• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Visiting Stonehenge

shopper150

Is it worth turning up to visit Stonehenge today without tickets?
Is there anything to see from the 'outside' as we can't get tickets for today as they've sold out.

Sonic67

Banned
That's about what you can see.

s1.jpg

Presumably with more people stood in front of it.

hippy240980

Obama just turned up and he got a good look around so i don't see why you should not get the same. :)
You could stop by the road and have a good gawk at the stones then head onto the Avebury stone circle which is free :)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
You have to get tickets :eek: And they've sold out... :confused:

Glad I found this out before making any kind of special trip! Only seen it once when driving past and said to the wife... "Oh look, there's Stone Henge"

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We went last year - it's changed a lot since we last went a decade ago. The visitor's centre is now a 5-10 minute bus ride away from the stones - you can't see them from it. You would need to do some guerilla parking to view it, or walk in from a long way out. We took the bus to the stones then walked back - the kids were fascinated with all the burial mounds in the area as much as the stones themselves :) This was just after the Obama visit.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Changed a lot since my (ex) and I last went in 1973 -

View attachment 660887

You could just wander round at will in those days :)
Didn't realise they were that big! Bet she was impressed ;)

I'm surprised with the comments saying it has changed a lot in just a few years.... I thought it had been around for thousands of years :devil:

D

Deleted member 498601

You have to get tickets :eek: And they've sold out... :confused:

Glad I found this out before making any kind of special trip! Only seen it once when driving past and said to the wife... "Oh look, there's Stone Henge"

driven past it a few times, certainly wouldn't pay to look

As someone that lives fairly local, I've also driven past a number of times, and felt pretty underwhelmed tbh. But, this summer, I took my 9yo daughter, and we went and visited it properly. It was really quite good. Don't get me wrong, it definitely falls into the category of 'If you're in the area' or 'I'm a mega-fan of huge rocks, I really can't get enough'.

I wouldn't recommend driving any really long distances specifically just to see them (certainly no more than 2 hours), but Salisbury cathedral is also good if you're into the walking around, looking at really old buildings and stuff kind of thing ;)

I was happy with my trip, and it kept my daughter entertained for a few hours.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Yea but the prices!
£14.50 for an Adult, £8.70 for a kid. To look at rocks! If they had a side attraction or some kind of amazing information centre i'd understand, but for that price i'd rather take the kids to the Zoo or buy them a Rock!

EDIT: Apparently you can't even go near the stones unless its outside public hours with "special access"

krish

Distinguished Member
The history interests me, it's just ... there it is ... mmm ... okay.

Similarly driven past the Magna Carta Memorial in Runnymede a few times (a 20th century erection and not actually there when the Magna Carta was sealed, which a few of my friends believed :confused:)

SBT

Banned
When I went you could walk among the stones. Not the same looking from a distance away behind a fence. You could go on the solstice but that would mean mixing with a bunch of weirdos and druggies. I'd rather be behind a fence.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
When I went you could walk among the stones. Not the same looking from a distance away behind a fence. You could go on the solstice but that would mean mixing with a bunch of weirdos and druggies. I'd rather be behind a fence.
When you went they wasn't even finished :eek: :rotfl:

:p

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
They hired me to work on it. They had heard how good I was when I was a hod carrier on the pyramids.
I thought Stonehenge was older?

IronGiant

He's also on the wrong end of a ongoing Christmas drinking session :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom