Vista x64 SP2 and Nvidia Driver 185.85 -- Warnings!

BenTheBookie

Some of you will have seen the myriad of problems I have been having lately setting up and configuring my HTPC, with things like Refresh Rates and Xonar issues..

Just to let people know I have just discovered (mainly thanks to other peoples help and assistance!!) that two of the major problems have been caused by SP2 for Vista 64 bit, and also (and more suprisingly!) the latest Nvidia drivers (185.85)

I used the ones that came with the mobo on this install and all was working fine apart from Cuda for CoreAVC, so went to update, and checked the Nvidia boards before I did it...glad I did!

Full of complaints and problems about sooo many things, so I hope I can save a few people some hassle by saying DON'T DO IT!! :)

sebna

Can you say more about what is the problem with NV drivers?

I am also on them ATM and my CoreAV seem to work fine - but well I am not sure how it is supposed to work.

I am getting with CUDA on, about 15 - 20% CPU usage (I got amd 5050e).

Thanks

BenTheBookie

I dont think there is a problem with Cuda itself, the problems (dont get me wrong -- for some people it is ok) are with things like refresh rates and resolutions changing, and poor framerates.

For me it was also causing tearing in a large number of video files.

jameson_uk

and also (and more suprisingly!) the latest Nvidia drivers (185.85)
Don't you have a 9400 based board? If so then I am not sure the 185.85 drivers are not the correct ones. I made this mistake previously and upgraded to the Geforce drivers but this broke LPCM playback and a few other things. If you select nForce from the drivers instead of Geforce and then nForce 7 Series | nForce 730i/Geforce 9300/9400, I think these are the official IGP drivers?

For me it was also causing tearing in a large number of video files.
Was this outside TMT3 ?

wolvers

Distinguished Member
Yep, 185.85 are pants. I went back to 182.08 and all is well again.

A few peeps in that large HDAV thread saying the same.

Blu4KHD

Yep, 185.85 are pants. I went back to 182.08 and all is well again.

A few peeps in that large HDAV thread saying the same.

Totally agree with Wolvers here on those drivers i lost 1080p/50hz altogether with the new drivers had to revert to the old ones and all is fine again

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom