1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Dolby anyone?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wayne Moule, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've just ordered a Sony TV with Virtual Dolby,not for this feature though.I was just wondering whether anyone has tried Virtual Dolby and is it any good,as it is licenced by Dolby?

Oh and how's it meant to work?

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: Wayne Moule ]</p>

2. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's a way of simulating surround sound without the rear speakers found in a conventional surround sound system. I'm not sure exactly how it works. It has something to do with sending the rear sound information to the left and right front speakers in a certain way that tricks your ears into thinking that there is sound coming from behind you. I just know that this is a cheap way of trying to create the surround sound experience. Ultimately you should have a proper 6 speaker setup with the appropriate surround processor/amp. You may be able to get more info from <a href="http://www.dolby.com" target="_blank">www.dolby.com</a>

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    JVC used to make a big deal about their virtual surround sound system in their tellys.<br />Ultimately it doesn't work as well as a real surround sound system, of course.<br />There might be some TV reviews on the HCC site worth looking at.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    I used to have a JVC TV with a Virtual Dolby Surround feature. As above supposed to give you surround effects without rear speakers, in actual fact just seperated the stereo a bit more (and ruined the soundstage). It was licenced by Dolby but I don't think that really makes it any better. My Samsung DVD has a virtual surround mode too that is basically the same thing - not recommended.

AMc