Vista Surround Sound problems

marcus2704

Ive installed Vista 32 bit and am trying to get surround sound working through Media Player Classic. I have a number of MKV files which play the video fine, but only output sound in stereo. I use an Optical cable which connects into my Denon 3808 receiver.

Within Media Player Classic Ive chosen Realtek HD Audio as the output, whilst within Vista have enabled DTS and Dolby Digital options. Ive downloaded and installed the latest Realtek Vista driver for Audio. If I use Windows Media Player to play WMV-HD files, I do get surround sound, however this wont play MKVs and to be honest I dont really like the VLC interface (it also doesnt remember half of my settings).

Is there anything special I need to do to get Media Player Classic playing MKV & WMV-HD files with surround sound within a Vista OS?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
To overcome many issues in getting 5.1 out of PC's (notabally Hard drive based movies and Games) I always connect to a AV amp using 3x 3.5mm to stereo phono cables to the AV amps 5.1 direct in. Works everytime.

marcdbl

I would recommend using the excellent (and free) ac3filter for all your audio decoding.

Settings that work for me can be seen here.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom