Vista 32 or 64

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Richchad, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Richchad

Richchad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am sure this question will have been asked many times before but time rolls on is 64 bit support any better?

If I am buying a new system should I go the Vista 32 bit or 64 bit route?

I have found some of my stuff won't have 64 drivers like my scanner but will run on 32 bit.

What advantages are there going to 64 bit if any? :confused:

2. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I firmly believe a Vista system should be 64 bit as it offers minimal dicernable disadvantages but potentially offers very large advantages.

Near anything that definately works properly on Vista 32 works on Vista 64. I have not had a new piece of software or hardware that has had any compatabilty issues with my Vista 64 system. It is also important to note that the performance of 32 bit software shows no difference running on 64 bit systems.

Conversely any app that has a dedicated 64 bit version will only work in a 64 bit OS. These 64 bit versions will run significantly better than the 32 bit versions. This is clear by the early adoption of 64 bit for performace environments such as Servers and Graphics Worksations. More and more software is coming with a 64 bit optimised version and this trend is set to continue. You also get better future proofing as you can install more than 4 gig total system memory. This limitation affects all 32 bit systems and the 4 gig limit includes graphics ram so generally stops the full utilisation of 4 x 1 gig sticks.

3. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    As a final point I think the release of a 32 bit version of Vista was one of the worst moves ever made by MS. They have slowed the move to 64 bit as a direct result of it, hence slowed the advancement of software in general.

Any Vista system is more than likely to be 64 bit and as such will run Vista 64. If every new system sold was using a 64 bit OS it would be a major encouragement to software houses to produce more 64 bit software.

4. Waplord

Waplord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    while i agree with many of the points of the above poster, i would also point out that if you itend to be using it as a media centre pc, then i would definately go for 32bit since FFDShow ac3 filter etc while they will run on a vista 64bit machine when running the 32 bit versions of media player etc, will not actually load in 64 bit media centre which is the only version availible in 64 bit Vista.

I know you can get a 64 bit build of FFD show but its dreadfully out of date and there appear to be no up to date compiles of it for 64 bit, and without it your choice of codecs for your media files is very limited.

5. Richchad

Richchad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay so it seems I should be going to 64 bit....

If I do my scanner won't work plus some other stuff, how about running 2 computers keeping my old system for backup and scanning etc with no connection to the internet, I believe I can link my monitor, keyboard etc to both systems with a Belkin switch2.

What is the best way to link the two PCs to transfer data but also restricting the old PC from any access to the web for security?

6. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    A dual boot system is the best way to get a full combination of legacy and modern. This is easily acomplished with the following steps (works with OEM software):

1. Start the install of XP 32 Bit.
    2. When it comes to the drive selection just format part of your HDD (a least 10 gig) to put XP in.
    3. Install XP 32 bit on this first partition.
    4. Start the Vista install.
    5. Choose the unallocated space as the drive to install on.
    6. Install Vista 64 bit on this second partition.

The system will then come up with a menu on boot asking if you want to boot Vista or an older version of Windows (defaulting to Vista). You can even do this with an exisiting system if you use a disk partition tool.

7. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a dual boot Vista. One with 32-bit Home Premium and one with 64-bit Ultimate.

I have installed identical 32-bit and 64-bit software and drivers on both respectivly (unless the 64-bit version doesn't exist). So the software is identical on both.

For each software upgrade, I've made a disk image so I've got a safe rollback point.

What I can say for certain at the moment, is that 32-bit is far more stable. The software works more hamoniously and is better supported.

64-bit seems to crash more often ('Windows is searching for a solution to the problem') and still under supported. Unless you need 4Gb+ of memory, I would stick to 32-bit.

There's no doubt that we'll all have to upgrade to 64-bit. I'm only doing mine now as I have a sprog due in 6 months and won't have the time to do this.

8. treacle

treacle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    64 bit will be a viable proposition in about 2 years time, at present its a dicey propostion.

As Darknight says its under supported, stick to 32 bit its far more stable and has plenty of support.

9. treacle

treacle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

10. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You clearly did not try Vista on or before release and from the sounds of it you definately have not tried the 64 bit version. In pre-release versions and for the first few months after release there was very little support in BOTH Vistas for the vast majority of hardware as well as limited software support.

No version of Vista was introduced with full support. The level of support on both Vista's now comes from the hard work of manufacturers and developers adjusting their software and drivers to suit Vista. You are living in a dream world if you think 32 bit Vista is compatible with everything that worked on 32 bit XP, hence why many people are currently running dual boot systems.

If they had released one SKU they would have vastly reduced the work involved in getting everything to work with Vista. They also would have encouraged the takeup of 64 bit for home users. Considering home users have been buying mainly 64 bit processors for around 3 years this is long over due.

With regards stabilty and support I have found nothing to complain about with Vista 32 or 64, no problems with either. In my main system I was running XP Media Centre 2005 with Vista 32 bit RC1. A little after release of Vista though I moved to Vista Ultimate 64 bit. My hardware was fully supported and I wanted to buy a better version of Vista that would last my next upgrade. Vista 64 is fully supported with the vast majority of components in new systems. It is also fully compatible with the vast majority of new software. This is the same as the situation with Vista 32 bit, they both have support issues with many older items. If you want full compatabilty with software and hardware that is 1-5 years old then you need a 32 bit version of XP.