1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Virtual" Dolby Pro Logic OR Flat Screen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Major Dutch, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Major Dutch

Major Dutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Given my current budget and the fact I am buying a new house I would like your opinions on the following.

I've been looking at 28" widescreen TVs and have noticed that I seem to be able to afford either a flat tube 28" with nicam sound, a standard tube 28" screen with nicam or a standard tube 28" with "Virtual" Dolby surround.

My folks currently own a 28" widescreen with "Virtual" Dolby and I must say I'm not exactly blown away with it; it's pretty far from being surrounded by speakers TBH.

So which of the options would you go for? I'm thinking 28" flat tube with standard nicam sound....

Cheers

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, that's what I would go for.

At least you can do something with the audio later on when you have more money. Virtual Surround and it's cronies sux imo.

Ever since I have had an AV setup (which would sound 100x better than any TV would imo) my volume on my TV has been turned off.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Personally, I'd never buy a TV on the strength of its audio features - they are NEVER going to be that good anyway. Audio on a TV should be seen as a pure convenience factor only. Buy on the strength of image quality. Audio is something that can (and should) be addressed separately, when funds allow.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,078
    I second that vote for the flat screen, nicam option

Definitely what I would go for given your choices. As the others have said you can always upgrade the sound later to a full on system.

Greg

5. Major Dutch

Major Dutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that chaps,

Nigel made a good point about what a TV is really for, and that’s visuals, I can certainly add an audio system later on.

So you've all tipped me over the precipice I was teetering on, Flatscreen it is :smashin: