Vista Premium x64 installation hangs on Shuttle SN68PTG6 Deluxe...

NinjaMonkeyUK

Hi everyone.

Well, I've got my HTPC built:

- Shuttle SN68PTG6 Deluxe.
- 2x 1GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2.
- LG GGW-H20L Blu Ray / HD DVD.
- Seagate 500GB Barracuda.
- Hauppauge Nova-T-500 DVB Tuner.

I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium x64 but it keeps freezing. Its getting really frustrating. I've scoured the Internet for all the information I can find but all I can find is people with the same problem but no solutions!

When I boot with the Vista DVD in the drive it starts the Vista installation process, loads some files (white meter on the bottom of the screen), shows the Windows logo, then moves to a colour screen showing the "vista" wallpaper & just stops there. It shows the mouse pointer which WILL move but the installation doesn't go anywhere after that. The only thing I can do is reboot the system.

I'm just trying to install XP SP2 on the same system & its working fine, so its got to be a Vista issue...

I can't understand it! I've tried removing one of the sticks of RAM & the DVB tuner card but neother helps. The install always stops at the same place.

I'm also confident its not bad RAM because I've tried memory tests on it & don't get any errors...

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

J7MAN

How long have you left it hanging? I had the same with my mums PC the other day. Rebooted several times before I got mad and just left it for a while, came back and it had moved to the next bit.

NinjaMonkeyUK

I left it for 30 minutes on one try, but this seems like a stupidly long time to wait for a menu to load...

tony_park

Hi,

that does sound like a long time, but as I've not installed x64, just 32bit version, that took some time!

Why are you installing the 64 bit version? At present, the driver support for 32 bit is way better than x64. Have you tried installing 32 bit version first?

Tony

NinjaMonkeyUK

There's nothing wrong with driver support for the 64-bit version if you buy things that are compatible! All the kit inside this HTPC is 64-bit compatible & I have all the drivers. Its nothing to do with drivers anyway as the install hung before it even started! :p

I'm installing the 64-bit version because it is the best for security & I don't believe in running a 32-bit OS on 64-bit architecture. What's the point? I only have the 64-bit version & I'll be sticking with it.

Anyway, I left the installer for about 45 minutes then it suddenly fired back into life & it seems to be going ok now...

NinjaMonkeyUK

And now its stuck at Expanding files (13%)... :mad:

NinjaMonkeyUK

OK this is ridiculous! Windows XP SP2 installs & works perfectly, but Vista 64 does not! ARGH! I'm downloading a copy of Vista 32 at the moment to see if that works, but why the HELL shouldn't Vista 64 work?! :mad:

Its a 64 bit compatible motherboard, processor, RAM, hard drive, Blu Ray drive, & TV tuner card, so why the hell won't it work?! :mad:

I ran the Vista compatibility test on the XP SP2 installation & it says this PC is ready for Windows Vista! :mad:

So god damn annoying! :mad:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
OK this is ridiculous! Windows XP SP2 installs & works perfectly, but Vista 64 does not! ARGH! I'm downloading a copy of Vista 32 at the moment to see if that works, but why the HELL shouldn't Vista 64 work?! :mad:

Its a 64 bit compatible motherboard, processor, RAM, hard drive, Blu Ray drive, & TV tuner card, so why the hell won't it work?! :mad:

I ran the Vista compatibility test on the XP SP2 installation & it says this PC is ready for Windows Vista! :mad:

So god damn annoying! :mad:

I'd try installing using a standard IDE DVD drive with your SATA Blueray drive disconnected. (beg or borrow one if you have to just for the install)

The times I've seen windows install issues because of fast optical drives is untrue.

NinjaMonkeyUK

I'd not thought of using an IDE optical drive. I have one in my server PC... I'll try that tomorrow night. I've literally spent 12 hours on it today & got nowhere. What a waste of time. This stuff should just WORK together!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I'd not thought of using an IDE optical drive. I have one in my server PC... I'll try that tomorrow night. I've literally spent 12 hours on it today & got nowhere. What a waste of time. This stuff should just WORK together!

