• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vista Boot Problem

Hello,

I've had a look around and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. Any help would be very much appreciated.

When installing Vista, my system is fine until the final part when Vista checks your preformance. It restarts, before the green bar reaches the end (approx 75% of the way there) and then will not boot back into Vista. I can get ot bck by pressing F8 and choosing either "Start Windows Normally" or "Last Known Good Configuration". However, whenever I reboot (after updates for example), the same things happen.

Any ideas?

My system is as follows:
1 X Elonex Artisan LX DELUXE Barebone (250W PSU)
1 X 1GB DDR-400 PC-3200
1 X P4 3.4GHZ
1 X XFX 7300GS 256MB (512MB TurboCache)
1 X Asus My Cinema DVB-T card
1 X Seagate 320 GB SATA II

My original memory was knackered, so I replaced it and have re-installed Vista since, with the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cable Monkey

It is checking performance, that means loading the processor and graphics card. I would say it is conceivable the PSU is not up to the job. Which CPU do you have, Prescot, Northwood or Galatin?

Sounds like the boot process is fubared. Boot from Vista DVD and select repair my computer.

I've tried this, but to no avail. I forgot to mention that when I take the HDD out and put it in my other machine (Athlon 64 3000) then it works fine.

The CPU is here

Thanks for the quick replies so far.

Cable Monkey

It is a prescot. My suspicion is it is crapping out when it is drawing lots of current from the PSU. Do you have another you can plug in?

It is a prescot. My suspicion is it is crapping out when it is drawing lots of current from the PSU. Do you have another you can plug in?

Thanks for the help.

Are all 600 series likely to do this? The problem with the Mobo is that it will only work with the 650, 640 or any of the other 90nm chips, not the 65 nm chips. So, choice is a bit limited.

Instead of the 3.4 GHZ chip, would a 3.2 be less likely to do this?

d.chatten

Standard Member
I would bet that it's the 250W power supply you are using, with the hardware you have i would be using something like a 400W>500W power supply, also the system you have is more than capable of running Vista, one thing i would try before replacing anything would be to remove your TV card from the PCI slot and see if it boots up ok.

One other thing, i don't think turbo cache plays nicely with Vista at the moment.

I would bet that it's the 250W power supply you are using, with the hardware you have i would be using something like a 400W>500W power supply, also the system you have is more than capable of running Vista, one thing i would try before replacing anything would be to remove your TV card from the PCI slot and see if it boots up ok.

One other thing, i don't think turbo cache plays nicely with Vista at the moment.

Is there any way of removing the turbo cache?

Also, many other people with the same setup as me have got vista working, even with the TV cards (sometime X2). Could it be that the PSU is a bit dodgy? The PC is fine for MCE, but not vista.

tennant

Are you installing with your PC connected to a TV or a PC display? If it's a TV, you might find a problem when the install process gets to the optimisation stage because the TV doesn't inform Vista what it's capabilities are. I had exactly the same problem installing when connected to my Pioneer plasma TV. Connected instead to an LCD monitor, completed the Vista install using that with no problems then set the resolution to be the correct one for the Pioneer and connected it to the TV.

Tennant

treacle

My system is as follows:
1 X Elonex Artisan LX DELUXE Barebone (250W PSU)
1 X 1GB DDR-400 PC-3200
1 X P4 3.4GHZ
1 X XFX 7300GS 256MB (512MB TurboCache)
1 X Asus My Cinema DVB-T card
1 X Seagate 320 GB SATA II

My original memory was knackered, so I replaced it and have re-installed Vista since, with the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This could be your problem, go up to 7600gs, and install uprated driver.I had problems with the 7300.

This could be your problem, go up to 7600gs, and install uprated driver.I had problems with the 7300.

Was that in an Artisan case? AFAIK, there is no low-profile 7600GS available yet. Unless I am mistaken.

@ tennant - It has been installed on a TV, but it will sometimes go into vista with no issues at all, while at other times, it just point-blank refuses.

@wormvortex1337 - I know that it is a very low rated PSU, but its deisgned for the media case, unfortunately.

@d.chatten - tried that and at first, it did seem to do the trick. I also took the fan connector off the graphics card too. However, after a fresh install of Vista, I got the same issue, allbeit not as often.

I've actually boxed everything up now, ready for the case to go back to Ebuyer as it has confirmed for me that something is not quite right with the whole case/mobo/psu as they all come together as a bundle. Also, other people have this same case up and running with vista with no issues.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help - you've confirmed things I suspected and given me new ways to test the PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom