Visit to Cinema

Stevieboy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before but I feel I need to vent my spleen a bit.

Haven't been to the cinema for a while but last night myself, wife and son went to the local Odeon (Mansfield) to see the new Bourne film. Checked the ticket prices before we set off and it was advertised at £9.50 per adult ticket.

However, when I paid the ticket price was £10.50 each so I asked the girl why the ticket price was more than advertised. She couldn't answer so called over a manger who then checked on an IPad at the price advertised online. He then scolled to the bottom of the page and there was a small box saying there may be an additional charge for a Premium film!!

Apparantly, they can now charge you extra for seeing a new release if they deem it to be a premium film.

Now I know it's only £1 each but what a scam! Do they not think £9.50 each is enough?

I tend to avoid the big chains these days. They cost a fortune and often attract the kind of people I'd rather avoid. There are some great smaller chains and independent cinemas about, the Electric in Portobello is expensive but a real treat. A more local one to me called the Lexi is tiny but beautiful. The used to come and introduce each film which was a nice touch. Get a nice wine on a proper glass and profits go to charitable projects.

£2.50 weekdays £3.50 weekends at my local flea pit.
I go to the late showing during the week and it's practically empty :smashin:
Wouldn't go to a big chain though, too many noisy gits, plus as you mention the ridiculous prices.

Can't stand cinemas.

Films that should be watched on a big screen AND are worth watching are very few and far between these days. Then you have the other patrons with their rustling, their phone lights, the endless jibba jabba. Then you have that god awful smell, a fusion of sweaty feet, nerd funk, and stale popcorn. For this "experience", you're then expected to pay £10+? Nope.

Can't stand cinemas.

Films that should be watched on a big screen AND are worth watching are very few and far between these days. Then you have the other patrons with their rustling, their phone lights, the endless jibba jabba. Then you have that god awful smell, a fusion of sweaty feet, nerd funk, and stale popcorn. For this "experience", you're then expected to pay £10+? Nope.
Don't forget the multiplex advanced sound system, where every piece of dialogue is enhanced by someone loudly rustling the packet of Wine Gums.

Another gripe of going to the cinema is reserving your seats online, specifically with Showcase, not sure about other cinema chains. There is a booking fee for booking online! Its more expensive to book online than buy on the day, which seems backwards to me.

Odeon has been doing this since 2014- their 'Blockbuster tax'
Odeon charges extra pound to see top films

They charge even more for certain blockbusters. For Captain America Civil War, they charged an extra £1.50 per ticket.

I didn't realise that it had been in place for such a long time (we don't go that often and usually we go to the cinema de lux in Derby (I assume they don't have a similar charge).

I think the whole thing is a con (the comments from Odeon in link you provided are laughable) and the fact that it is not that visible either online (included in some very small text right at the bottom) or in the cinema itself (even the staff weren't that sure about it) makes it more so.

I would normally wait for the Blu-ray to come out but just fancied a visit for a change, don't think I will bother with Odeon again!

To be fair to the other cinemagoers (about 40 of them) they were all on best behaviour, even the youngsters :)

We tend to go to the cinema to watch all the kids films. Mainly because my company has health insurance through Vitality and they let you have free cinema tickets for Cineworld and Vue if you do some exercise. Can't argue with free tickets now ;)

Last time I went to see a film. The woman in front of me puked all over the back of the guy infront of her. The most gross thing I have ever seen and the reason I avoid cinemas like the plague. Proper scarred for life.

And yet some people think that Sean Parkers 'Screening Room' idea is a bad one. Went to see the new Bourne and the guy (early 20's there with his mum!) sitting in the same aisle as me had a bag from Tesco with 4 bags of hula hoops, 2 bags of sweets, and fuzzy juice, which they sat and munched through over the first hour, rustling constantly. Drove me mad, and I left thinking I should have just went to HMV and bought a Blu Ray of anything instead.

And yet some people think that Sean Parkers 'Screening Room' idea is a bad one. Went to see the new Bourne and the guy (early 20's there with his mum!) sitting in the same aisle as me had a bag from Tesco with 4 bags of hula hoops, 2 bags of sweets, and fuzzy juice, which they sat and munched through over the first hour, rustling constantly. Drove me mad, and I left thinking I should have just went to HMV and bought a Blu Ray of anything instead.
The strangest part for me is why a bloke in his 20s went with his mum :laugh:

Xar is assuming it's his mum...perhaps she was actually his wife :p

Unless she said 'come here dear, listen to mommy, time to change your nappy and have a feed' and he went 'No mum! let me finish me sweets and fizzy pop then i'll have bitty'

Erm, if that scenario ensued then maybe there is a chance they were doing some effed up role play!! I scare myself sometime with what I type.....

Wouldn't go to a big chain though, too many noisy gits, plus as you mention the ridiculous prices.

Last time I went to see a film. The woman in front of me puked all over the back of the guy infront of her. The most gross thing I have ever seen and the reason I avoid cinemas like the plague. Proper scarred for life.

Its a damning indictment on the Uks social etiquette in regard to people eating in public when at the cinema. Many people have not worked out its rather rude to eat with your mouth open and talk while food is filling your mouth, shocking and disgusting for anyone to experience. No wonder P2P took off.

Its a damning indictment on the Uks social etiquette in regard to people eating in public when at the cinema. Many people have not worked out its rather rude to eat with your mouth open and talk while food is filling your mouth, shocking and disgusting for anyone to experience. No wonder P2P took off.
You've just reminded me of that KFC advert from a few years ago:facepalm::laugh:

The strangest part for me is why a bloke in his 20s went with his mum :laugh:
Agreed! That's why I mentioned it. And it could have been his missus right enough... :eek:

A Sarcastic funny :)

Its beyond these days, ritualistic choking on popcorn chaff, food being delivered all the way through, slurping of Ice cubes. The rustling around to fill faces only to show people the contents of what is in the mouth, truly awful experience.

Then there are 'incidents' - went to see MI:2 many years ago - someone had a heart attack half way through which was a bit scary - film was stopped while the emergency services came in. Well I say stopped, it was turned off but presumably kept running as when we resumed it was not from where we left off :-S Funnily enough there was a big 'surprise/twist' while it was off - it was pretty obvious but anyone who hadn't guessed would have been confused after.

We were evacuated from Slumdog Millionaire due to a false fire alarm.

LA: Confidential the projectionist fell asleep or left so at the reel-change the audio continued but the screen was blank until someone in the auditorium went to find a staff member :)

Yep - home cinema for me :)

that is a joke, boycott them! companies are just sticking more and more charges on, chipping away taking eveyone for a ride
ticketmaster are one of the works with 'admin fees'
i also bought a festival ticket recently, there were four payment options, credit card / paypal / debit card etc
you had to PAY to PAY!? i know they love to stick on a charge if you pay by credit card, but they even wanted 40p to pay by debit card. this was a first for me, just taking the pee now

Some of the fees are crazy - you can get:

Showing/Concert price
Booking fee
Payment fee
Postage fee (even if not posted)
and then...
Convenience fee

No. Thanks.

There's a online booking fee of 30p at my local cinema.
£2.50 + 30p :eek: they must think I'm made of money :laugh:

I almost never go. They would make more out of me if they charged a third of the price.

They haven't worked out that you can only charge so much or people will not go. Fewer people mean higher still prices. At some point, it won't be viable.

Don't even get me started with the price of popcorn (cheapest £5.50).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom