Vista Installation Problem

Timh

Distinguished Member
Hi, recently my son formatted his hardrive to put Vista Ultimate on it. However when he gets to "Completing Installation" it hangs. The animations still carrys on but there is no progress after hours of waiting. He has tried several times to install but each time it just hangs. We have searched the internet and tried everything that has been said such as removing a stick of ram, installing sata drivers, trying different DVD drives but nothing has worked. Heres his computer specs:

Mobo : Asus P5N-E Sli
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB (SATA II)
Graphics card: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3
RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Sli Edition
DVD Drive: Samsung IDE (Dont know the model number)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks

calypso69er

This may sound daft, but is the installation disc in good condition (clean and free from scratches). I've had this before when a program would just hang on installation. The disc looked OK, but I scanned it with one of the tools that came with Nero, and it showed that 0.1% of the disc was bad.
Might also be worth running a cleaning DVD through the drive, if you have one.
Good luck.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions.
Just checked the disc with Nero and its fine.
We actually tried 2 differant dvd Rom drives just incase that was the error.
We are fairly confident its something to do with the sata drivers :confused:

echrada

Banned
Why do you not format your sata drives and then do the install. A clean install is always best. If you can download a hard drive cleaner and use it first (that is if you don't have one). You get some pretty good ones that is free. It will also tell you if there are bad sectors.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Tried using the latest Sata drivers and it worked first time :D

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom