Virus Protection. Are you OK?

AVG is an excellent piece of software. I may invest in the professional version.

I am not surprised as I have done that many times with the AV that I recommend, Kaspersky AV. Everyone seems to use the likes of Norton or McAfee. These slow the system and miss too many threats for my liking.

Yup the home user stuff from Norton and McAfee pretty much sucks ass.

However, the corporate editions are a different story. I've used both Symantec Corp & McAfee Corp. Both served me well. I'm using Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edtion currently & I love it! (Y)

AVG is superb and also free, picked up a few viri on my pc that nortons failed to catch when I changed virus check due to navs massive resource overhead

Pete

Singh400 said:
Yup the home user stuff from Norton and McAfee pretty much sucks ass.

However, the corporate editions are a different story. I've used both Symantec Corp & McAfee Corp. Both served me well. I'm using Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edtion currently & I love it! (Y)
I'm in total agreement there... the home versions of both products are truly awful, whereas VirusScan Enterprise is as good as an AV product can get.

I've no idea why they insist on having such huge differences between two versions of the same product? :rolleyes:

My protection comes from Talk Talk. My computer has not caught a cold or a virus as of yet. Certain potential hijackers have been blocked and have recently upgraded my window media player to WMP Version 11. It is even better and looks smarter and clearer.:rotfl:

Use Vista Beta 2, theres no virusses (virusi? viri? viruses?) for it yet :D

Bumping up this old thread, does anyone have a link to the free version of AVG Anti-virus. I have downloaded the latest version but it keeps asking for a licence number and I've had a look on the AVG website and can only see a 30 day trial version, not a completely free one.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

You can download the Free Edition of AVG here: http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10543927.html?tag=lst-0-2

Re: The comments about AVG finding stuff Norton et al missed - this is true, but it works the other way, too, so it's often worth having a second AV program handy to make sure nothing has slipped through AVG's net!

Also, some "less scrupulous" Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software publishers have been know to flag up fairly harmless cookies and items just for that "wow" factor when first running the program...

The main reason you get differences between the various AV programs is because most people don't bother to configure the software, and most AV products come with quite different default scanning rules...

They all work from just about identical virus databases, as they all share (steal?) threat info with each other anyway..

New threat detection is about the ony place you get a noteable difference really, McAfee are streets ahead in this field in my experiences. :)

NOD32 is by far the best I've used with Kapersky coming a close second.
Try the 30 day trial here:
http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Most AV programs can only detect viruses if they are as they are in their database, wheres NOD32 can detect unlisted evil that is most likely a virus.

Uses little resources and scans quickly, tons of awards.

Try it now, ask me how!

OldAndSenile said:
Re: The comments about AVG finding stuff Norton et al missed - this is true, but it works the other way, too, so it's often worth having a second AV program handy to make sure nothing has slipped through AVG's net!
Having 2 Anti-Virus programs running side by side is just asking for trouble. Not worth it in my opnion.

Singh400 said:
Having 2 Anti-Virus programs running side by side is just asking for trouble. Not worth it in my opnion.

I didn't mean at the same time, I just meant double-checking every so often with a second AV program to make sure you're fully covered. I agree that running 2 av programs at the same time would cause all sorts of havoc...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom