Vista HTPC and Sound question

cliff_wright

Novice Member
I'm trying to setup my Vista Media Centre (Vista Home premium) so that I can watch DVD's in 5.1 through an optical connection . . .

The DVD part is fine, but as I can't switch between a 5.1 setup for DVD's and a 2 channel setup to listen to TV through the TV speakers (without physically unplugging the optical connection and re-connecting the TV speakers Via Line out), I'm trying to just use the 5.1 setup for everything until I figure out something else.

Trouble is, when I try to watch TV whilst listening through the optical >> 5.1 Receiver, I end up with all the sound coming from the front right speaker for some reason . . :confused:

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 Mobo, utilising the onboard sound. My TV setup if Via a Sky decoder into a Hauppage 150 card connected via component (Yellow, Red, White jobbies) connection . . .

Can anyone tell me whether this is something to do with the way the Sky box is passing it's sound to the VMC or whether I'm missing something setup wise?

Cheers

Cliff

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
At some point you must have to convert the red and white (Sound) to a 3.5mm to phono adapter. Can we assume that the 3.5mm jack has 3 rings or two?
If 2 that is your problem.

cliff_wright

Novice Member
At some point you must have to convert the red and white (Sound) to a 3.5mm to phono adapter. Can we assume that the 3.5mm jack has 3 rings or two?
If 2 that is your problem.

So . . . I've got the sky box which has a scart >> component converter plugged into the TV Out scart socket . . . this is connected to a component cable (red / white / yellow) which at the other end connects to the component inputs on the TV Card . . again red / white / yellow . . . obviously the TV card is onboard and so feeds sound through into the mobo which is then connected outbound to the receiver via an optical cable . . . the receiver is then obviously wired to the 5.1 speakers . . .

Under this setup, Live TV plays back as sound all coming from the front right speaker . . . :confused:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Sorry I assumed you were connected to the sound card audio in.
To check the cable swop over the red and white plugs and if the sound now comes out of the left only you have a cable fault.

cliff_wright

Novice Member
Sorry I assumed you were connected to the sound card audio in.
To check the cable swop over the red and white plugs and if the sound now comes out of the left only you have a cable fault.

So I know the cable from the Sky box to the TV Card is fine and correctly connected . . . when I'm not using a 5.1 setup, I connect the Mobo sound out to the TV speakers and I get the correct 2 channel left / right sound.

It's purely when I'm connecting from the Mobo to the receiver via optical that the 'Live TV' sound turns into a single front right speaker only . . . (DVD works fine).

When I go into the VMC setup of speakers, each speaker in the 5.1 setup sounds appropriately . . .

Just in case it was something faulty with the optical link, I've tried connecting the Mobo to the Receiver via analogue connections and I still get the same symptoms
:confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom