Vista Media Center Live TV Problems (Reception?)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by koj, Jan 15, 2008.

1. koj

koj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have recently bought a new LCD widescreen TV and I am in the process of building a HTPC running Vista to go under it. So far everything is going well, all the hardware is working and I'm loving the UI of of Vista Media Center.

However, I am unable to view live TV through Vista. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T 500 which works through the Hauppauge software, although the picture is not good.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers for the TV card but when I go to Live TV in Vista MC I get a signal still frame then the standard TV cannot be found message, whatever channel I am looking at.

We have noticed since upgrading our TV that the picture through our standard digibox or through the analogue signal.

Following other advice on here I put my postcode into here:
    http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&HT=10&OS=LE101HG

This shows we are between 2 transmitters and the site recommends "Amplified extra hi-gain". We had a new aerial fitted 3 years ago, and we paid more for better one - I am slightly annoyed that his doesn't seem to be up to the job.

All of this leads me to the conclusion that the strength of the signal is the problem.

Does anybody have any advice - do you agree it is the reception or could it be a driver issue?

Apologies for the long post, I wanted to get everything and AVForums has been a fantastic guide for me so hopefully this will be of use to somebody in the future in the same predicament. :)

David.

2. pjkent

pjkent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi David,

If you can see a picture using the Hauppauge WinTV software, but not Media Center, then I'm guessing it's a driver issue rather than signal.

Not sure if you've done this, but try to... Go to the Hauppauge webite and download the BDA drivers for your card, and install them in Vista. Then go into Media Center (Tasks > Setup > TV) and configure your TV Signal. It should detect your card, ask for a post code, scan for channels, etc. After this you should be able to see live TV.

As far as I know, the post code entry is for the TV guide (to make sure you get the right info for local BBC and ITV channels) and the list of available transmitters. If you're unsure which transmitter your aerial is pointing at, have a quick look at the direction it's pointing, then use Google Maps to see which one it's heading towards.

Maybe someone here with a Nova-T 500 could give you more info on the which drivers they have workings with Vista.

I use a Hauppauge Diversity USB stick - which is good for poor signal areas as it uses some kind of magic to use the two tuners to get a good picture in such areas.

3. koj

koj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I did try this last night, it finds all the channels correctly but when I try to view them it won't play ball.

Sorry forgot to say this, we are pointing towards Waltham (because I prefer East Mids News)

That would be good, it took me several tries to get it going and I'm now thinking it's this bit that isn't quite right.

:smashin:

David.

4. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. PeteT

PeteT

Products Owned: