should get a PC that has a 'Vista ready' label on it. If you wait a few weeks you will be able to get a PC with Vista pre-installed for you.

If you are a non-technical user (and I get the impression you are) you might be better starting off with Windows XP. You will find that some hardware and software won't behave properly in Vista as it is a very new operating system.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,203
    If you are going the Vista route, you should ideally get a graphics card which can handle DirectX 10

7. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Anything around or above these specs, would be fine for Vista:

RAM: Atleast 1.5 GB or more
    GFX: Must be DX10 generation card, to get full benifit of Vista - currently on nVidia has a dx10 gen card out (GeForce 8). ATi will be releasing the R600 soon.
    SFX: Doesn't really matter, just go with something current.
    HDD: Must be atleast 15 GB.
    You must have a DVD drive.

8. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    to get the full benefit of the components you're buying (read any PC) I'd avoid Vista and keep XP Pro Sp2.
    Unless of course you want to encypt the content of your hard drive and run the overheads and complications associated with an OS written to meet Hollywood's DRM requirements.

9. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Have you actually tried Vista for yourself, instead of reading other people bloated opinions?

Like it or not Vista IS the next step, in computing. Everytime a new Windows version comes out (remember 2000 -> XP), certain people moan. Sooner or later, you will upgrade. The only thing that is stopping me from going Vista 100% is that the majority of the software that I use on XP isn't compatible (not correctly anyway) with Vista.

Before you say, that Vista should be compatible with older software, no it shouldn't. Software developers (ie Creative) have had five years, to get into action.

10. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes I've tried Vista, it's part of my day job.
    I'll admit to not having experimented with a HD-DVD unit with it yet, but the specs for operation with HD material speak for them selves. Bloated opinions are unessecary when compared to the Windows content-protection requirements documentation itself.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,203
    I won't be going to Vista in a hurry. I remember the problems I had with games and software that wouldn't run when I upgraded to XP. I also had to throw my scanner away as that was not compatible. to be cynical it just seems like another payday for the hardware/software companies with thanks to Microsoft once again.
    start hovis advert music:-
    I remember the good old days of multi-user DOS when a single computer with 4MB RAM would support upto 8 dumb terminals all running concurrently.
    Stop hovis advert music

12. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am top with computers,im only 18 but i can use a computer.i just dont understand all the insides of the pc tower.i wanted that vista premium, with the aero software.That would look pretty amazing on a 50" plasma.the problem is though,if i get a computer now,thats not pre installed with windows vista how will it differ to a computer that is pre installed with it.what do you suggest i do, wait a few weeks.
    i defo want vista premium but if im going to have to pay fortunes for a pc thats capable of running it then i might need to change decision.
    Basically im looking for a computer thats high in memory, dual core,i dont game at ALL.so that parts not important.i just want a high memory,fast computer.like the acer model,which i showed the link earlier.is this possible with a budget of around £350/£400.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,203
    If I was in your position then I would wait and buy a computer with Vista already installed. That way you are certain that it will work with all the components inside the PC.

14. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    prob best to wait at least 2 months so they can iron out any major problems that might surface on mass use

15. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +356
    OS X anyone???

;-)

16. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I've had Vista RC2 on my PC for a month or two now and was hacked off at how many programs seemed to not work properly. Found by setting the compatibility mode for each program (via properties -> compatibility tab) to XP they worked properly in most cases.

Still not convinced Vista is miles better than XP though. Just seems flashier and not all the changes have been for the better, just seem to have been changed for the sake of it.

17. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'd like to play all my PC games thanks.

18. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Yeah I know about that, but I would prefer running applications on Vista that were made specifically for it.

19. waf-tastic

waf-tastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It's good to see Microsoft addressing the security nightmares of the past/present, but why they waste time and money on things like Aero and sidebars I don't know. They don't seem to be able to accept that there's nothing wrong with third-party apps to do these things. I use XP at work and home, but turn the themes off - they add absolutuly nothing unless you just stare at the screen all day instead of doing something with it!