1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Dolby

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jGrahamD, Mar 15, 2002.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just got a 33 inch Thomson TV with Virtual dolby. I have a DVD with a Dolby 5.1 and DTS decoder, connected to a 5.1 amplifier speaker system. Unfortunately, I don't have a prologic decoder, so I can only get surround sound from the DVD. If anyone knows where you can get a seperate decoder, I would like to know.

However, I was intrigued by the Virtual sound on the TV. When watching from about 15 ft (a respectable viewing distance for this set) I noticed the stereo seperation appeared to be the width of the room, even though the speakers are only about 18 inches apart. I then tried watching a film from about 6 or 7 feet. Now I could hear sounds 90 degrees to the left and right of me and on occasion from behind. I had read that Virtual Dolby is little different from normal NICAM stereo, so I wasn't expecting anything. I suspect that it depends on how it is set up, possibly depending on reflected sound. Whilst not as good as 5.1, it certainly gives a more immersive sound experience than NICAM alone.

2. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Sat and read this over and over for 5 minutes,but still cant quite get my head round it:confused: :confused: Am i just being thick?:D More replies needed.

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ron,
    What I am after, is a decoder box which will take the NICAM stereo output from either the TV or Video and connect to my surround amplifier. I heard of such things available a few years ago, but I am not sure if anyone makes them now.

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    What make is your amp? I take it from what you are saying that it does not have any internal decoding? Are you able to connect the tv to the amp using an ordinary set of phono leads to see what effect this gives you.

5. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd only be able to connect to two channels, so I don't think I'd get much improvement over the built in Virtual Dolby system. I think there are some boxes that combine Digital Dolby and Prologic decoders, but I don't want to fork out much more money on it.

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    Almost all of the popular amplifiers/receivers combine Dolby Digital,Pro Logic and DTS but like you said it will cost money.In the meantime try connecting the phono leads,it wont cost you anything and you might be surprised at the result.:)

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually, if the decoder does DD5.1, it will do earlier standards too.

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jGrahamD

What Amp do you have that only does 5.1??

Laurel

9. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Scan SC2500 DVD with 6 channel decoded audio output, connected directly to a Packard Bell dumb amplifier with 6 channel audio input.

10. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Instead of shelling out for a serarate decoder why not buy a new amp that fits your requirments as there may not be a huge price difference between them. Yamaha do a decoder(DSP-800 I think) as I am sure do others but again I would get the amp. BTW connect your phono outputs from your tv to your amp as has been mentioned, in my experience stand alone components do a much better job with audio than tv's.