Vista S3 Sleep State

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Frosty Predator, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Frosty Predator

Frosty Predator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have Vista RC2 (MCE) installed. I am trying to get S3 sleep state to work but it doesn't seem to want to automtically go into its sleep mode. I can force it to enter sleep but the fans are still running.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Dell 5150C
    Black Gold pcie twin tuner
    ATI X600SE grahics card

2. Martin Chatfiel

Martin Chatfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have tried Vista RTM (i.e. final build, not RC) on two different machines and the S3 standby doesn't work on either. In both cases it seems to save everything to disk (like hibernate), shut down, then restart or crash. Both machines go into S3 fine with XP MCE.

I would be interested to know if anyone has this working, or is 'Sleep' in Vista not the same as Standby/Hibernate in XP

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure what the difference between hibernate and sleep is, but my Vista RC2 seems to go to sleep and wake just fine. Normally this is performed in MCE, either manually using the 'sleep' button on the remote or from the 'tasks' menu, or automatically via a programmed recoring. It seems to wake, fo the recording, then sleep again. When it's asleep the fans stop (in fact i think everything stops, its totally silent) and when promted it wakes up almost instantly (unless you own a new Black Gold card, but thats another thread!). I just thought i'd mention this as it appears to work on RC2. I had to go into the BISO and enable S3, and wake via USB though.

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    For XP MCE (and probably Vista) is important to get your power saving options correct in the BIOS before installing the O/S. I experienced this first hand, and know the pitfalls. S3 power state is 'suspend to ram'. The machine is shutdown (all fans etc), but trickle power is kept to the memory so it's state is kept. Resuming from S3 is quick, and the O/S can still initiate a restart for scheduled recordings etc.

S4 is 'suspend to disk' (or hibernate). The RAM state at suspend time is copied to a file on the disk, and the machine then goes into deep sleep. No power is kept to the RAM. Resuming from S4 is slower, but saves more energy. XP MCE had more problems resuming from S4, although I can't comment on Vista.

5. Frosty Predator

Frosty Predator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can now get Vista into a deep sleep (manually, by using MCE remote) and it will wake to record even with the Black Gold pcie twin tuner card fitted!! However, it won't go to sleep on its own or go back to sleep after a recording. It will turn off the screen after preset time though.
    I have S3 enabled in the bios. USB wake is enabled in device manager for keyboard and mouse.
    Please share your exact power plans settings so I can try and duplicate.

6. dsanders_sco

dsanders_sco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you made sure in advanced settings that Sleep -> Allow Hybrid Sleep -> Setting is set to off? That worked for me. Before changing this sleep always went to hibernate rather than S3 sleep. The problem for me is that my Hauppauge cards won't work after an S3 resume.

7. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Strange, Vista sleep works perfectly for me, on the same machine that crashes itself silly on XP doing the same.

8. Frosty Predator

Frosty Predator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have finally figured it all out.
    Set Vista not to share media during sleep time.
    Now goes to sleep, wakes, records and sleeps every time. :thumbsup:

9. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the same BIOS settings as I had working 100% in XP so its probably best to leave those I guess? (S3 power saving basically)

If I hit the standby button on the remote the systems goes down, but the power LED and fans still run. I cannot wake from this state (and when I do the tuner seems to vanish but thats a common problem with the dual PCI-E balck gold card?)

I can usually get the system to sleep if I quit the MCE app first. Im interested to know how people are managing to get their systems to sleep ok under Vista with a black gold card as I get this behaviour on two different machines, and was certain is was driver related.

Is the latest driver on the GDI website under "universal WHQ" or whatever? If so Im using those.

its really annoying as its costing me a fortune in electricity! I have to leave it on, or it cant record!

10. dalepearson

dalepearson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the same problem.
    In XP you could use the dumppo tool to false the required sleep state modes on the machine, but this tool is unable to set these in Vista so another tool needs to be found to enforce this sleep state.

I am still hunting and will update this post when I find something, if you guys could do the same it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dale

11. jem101

jem101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try downloading the latest (beta) version of the MCE Standby Tool

www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm

When run it does through up a warning about being run on Vista which has not been fully tested but the first tab which gives you the option of setting the sleep options does work properly. I used it to set S3 sleep under both MCE 2005 and Vista RTM. Remember to right-click and run it as an administrator to make the settings permanent.

On a related issue I have had MCE 2005 running just fine on an old Dell 2400 motherboard with a single Blackgold PCI DVB-T tuner and an nVidia GEForce FX 5200 graphics card. Last weekend I did a clean build of Vista Home Premium and it all looked very good. The Vista MCE worked just fine, recording and playback performed even better than 2005. But I had an issue where when the machine went to sleep either manually or on it's own it would crash.

It would appear to wake ok for the scheduled recording but the system was completely unresponsive, not even the caps-lock light would work. Naturally the programme didn't record and I had to forceably power it down and reboot.
    I spent a week trying to fix it with all versions of drivers for the tuner and graphics card without luck so yesterday I (reluctantly) did a clean re-build of 2005.

I tries all sorts of sleep settings, turning off hybrid sleep, media sharing etc. but nothing worked, the PC would 'crash' every single time it slept and was worken up. I suspect it's something to do with the Blackgold tuner card and following some research it seems I'm not alone with issues with this set up.

I'd like to go back to Vista if at all possible so if anyone had any other ideas of what I could try, I'd be very grateful.

John

12. chrismox

chrismox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have exactly the same problem - everything plays & records fine, system will enter S3 fine but if it wakes up to record something, the whole thing hangs, the reset button being the only solution.

At the moment, I'm having to leave the PC on the whole time to successfully record scheduled programmes.

I have emailed Blackgold support but so far heard nothing.

13. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I experience this on both of my machines which are both totally different in terms of hardware. I have to run the PC's 24/7 as they cannot standby without crashing. I have been back and forth between MCE 2005 and Vista but I am determined to stick with Vista this time.

Has anybody tried their Vista machine without a black gold card in? (i.e another type of tuner, or no tuner at all) just to prove that the standby issues are casued by the black gold card an not some other vista incompatibility?

I plan to rebuild next week hopefully so may try then, before the GDI drivers touch the system.

Gareth