Vista Ultimate Boot Up Errors

Timh

Distinguished Member
Hi, my son has had vista working on his computer for a few days now however when he booted it up this morning it came up with a few errors.

"logonUI.exe - Bad Image
C:\windows\system32\shgina.dll is either not designed to tun on windows or it contains an error."

He also has the same error but saying "system32\oleacc.ddl" instead.

After this the computer shows the vista logo and then goes to a black screen and stays that way. When he boots into safe mode he gets the same error but can get onto the desktop. From there he can only browse his files and launch internet explorer 7.0 He cannot launch any other programs such as Avast as they come up with errors such as "ashAvast.exe - Bad image".

He ran a program called "Stinger" which checks the computer for virus's but it showed that the computer was clean. From there he has put his vista disk in and attempted to repair the windows, and also go back to an earlier restore point when the computer was running fine but nothing has worked.

He checked his processes under task manager and the only things running were:
csrss.exe
Explorer.exe
Taskmgr.exe
Winlogon.exe

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Ah your son has been trying to install a customized logon UI screen and gone wrong badly.

LogonUI.exe and shgina.dll both contain image resources that related to the logon screen. Some people replace those image with custom ones. Then rebuild the exe and dll files and offer them up for download.

Hopefully, before he replaced the original files with the hacked ones he made back ups. But I don't think he did that.

You need to replace the hacked files with the original files.

You can find the original version of logonui.exe here:
C:Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-authentication-logonui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_635c5092764d99de

You can find the original version of shgina.dll here:
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shgina_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_c640714022f92de8

I've no idea what oleacc.ddl, so I'm gonna assume you mean oleacc.dll. You can find the original version of oleacc.dll here:
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-oleacc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_684dfbd22578aaaf

You'll need to boot into safe mode to replace those files.

You might want to try last know good configuration before you try the above. Might save you some hassle. You can access that from the same screen as safe mode.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Thanks, he is going to attempt what you recommended doing.

I don't suppose windows blinds could have caused this problem?

Timh

Distinguished Member
Found the files but Vista will not give permission to replace the files in safe mode. :(

echrada

Banned
Use your vista disk to boot with and go to repair and then system restore and restore it from there to an earlier date preferably 5 days before.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Use your vista disk to boot with and go to repair and then system restore and restore it from there to an earlier date preferably 5 days before.

Tried that :(

Decided to format now.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Thanks, he is going to attempt what you recommended doing.

I don't suppose windows blinds could have caused this problem?
Yes it could have.

Found the files but Vista will not give permission to replace the files in safe mode. :(
Try killing explorer.exe and just replacing the files via cmd. If that doesn't work you'll need to disable WFP.

Timh has already stated that this method was tried and it failed.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom