• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Virus problems despite using McAfee Software!!

Damo77

Standard Member
I recently had some virus problems with constant messages flashing on screen telling me that something called 'Vista Security' had cetected virus and that I needed to take action to remove them. But when then it keeps trying to direct me to buy some security/antivirus package!?!

But obviously I didnt want to do this as I already have McAfee on my laptop.

Anyway this kept happening and wouldnt let me access the internet or do much more on the laptop so I took it to a local computer shop and it cost me £80 to have the hard drive formated and Windows Vista reinstalled.

As I still have my McAfee subscription I am worried that this could happen again!

Should I ditch McAfee and find something else or was this just bad luck?

Thanks.

MarkE19

All AV/IS packages have those on the forum that love them, and those that hate them. McAfee is one of those at the top of many haters lists (I am one of them I must admit), but Norton etc are also the same. My biggest gripe with McAfee is that it eats up resources similar to the old Norton. I have also had to remove McAfee as it has totally locked up all network access on a couple of PC's due to downloading a corrupt database, and IMO it does not have one of the better detection rates for maleware and virus attacks.
What you could do is keep McAfee if you have already paid for a years protection with it and back it up with with a regular manual scan using Malwarebytes which is free to use and would probably have removed the 'Vista Security' malware without the need for a full system restore.

Mark.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
The worse thing about this is the £80 and the wipe.

If the shop guy knew what he was doing/could be bothered he could have corrected this in 20 minutes without the wipe by reading this forum. There are many similar threads and solutions everywhere.

Vista Security is one variant of the many "scareware" threats that are abundant at the moment.

I must have dealt with these twelve times now on different laptops protected by many of the respected AV security offerings. So changing from McAfee to any other isn't a guarantee.

Until the AV providers sort their act out we will need to remove this manually as MarkE19 says using MBAM and help from this forum.

aliEnRIK

If youd posted here earlier, id (we) almost certainly have been able to help you simply by relaying instructions through this forum

As above, I HATE Mcrapee. Real resource hog and expensive to boot. I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole

MarkE19

The worse thing about this is the £80 and the wipe.
Agree, but I was trying to be a little diplomatic as the money had already been spent and therefore nothing could be done about it :(

Mark.

MarkE19

If youd posted here earlier, id (we) almost certainly have been able to help you simply by relaying instructions through this forum
In an ideal world yes, but remember not every houshold has more than 1 PC/laptop and therefore the OP may not have been able to get onto the forum to ask for help.

Mark.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Agree, but I was trying to be a little diplomatic as the money had already been spent and therefore nothing could be done about it :(
I hear you Mark, but if this isn't pointed out the OP may do this again or recommend friends and family.

uberammerz

I had this 'Vista Security' virus a while ago, took advice from this forum, downloaded Malwarebytes and alls been well ever since!!!:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom