Vista locking for 30 seconds or so every now and then

pomegran

Hi,

I have a well specced PC (4GB, E6750 etc) that I built a few weeks ago.

I am currently getting a problem where every now and then it locks up for about 30 seconds, I could be just at the desktop doing nothing major or even in Media Center ... I can't replicate it at will (as ever).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

RMF1

Hi,

I have a well specced PC (4GB, E6750 etc) that I built a few weeks ago.

I am currently getting a problem where every now and then it locks up for about 30 seconds, I could be just at the desktop doing nothing major or even in Media Center ... I can't replicate it at will (as ever).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

Specs would be nice.;)

Anyway, I had this problem when I installed nvidias storage drivers the first time after a new build. If I skip that part of the nforce driver installation it resolves the problem completely. Ofcourse it's problably something else entirely in your case.

What are your system specs and which apps do you have installed?

pomegran

Specs would be nice.;)

Anyway, I had this problem when I installed nvidias storage drivers the first time after a new build. If I skip that part of the nforce driver installation it resolves the problem completely. Ofcourse it's problably something else entirely in your case.

Hi,

Well, I have Vista (with SP1, but happened before), apps are:

Mozy (for backup)
Norton Ghost (which I only use for one off backups)
PowerDVD

Hardware:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA - Retail Box With Software
MSI 8600GT 256MB GDDR2 DVI HDMI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card inc Low Profile Bracket
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H GeForce 7100 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 Dual digital DVB-T PCI TV Tuner card

Apart from that, nothing else. I do have NVidia beta drivers for my 8600GT ... what are these storage drivers you talk about?

pomegran

Specs would be nice.;)

By the way, fixed this problem. It was the nForce drivers. To update them, I clicked on the device and got Vista to search and update the drivers for me. Since then, it hasn't happened once, so thanks for the head up! :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom