Vista benefits

HiZ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've googled about a bit looking for a list of useful benefits - everyone bleats on about 'aero' and 'widgets' but surely there's more!?

It's a whole new OS. It's not just a facelift. This is both good and bad news.

The bad first: you'll need new drivers for all your hardware, so you're at the mercy of hardware manufactures to write then. Also, a lot of your software will need to be updated or patched. The GUI is different enough to make life tricky for a few days, but then you're over it.

The good news: Security. It's a lot better, especially if you bear with the User Account Control (UAC) and don't just turn it off like some people :suicide:
Aero is pretty, but you don't really notice it after a while. The new Media Center is nice, but doesn't offer much new functionality. The DirectX 10 games are going to be spectacular, but will require serious (and probably new) graphics hardware.

For business users there's a lot more new features which are useful.

In summary: There is no compelling reason to upgrade. If you are buying a new PC then Vista is a no-brainer. In any case you need to be prepared for the changes and live with the short-term pain it brings.

I've been using Vista full-time since October, and I'd never go back now.

Dell have given in to consumer pressure and are now offering XP as an alternative to Vista on some of their range. As far as business is concerned, I would doubt if the the uptake of Vista is above 2%.

I actually have vista home premium. I bought a new Acer desktop for a good price and had the option to upgrade to vista for a few quid. I had no issues with the upgrade, drivers and so on. Its a new jazzy front end and some extra bits but nothing that looked like it took 5 years to develop! I see new stuff like UAC - seems annoying with popup warnings for everything your trying to do - needs tweaking for my setup I think.

Also tried the media centre bit but as you say, its not a lot different. If it supported subtitling, MHEG etc then it would be interesting...

No problems with drivers or software here. Internet security packages can be a bit hit and miss, early versions of my Norton gave me a few problems but 'touch wood' not an issue now. The new interface is nice, Aero and gadgets etc. But you can achieve the equivalent of gadgets with free plug-ins for XP.
A lot of what makes Vista good supposedly is 'what's under the hood' ... it's a lot more stable and far less vulnerable to security exploits.
I have Vista Home Premium which came with a new desktop and whilst it's nice I am not considering upgrading my Windows XP laptop at the moment.

Dell have given in to consumer pressure and are now offering XP as an alternative to Vista on some of their range. As far as business is concerned, I would doubt if the the uptake of Vista is above 2%.

Dell were foolish to try to force people into Vista, there will always be those that will stick with XP.

Customers NEED choices.

Business evalution is gathering pace.They never jump in at first issue.

It tends to be a case of discovery, the more you use it the more you'll discover, for instance the Search engine is fantastic, even when it shows the search path in the search bar, every word and spacer arrow is active/clickable to move through the search path.

It makes XP's look pathetic, the configuration and changes you can make,to display and setup is a learning curve,

You'll still find a few of the better bits of XP retained.

BE NOSY POKE AROUND.:thumbsup:

I see new stuff like UAC - seems annoying with popup warnings for everything your trying to do - needs tweaking for my setup I think.

then disable it, I did within the first week. I don't need M$ asking me 2times if I want to save a file that i've dragged myself to the desktop, to the desktop. If your a pc noob then UAC is great, stops you ****ing stuff up. If however you've actually used a pc before and understand them its plain annoying

then disable it, I did within the first week. I don't need M$ asking me 2times if I want to save a file that i've dragged myself to the desktop, to the desktop. If your a pc noob then UAC is great, stops you ****ing stuff up. If however you've actually used a pc before and understand them its plain annoying

The concept going forward is that software shouldn't need to ask for admin rights to do anything, UAC is a way of highlighting badly written software and make the culprits rewrite their packages in a more secure way.

Personally I've turned off UAC too, but I still think its a good thing because gradually most of the software we use will be better written and more secure.

OK, turn UAC off. Also stop wearing a seatbelt and never use a condom.

UAC is there for a good reason. You'll wish you got used to it.

I'd rather have a proper firewall over UAC any day, UAC trys to stop things getting in which is fine, but I'd far rather guard the gate out.

I'd rather have a proper firewall over UAC any day, UAC trys to stop things getting in which is fine, but I'd far rather guard the gate out.

A firewall won't help if something malicious has disabled it, UAC is there to stop software affecting the integrity of the system.
But, as was pointed out above, the UAC is like giving someone a bucket to workaround the leak in their new boat.

Rely on Windows for security? I'll pass.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom