Virus preventing me from accessing my programs

Steven Y2T

Standard Member
Reaction score
I got a virus a couple of days ago on my laptop and now it is preventing me from using almost all of my programs, including internet.
It is the Fake Windows XP security center virus.
I did have a Norton anti-virus, but I hadn't updated it since it ran out. So when I saw I had a virus, I managed to upgrade to Norton 360, while I could still access the internet.
Norton hasn't been able to find the virus, which is causing me the problems though.
I have Ad-aware, which I was able to run, but it is also outdated and wouldn't let me update and that didn't find anything.

I have a lot of music and photos on my laptop, which I really don't want to lose.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I might be able to get rid of the virus, without losing all of my documents?

Last edited:
That is what I was going to do, but the virus is preventing me from accessing the internet so I can't download Malware Bytes.
Would I be able to copy the Malware Bytes program from another computer onto my lap top?

That is what I was going to do, but the virus is preventing me from accessing the internet so I can't download Malware Bytes.
Would I be able to copy the Malware Bytes program from another computer onto my lap top?
Yeah just copy the installer over.

Run MBAM and SuperAntispyware one after another by downloading them on another PC/Laptop and burning them onto a cd or mem stick and install from there.

Once it's all installed, cleaned and rebooted be run CCleaner to wipe off any trace of what's left of it in registry etc to ensure it's all gone.

If you reboot and keep pressing F8 to get into SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING it sometimes allows downloads

Even if you copy it over it might not install and in that case RIGHT click the file and RENAME it to something random (sdfji56hert.exe)

I ran Malware bytes over the weekend and it found 18 spyware etc, then I ran CCleaner, but the Fake Windows XP anti-spyware was still showing up.

I'll try 'MBAM' and 'SuperAntispyware' though to see if they do the trick.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Please open malwarebytes and goto LOGS and post the WHOLE of the log here

then ~

reboot

Download HIJACK THIS (Make sure you click 'DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION')
Download HijackThis 2.0.3 Beta - FileHippo.com
Click MAIN MENU then DO A SYSTEM SCAN AND SAVE A LOGFILE(Takes seconds) then post the log so we can see whats running
(do NOT do anything else with Hijack but scan and post the FULL log)

(Hijack really needs to be run in NORMAL mode if possible)

I ran Malware Bytes again, which didn't find anything. I then ran SuperAntiSpyware and it found 16 infected items. It seems to have gotten rid of the fake Windows XP anti-spyware, as that is no longer popping up or preventing me from opening my programs.
Although when I first start up, about 10 black document boxes appear, then they disappear. One also appears if I try to double click on any icon on my desktop, except for Internet Explorer. I can access all programs by right clicking the icon, then clicking on start.

Anyone have any ideas why that might be happening?

You sound very heavily infected, some of the stuff gets very deep into Windows. Sometimes it is better, easier and safer to just give in format and reinstall.

I had this same problem last week
If the virus is called Internet Security 2010?
I assume it doesn’t let you go in to Task Manager and turn it off? I know when I got it I couldn’t access Task Manager at all but I could get in to delete some registry Keys which at least allowed me to download Spydoctor. When I ran Spydoctor it said it found loads of stuff but then it wanted £29.95 to remove the virus but I think it keeps it incubated because I never purchased the full version of Spydoctor and yet my Laptop is fine now.

If you google “Internet Security 2010” there are lots of threads and suggestions on how to remove the virus manually if you cannot install anything.

BTW I also had Norton 360 and Adaware and none of these could find it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom