Vista OEM 32bit Reinstall - Best Way?

eddiem74

Hi All,

I built my first HTPC a while back, and since have done a couple of OS reinstalls.

I just wanted to ask however, when I do a reinstall from the OEM disk which is pre-service pack 1, is the best approach then just to let Windows Update run, and install all updates, SP1, and now SP2, or should I look to do something different ? :confused:

I am also contemplating installing TV Pack with this upcoming fresh install.

Advice, opinions welcome !

Thanks. :smashin:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Personally, I would download the network installation of SP2 before hand. And then install it straight after install Vista w/SP1.

eddiem74

Personally, I would download the network installation of SP2 before hand. And then install it straight after install Vista w/SP1.

Ok, I am perhaps confused.

I have an OEM disk which does not have SP1, therefore to get SP1 installed I would normally install from disk, when complete, then install lots of windows updates until eventually SP1 was available & installed. I then would continue with windows updates until SP2 is installed.

So per your suggestion, I would install from disk, when complete, then install lots of windows updates until eventually SP1 was available & installed. Then install SP2 via download direct from MS site, prior to any further updates or? :confused:

Apologies if I misunderstood. :rolleyes:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I think Singh may have been assuming SP2 included SP1 which it doesn't.

I would also download the offline install of SP1 and SP2 beforehand, they'll be faster to install and you won't have to connect to the internet until you've got most of the security updates installed.

You could also play around with vLite/streamlining and make a single install disk with SP1 and SP2 included and anything you didn't want like the large language packs excluded.

Valley

I'm just completing a reinstall myself from a pre SP1 OEM disk, I've just let it download all the updates for SP1 and I'm about to start on SP2, hasn't taken long.

What I would say though is I was running the TV pack before but haven't bothered this time as it didn't offer me anything useful,consider whether you need it first.

eddiem74

I would also download the offline install of SP1 and SP2 beforehand, they'll be faster to install and you won't have to connect to the internet until you've got most of the security updates installed.

Ok, so then I can just:

- re-install vista from OEM disk, until complete
- install downloaded SP1
- install downloaded SP2
- install TV Pack (if I want)
- connect to internet for any further Windows Updates

Right ?

Valley

You may have to install the TV pack before SP2 but I can't say that with any certainty.

Just finished SP2 now myself and all went very quickly and smoothly, downloaded rom the link in this forum

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom