Vista x64 MC Codecs

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Hi,

What codec(s) to I need to get Vista MC to play .avi files. I've tried DivX and ffdshow but neither work.

They do however work with Media Player!

Ta/...

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Just installed it, and MC still says it can't find the required codec to play the file.

Do I need to configure anything within the decoding app of choice - ffdshow/divx/xvid etc

TCM2007

Novice Member
What sort of .avi file? AVI isn't a codec, its a "package" for video and audio which can ve encoded with a wide range of codecs.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
What sort of .avi file? AVI isn't a codec, its a "package" for video and audio which can ve encoded with a wide range of codecs.

Yeah I know that!

AVI files vary - now tried ffdshow, divx, xvid, Vista Codec Package - all work within Media Player but not within the Media Center app.

Getting very annoying now! Surely i'm not the only person in the world to have tried this who is running Vista Ultimate x64

kaygeebee

I installed initially after searching Google a "so called" all in one Vista Codec pack. It had a 64bit add on also...

In the end and after some usage I ended up un-installing them all except for XVID and FFDSHOW.

I am 100% using Media Centre on my Vista 64 setup to watch .avi etc etc.

only thing I can't do is enable the AC3 output via Media centre but I can thru Media player.. i'm told this is something to do with DRM routing but i'm yet to find a satisfiable answer or solution.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
OK.

I will try XVid and FFDShow again - did you leave both programs with default settings, as I tried these to begin with and got the 'no codec' error message with both of them within Media Center.

As stated above, Media Player worked fine with all that I tried.

kaygeebee

I think (as i'm not infront of my Vista setup just now) the only two things I changed were the DIVX and one other applet in FFDSHOW to reflect the XVID codec usage.

other than that, I didn't change a thing...

if that doesnt work i'll post screen grabs of my setup to you after the footie tonight.. :smashin:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
Just re-installed FFDShow and Media Center still isn't playing damn AVI files - same error message about can't find the right codecs! They do still work in Media Player though.

Very frustrating!

Valo^

I have this problem too....so would be interested in finding out a fix:)
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64, with the Vista Codec Pack installed with the x64 add-on pack also. No .avi files play in media centre but will play perfectly in media player.

Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom