Vision TC2-HDMIP HDMI over Powerline Review

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
Hi @Greg Hook , as with ethernet powerline adaptors, do you think this would work if there were two separate "receivers" from the one transmitter?

The Eggman72

And with only 2ch stereo sound im out....

Nostromo71

I was quite intrigued by this product, and then lost all interest when I read its sound capabilities are 2ch stereo only.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi @Greg Hook , as with ethernet powerline adaptors, do you think this would work if there were two separate "receivers" from the one transmitter?
I'm not sure on that. They don't appear to sell the receivers separately, so perhaps given it is HDMI rather than Ethernet it needs one receiver to transmitter. I'll ask the manufacturers and let you know.

toynlet

Novice Member
So would it be possible to mirror a Sky HD box with this in 2 different rooms with this piece of kit?

stblob

Hi, can you review this? EDISION HDMI MODULATOR (single DVB-T) Full HD Distribution over Coax. A much cheaper option and all TV's in the property will receive this. Wouldn't this be a better option? I can imagine having issues with HDMI and Ethernet over power line and whatever else running all together. Maybe I'm just talking out if my backside.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
So would it be possible to mirror a Sky HD box with this in 2 different rooms with this piece of kit?
Yes. As the transmitter has an HDMI out loop through connection, I was able to set it up so I had Sky showing on a TV in a different room. Obviously you can only watch the same Sky channel. But thanks to the remote signal feature you can change the channel from the second room.

This applies to anything really. You can have a Blu-ray playing on two TVs at once etc.

Toon Army

Interesting product and review. Would have liked the test to have included more testing on Sky HD and Youview. Can't speak for others, but these would be the primary sources I would seek to pipe around the house. Would also like a comparison with other systems that transmit the signal via cat5/6 through powerline adapters. Also need a good splitter for the original signal unless that is done by the transmitter unit.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Interesting product and review. Would have liked the test to have included more testing on Sky HD and Youview. Can't speak for others, but these would be the primary sources I would seek to pipe around the house. Would also like a comparison with other systems that transmit the signal via cat5/6 through powerline adapters. Also need a good splitter for the original signal unless that is done by the transmitter unit.
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I can only test with the equipment I have. I don't have YouView so can't test that. As I commented above, SkyHD works very well, whilst keeping in mind the 2 channel audio restriction.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Impossible for this to be lossless or in any way " identical " to the original signal.
A HDMI signal is up to 18gbps, you have to absolutely butcher it to get it over home mains wiring.

HdbaseT sets are now available for 99 pounds. I cannot see the point of this product when a lossless unlimited alternative exists for half the price.

Interesting comment about being aimed at installers, I cant see any installer giving this a second glance

Toon Army

Impossible for this to be lossless or in any way " identical " to the original signal.
A HDMI signal is up to 18gbps, you have to absolutely butcher it to get it over home mains wiring.

HdbaseT sets are now available for 99 pounds. I cannot see the point of this product when a lossless unlimited alternative exists for half the price.

Interesting comment about being aimed at installers, I cant see any installer giving this a second glance
Hi - Can't find that product/price on my initial google search. Any clues?

kdwg1308

andy1249

Distinguished Member
No , the signal is not tcp/ip compatible.
Neither wireless or powerline are any good for HDMI, results are poor at best.
The only way to do long runs between rooms properly is by running cable, and the best way to do that is HDbaseT.

kdwg1308

The only way to do long runs between rooms properly is by running cable, and the best way to do that is HDbaseT.
thanks, thought it sounded to simple to work.

Toon Army

Thanks for the prompt replies. Looks like I will need to take the cat 5/6 run out the wall up the side of the house ( behind a drain pipe ) and back in.

Lafty

For over £200 you may as well buy another blu-ray player or media box. Unless you like the idea of broadcasting the same content over all the screens in your house at once!

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think the main use for this would be for people to watch content from a Sky box in another room without having to pay for a mirror subscription.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I think the main use for this would be for people to watch content from a Sky box in another room without having to pay for a mirror subscription.
Which you could do at half the price and at completely lossless quality with HDbaseT as linked to above.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
I cannot see the point of this product when a lossless unlimited alternative exists for half the price.
The review says it works very well, albeit with 2ch sound. For those disinclined to running new cables across their house, I imagine this product does almost exactly what they need.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The review says it works very well, albeit with 2ch sound. For those disinclined to running new cables across their house, I imagine this product does almost exactly what they need.
Look elsewhere , this review is the best review Ive seen of it , most others rate the device as fair to appalling , as with all powerline devices , results depend greatly on the state of your home wiring , and in most cases that means bad !

The user review is closer to the truth for this device , Ive seen HDMI over powerline , I work with HDMI , and I wouldnt recommend them to anyone at any price , and certainly not at the high price this one commands !

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
As with any power line technology your home wiring has a huge impact on the speeds you will get. Our test location is a 42 year old house with originial wiring, so it isn't a brand new house with perfect wiring, but it isn't a very old house either. If you have power line adapters already and get good speeds then chances are you will do well with this product, but if you have tried power line adapters in your home and they suck, then it's likely this will too.

Also, the price when I did the review was £223, it's available now for just £133.