Thanks for your suggestion.

also try disabling as much stuff in the bios as possible (legacy USB support/Smart HD reporting/and as many integrated devices as possible e.g. OB Sound/Wi-Fi etc..)

Windows has alsways preferred installling on as little as possible, once built install all the latest signed chipset drivers (form manafacturers website not supplied DVD) then re-install/enable devices and hardware.

tony_park

Hi,

don't forget during your re-installation, that if you plan to use the pc for Media Center and you want it go to sleep correctly, to set the sleep option to S3, to save problems later on :suicide:

Tony

NinjaMonkeyUK

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have figured out what the problem is - the Blu Ray drive. Or more specifically, ANY optical drive plugged into the SATA port on the Shuttle motherboard.

I'm not sur ehow I'm going to get around this. I might have to try a SATA to IDE converter so I can plug the Blu Ray drive into the IDE port, but the ones I've seen are quite bulky & there is literally a tiny amount of room for the IDE cable to plug into the IDE port on the Shuttle mainboard.

I can't believe in this day & age that SATA controllers, when combined with certain chipsets, don't work properly with optical drives! It won't even work with my standard LG SATA DVD-RW drive!

No wonder building PCs is such a nightmare. On paper, all of my components should work fine together, but in reality, the motherboard's built-in SATA controller works with HDDs but not with optical drives. How useless is that?!

I just hope I can find an IDE converter that'll fit. Anybody got any suggestions? And before anyone says it, I can't fit another SATA controller card into the system - there is 1 PCI slot & 1 PCI-E slot & the PCI is used up by the TV tuner card, with the PCI-E soon to be filled with an ATi HD2600 of some sort...

NinjaMonkeyUK

The SN68PTG6 Deluxe is based on the nVidia nForce 630a chipset (with built-in GeForce 7050PV graphics).

Thanks for the link but that won't work - I have no spare PCI slots at all. I'd have to just get a SATA to IDE converter cable. :(

tony_park

Hi,

I use an USB to IDE/SATA connector, works really well.

Tony

Uridium

Distinguished Member
why not just plug an IDE Optical drive in to build the PC (build it with the case off if necessary) then once built plug your Bluray SATA drive back in.

I had a similar problem this week when windows refused to install with a certain brand of memory installed in the Pc (even though it was the correct speed etc..)

I just installed with some different Ram then put the awkward stuff back in once built.

NinjaMonkeyUK

I can't find any USB to SATA convertors that would plug into the motherboard; I can only find ones that plug into a rear-mounted USB port which is not ideal.

Shuttle technical support seem to think its a chipset problem, as they've had a word with nVidia. They say I've to enable AHCI in the BIOS, but this gives me an error.

It turns out this error just means I'm no longer loading the correct SATA driver with Windows Vista & thats making it hang. I'm at work at the moment so I can't check but this may cure my problem.

Fingers crossed...

NinjaMonkeyUK

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I knew the drive wasn't faulty as it works perfectly in my gaming PC (geez, I've had my server, gaming PC & HTPC in bits to get this thing working!).

I sent an e-mail to Shuttle Support & they in turn contacted nVidia (Shuttle motherboard chipset makers). It turns out that there is a bug in the BIOS with regards to running the SATA in IDE mode in that, well, it doesn't work with optical drives!

Hopefully this will be fixed with a BIOS update.

Anyway, I switched SATA to AHCI in the BIOS, but when I tried to boot to Vista it just crashed out on me every time it tried to load, giving a BSOD that disappeared so quickly I couldn't read the error code.

So I did a bit of searching on Google for AHCI & what exactly it does & the problems it can cause & found a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on Vista not booting after SATA changed to AHCI mode.

It seems Vista needs to know which controller to boot from, so I had to change back to SATA IDE mode, change a setting in the registry so that Vista would load a SATA AHCI driver, then reboot.

All is working perfectly now. :)

Spider-Man Trilogy on Blu Ray look absolutely awesome in 720p on my Panasonic TH-37PX70!

Seems so simple now, but it was one hell of a headache when I couldn't figure out what was wrong!

P.S. Thanks everyone for your input in this thread. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom