1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vision vs Extron DVS204

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Syberyan, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking for an appriopriate scaler for use with my panny PHD5. It needs to have a configurable vertical refresh rate.
    Currently looking into the Vision from lumagen and the Extron DVS204.
    From what I've read the Vision is great, but never found anything about the extron.

Would either one give me an advantage over the other?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Where are you in the country?

Vision is completely IR controlled for aspect ratio control, refresh reate etc. It has independant memories that store picture adjustments for each incoming signal type on each input. This is great where you have a DVD player that does R1 and R2 or Sky and VCR that require different settings.

Please feel free to email me for furthe rinformation or to arrange a demo at your nearest dealer

Gordon

3. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's gonna be a bit difficult, I live in Belgium :)
    If I go for the Vision, I'll have to order it from the US because I can't find a dealer selling the Vision here. Unless you know of someone?

The extron also has an (optional) remote, but don't know about the memory stuff.

From what I have seen the extron outputs some standard resolutions (like 1024*768@75Hz) which would match nicely with my plasma's native resolution, and also HD formats like 480p, 720p and 1080p.
    The vision outputs only HD formats from 480p to 1080p.
    I'm a bit of a newbie so don't know which is better.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Vision IS VARIABLE rate upscaler.
    It will do 480P, 481P,482P, 483P.....719P, 720P, 721P,.....767P, 768P,769P,......1024P, 1025P, 1079P 1080P.

It will do this from 48Hz up to 75Hz.

I've not tried higher than 60Hz on D5 so can't comment on how the product interprets it. There are european dealers who you can buy fromwho will be able to give you the back up and servce you will undoubtedly need when installing such a device

Gordon

5. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I conclude that I'll run into trouble if installing it myself? Looking at the manual, it seems quite straightforward. Or could I damage my plasma by selecting wrong output rates?

Where to look if I want to find a dealer in my country? I've done various searches on the net, but no luck so far.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    You are unlikely to damage your device. If you feel it is straightforward after reading manual then you may be OK. It's more that scalers and de-interlacers are NOT plug and play. In order to get most from them they need to be configured correctly and in many cases the display itself nees to be re-configured to work with them.

I am not going to go in to all the details here as that's what the dealers job is. It's not hard to do these things it's just you need to know what to do and in what order.

I am unaware if there is a dsitributor in that country. You could email the guys at Lumagen or I can put you intouch with UK dealers who have the necessary knowledge to help out

Gordon

7. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mailed the guys at Lumagen about it, but just got a reply about shipping rates :)

Well if you could help me find a dealer here, I'd appreciate ;-)

thx
    Chris

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Both

Gordon just a small point - Syberyan has a PHD5 not the PWD5/6 that you/we have used the Vision with so far; he's got the 1024x768 array. Just in case you start swapping settings!

I know I've not used the Vision with the PHD5 as yet - though I guess the 1024x768 is going to be pretty identical to your own display!

Best regards

Joe

10. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, sent you a PM

Chris