Vista Build 5270 & 5308 with 256MB ram

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a problem when installing these two build when you only have this amount of ram.

when booting from DVD to install you will get memory errors
when installing from within an older version of Vista you get an error saying you have less than 256MB of ram, the system properties confirm this. for me it says "you have 244MB of ram, 256MB is needed"

the workaround i found is to install XP on a fresh hard disk, then install these builds from within XP (which reports your ram as 256MB)

this has only been tested on build 5308 and not on 5270 but i presume it will work the same.

more info can be found of connect ID:31353

hope this helps people who cant install or find info on connects very hard to navigate website.

i would of posted this on neowin but their site sucks(very unfriendly community and no mods with balls to speak of) and id probably be accused of having a pirated copy :p

tbh I think you'd struggle with XP on 256Mb RAM for most gaming, never mind Vista.

im not talking about gaming. but XP and Vista run fine on my machine :thumbsup: then again that may be because i have a sapphire 6000 256MB gfx card in it lol! also its by ATI and ATI cards are the only ones that are efficient with Vista :smashin:

it goes to show cause the most people that complain about "vista being slow" are people with anywhere from 1 -4gigs of ram, but they have an nvidia card. we all know nvidia are struggling with Vista thats why they pulled their drivers off their website the other day lol

Are there any chances of me running Vista on my laptop...

Intel Pentium M 1.6 ghz
512 mb ram
60 GB Hard Drive
ATI X300 128mb

Low features I'm guessing

Your laptop looks decent, remember the pentium m is roughly equivalent to about the doubled speed decent p4 i.e. 3.2 in your instance.
Your graphics card will man that you'll have to run the bottom run of the gui, but there will be plenty of third party mods that do it without hardware support i'm betting (probably already there if you look, thus no reason to upgrade :) ).

Vista for for high end no offence
Intel Pentium M 1.6 ghz
512 mb ram
60 GB Hard Drive
ATI X300 128mb

Isnt high end

Best of using XP Pro disable loads of the fancy features it will run even faster

Apart from the graphics card it looks fine , the p m chips is extremely fast more so than the a64 real clock for clock . For MS to make a OS only for the high end? They got a hard enough time getting any business to move over to XP from 2000, and then to tell business' they can only run the os if they buy new hardware :rolleyes:

I dont think its faster then a64 depends what socket your on about really i suppose but yes its for high end MS already said so they dont want bussiness people to switch over XP Pro support isnt being stopped only Home is also most bussinesses have contracts so they get PC upgrades every few years anyway

triplea4uk said:
I dont think its faster then a64 depends what socket your on about really i suppose
Clock for clock and watt for watt its faster than the a64, and the high end models can outperform the single core FXs, not sure where the dual core ones stand compaired to the X2 though. The p m chips is superior to the outgoing p4 and good riddens!

triplea4uk said:
... also most bussinesses have contracts so they get PC upgrades every few years anyway

Do they ;) Not the ones i've worked for but maybe they were just silly.

To say that MS is investing in a major new Operating System much larger and more complex than any before, and then deciding its not for its biggest customer base businesses and also ignoring the majority of people without nija high end PCs. Sorry but that doesn't make economic sense and last time i looked MS was the worlds largest software house, which happened to get and stay there through frequent upating of its OS which is still its biggest money maker.

Logitek said:
So i'd just have to turn down visual features..
Yea pretty much, they have said that there are 3 tiers or so.
1) with full dx 10 support and the prettiet requiring a decent and recent gfx card
2) partial new gui prettieness due to midrange gfx that support most the features
3) bog standard and probably what most people will revert to after they get annoyed with flash getting in the way.

One reason not to move to vista is the reported DRM lockdown making it difficult to run content that hasn't got DRM, if this is true then stay away at all costs and hope MS falls :smashin:

Vista Beta 2 (build 5308) is out now BTW.

Reportedly much more stable (I've found it to be so far) and has the finished Visual identity now. So what you see in this Beta will be pretty much what you get.

Logitek said:
So i'd just have to turn down visual features..

id just give it a try(backup first as you will no doubt lose everything if you dont), its not very slow on my pc and i have 256MB ram. however i do find it very buggy. cant install programs, lots of websites dont work, and driver installs dont finish.

also remember you have to be a beta\msdn\tap member to use the beta

gazbarber said:
Apart from the graphics card it looks fine , the p m chips is extremely fast more so than the a64 real clock for clock ...

Back in my days of assembler programming (and we are going back 10 years!) you could not compare clock speeds across diferent manufacturers, sometimes even the same manufacturer diferent models was impossible as well. Clock speeds were vastly misleading and by no way a reference apart from the same manufacturer, same range.

Are we now saying that we can?

I would hope not. Anyway, clock speeds are not always the most important thing. Bottlenecks, memory bandwidth, floating point requirements and bus speeds are all major contributors depending on what you want to do with the system.

colinwheeler said:
I would hope not. Anyway, clock speeds are not always the most important thing. Bottlenecks, memory bandwidth, floating point requirements and bus speeds are all major contributors depending on what you want to do with the system.

Ahh ok, i thought so! Things aint changed one bit then :)

So that must mean I am misunderstanding Gazbarbar then as the way it reads, to me, its wrong :)

Vista is just another fancier version of xp really that needs more power to run dure to transparent stuff like that not worth getting it and about a64 being neck on neck dont know what you have used but fx cards kill that persons laptop processor you much of been looking at low ones like 3200 sort of thing

triplea4uk said:
Vista is just another fancier version of xp really that needs more power to run dure to transparent stuff like that not worth getting it and about a64 being neck on neck dont know what you have used but fx cards kill that persons laptop processor you much of been looking at low ones like 3200 sort of thing

Ummm, not really. Check out the operating system from a technical point of view and try and understand where they are going with it. Them come back and make some valid technical arguments against.

actually the desktop visual styles shouldnt affect performance as it should now all be done by your 3d accelerator.

im more interested in vista from a security/connectivity view anyway

triplea4uk said:
I do know beta tester for it not impressed

And that beta tester told you that the OS was nothing more than some new graphical stuff, or is this something you just made up? I am not a beta tester myself (don't have the time to bother) but am closely linked with keeping an eye on this sort of new technology and have been involved with Longhorn to Vista through the whole path. The OS obviously has a lot of problems at the moment with the new technologies that they are using (hence the designation BETA), but new display technology only, I think not. Why don't you wait for the full version and try a trail before you make statements like this?:smashin:

If you are in doubt about my qualifications to make this statement, just let me know and I can drop you a copy of my CV.

triplea4uk said:
I do know beta tester for it not impressed

Have to say mate, thats not really much of an argument!

Many, many people on these boards are beta testers, its not hard or expensive to become one.

I believe these days you can get on to it for as little as a TechNet subscription :thumbsup:

JagoPlasma said:
im more interested in vista from a security/connectivity view anyway

Jago, as I understand, performance is up quite a bit as well as reliability in these fields. There are some security concerns at the moment about the core of the system that may have some vulnerablilities but then it seems that whenever one gets located, they demonstrate that it is not actually a hole. I believe that the process of really checking out the security of the OS is going to take a while due to so much of the internal working having been redone. I hope that MS will have done a decent job of this as they publicly stated a number of times that this was thier top priority for this release.

gazbarber said:
Your graphics card will man that you'll have to run the bottom run of the gui, but there will be plenty of third party mods that do it without hardware support i'm betting (probably already there if you look, thus no reason to upgrade :) ).

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ (includes both Nvidia and ATI mods/discussion).

HTH,
Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom