Vista/XP help please (dual boot)

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by DaddyDee, Jan 22, 2008.

1. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi, I could do with some help setting up my notebook. I have a notebook with Windows Vista Ultimate as the OS. I have been told I can set up my notebook with Windows XP Pro as well, as a dual boot system, is this correct?

If I can how do I go about this, is it stright forward enough for a non-techy kind of guy like me to do? Do I have to install a whole new set of drivers for everything, once I have installed the new OS?

Also, what is the differance with Windows XP Pro normal and OEM? OEM is a lot cheaper, but can I keep re-installing it, does it come with reg codes, etc?

As you can see I'm not too clued up with this sort of stuff, so any help would be very welcome.

Cheers
    :)

2. md1542

md1542

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hey,

You can indeed dual boot with Vista and XP Pro. Rather than type out eveything here, see full instructions at this link: http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html

Its actually relatively straight forward, but you WILL need to download all the appropriate XP drivers for your machine. You should be able to do this easily enough though from the manufacturers website. Just download them and either burn to CD, or put them the hard drive somewhere that will be accessible from both OS's.

Cheers

3. md1542

md1542

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Oh, and regarding OEM software: This is software that comes bundled with, installed on, or packaged with computer hardware. This software is licensed for use only with the specific hardware. Theoretically - you should only get it with a specific machine, and not off the shelf or from a shop.

But in terms of functionality, its exactly the same as the standard XP Pro version. The licence keys etc should be genuine and valid.

4. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Ok, thanks for that. For some reason the website you linked is blocked on my works PC. I'll have to wait until I get home to view it.

So there should be no problems with me purchasing the OEM version of XP pro?

Thanks agian.

5. md1542

md1542

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Its a bit of a dodgy one. Officially microsoft only licence OEM software to be sold as part of a package along with hardware components or complete systems.

See this description for more details:

http://www.dabs.com/Article.aspx?NavigationKey=4294966792+4294967288&ArticleID=486

If you're buying it on its own its theoretically not legit, which is why people like Amazon don't sell OEM software.

That said, technically speaking, if you go ahead and buy it, it will should still work exactly as if you'd bought the product retail. So its really you're decision.

Regarding the link I sent, not sure why its blocked - its not a dodgy site! If you just google Vista & XP dual boot, you'll get hundreds of sites with full instructions on how to do it. That was just one of the first I picked... :thumbsup: