1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visible broadcast on Sony KLV26HG2

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Timber, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in John Lewis lunchtime looking at 26"" LCDs. I'd already done some desk research and had 90% decided that the SONY KLV26HG2 is the one for me. Looking at it in the flesh confirmed that I loved the picture quality and the styling.

However, next to the SONY was a Panasonic TX26LXD1. Both were tuned to BBC2 showing a rugby game. I noticed that the Sony had the BBC logo and score graphic right on the edge of the screen and looking at the Pany there was an extra 10% of broadcast that the SONY was not showing. I caught one of the assistants who cycled through the screen setting but was not able to get the equivalent set up on the Sony - the closest he go was a picture that was a little stretched (ie made people very slightly fat!) which I'm very sensitive to and could not live with.

I then noticed that there was a slight delay between the two pictures and concluded that the Pany was being fed a digital signal and the Sony an analogue. The assistant was not able to confirm if a digital feed would have resolved my concerns about viewing 100% of the picture being broadcast with out any vertical or horizontal distortion.

So could I see the perfect rugby match on the Sony with a digital feed? or do I need to find another product?

2. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you describe is called overscan, it's the amount that the display cuts off to reduce distortion at the edjes of the picture and to make the picture look bigger than it should for a given screen size. Sharp and Sony have an overscan of about 5% on each side, I'm not sure about others but I know some are much less. On the Sony this is partially caused by the fact that it is a 15:9 ratio screen, not 16:9, so if you set it to Wide mode then extra has to be cut off at the side to make it fit. In Smart mode the picture is stratched a little to 15:9 which is probably what you saw in the shop. The overscan is not adjustable as far as I know, but there may be some hidden installer menu where you can adjust it.

3. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - very clearly explained. So a digital signal would still leave me with the same compromise?

If the answer is yes what advice would people give me? I want a 26", I do not want to compromise on the picture quality that I have seen on the Sony, and I am sensative about styling (that is not to say the I'll buy only something with a Sony logo on it - but generally their stying does it for me).

How often are models replaced in this market place, is it worth waiting for the next Sony 26" update and hope that it is 16:9?

4. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Take a look at the Toshiba 26WL46. It's due to be replaced by a 27" shortly but can be picked up for £900. From seeing this next to the Sony I preferred the Toshiba (so much so that I bought one!) and it's a proper 16:9 screen.