Virtual console travesty

Because of NTSC and PAL being 2 different frequencies.

Reason being that we can't have NTSC games is a international copyright issue. Complicated!

why are pal games slower? :confused:

Ntsc refreshes at 60hz
Pal refreshes at 50hz

The Pal signal has more lines than the NTSC which is why
you see borders and as pal refreshes slower (17.5%) than Ntsc thats
the speed difference.

It's just typical of the way UK/European gamers have been treated for years. I really like the idea of the virtual console, I've played Donkey Kong Country which seems fine but Sonic really did take me right back with those huge borders. It's just not needed when the superior version is available elsewhere. Come on Nintendo you know you can do better by us!!

As Sonic is obviously a Sega game isn't it down to them what version appears on the VC?
Cheers

Neil

This is all a little anal to be honest. Yes I guess versions without borders would be better but it's hardly a travesty! Just get over it and enjoy the games is my view. If not then just don't buy them.

This is all a little anal to be honest. Yes I guess versions without borders would be better but it's hardly a travesty! Just get over it and enjoy the games is my view. If not then just don't buy them.

I hear what you're saying. BUT
This is a really wasted opportunity IMO - they could be doing a much better job.

I hear what you're saying. BUT
This is a really wasted opportunity IMO - they could be doing a much better job.

That is your opinion my friend. I prefer my Wii's display to run in 567i over 480i as it looks better that way for all my Wii games. When I get a component cable then I will run at 480p so I could play VC games at 60Hz. This is one of the problem Nintendo are fighting, this console is desgned for everyone and there are TV's out there that dont support 60Hz so the priority in this region had to be to port PAL games I believe. How would you feel if you shelled out all that money on a console then couldn't play half the VC titles because your TV doesn't support them?

I do like the idea of allowing all regions to be downloadable but this still goes back to the fact that there are a lot of people out there who would not understand the difference and could be left unable to play a game they downloaded in error.

How is this Nintendo's fault ? Isnt it the law that they have to provide PAL in EU/AUS and NTSC elsewhere ?
If Nintendo is merely complying with international laws then this isnt their fault.

Buying one region's game could entitle you to all regions of that game. I mean what do they lose.
I understand the concept of making this simple for people - but to be honest - If you've managed to get wireless networking working - you're perfectly capable of working out which VC games your TV can handle - it just needs a simple test before each download begins to make sure the current chosen resolution matched the game being downloaded.

The main thing that annoys me with VC is that we have to pay for it at all. When the wii was first announced (then called revolution) and it was known you could download old games there was no mention of charge in fact most magazines hinted it would be free. I dont want to even pay £5+ for a game I already have just so I dont have to link up my old NES.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay for SMB64 when they already own it on the DS either.

this same issue was why I bought a Jap Megadrive when they came out. The speed diff between the PAL and Jap console annoyed the hell out of me!

Also the fact that the jap console could play any game from any country was something to do with it!

I still own a JAP megadrive although I got it for the multi region aspect not realising the advantages speed wise at the time lol. Oh to be 13 again.

The main thing that annoys me with VC is that we have to pay for it at all. When the wii was first announced (then called revolution) and it was known you could download old games there was no mention of charge in fact most magazines hinted it would be free. I dont want to even pay £5+ for a game I already have just so I dont have to link up my old NES.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay for SMB64 when they already own it on the DS either.

I bought SM64 on VConsole, we have it upstairs on a N64 still working, I paid the money for convenience really, its nice to have a collection of the best games all in one little box, even better solution than on the PC and chipped Xbox IMO

It was a tad over priced, but the staff at Nintendo arnt working for free you know.

To be honest the Virtual console isn't that important to me personally. I may buy the odd great game that I missed first time around but that's it really. They are a bit overpriced considering that they offer nothing new from the original (no online play, extra control utilising thw Wiimote etc.). It will be good for people who were not around when the classics were originally released or to get games that were missed 1st time around.

If anybody is so concerned by the gamble of VC games why dont you start a website to upload screenshots of each game to get an idea of what borders are there? Obviously the speed is impossible to judge without video but if everyone is concerned most about horrible borders then this would allow some help in deciding whether to purchase or not.

Not sure if this has been posted already? www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii/ VC Reviews.

I spose there are 2 groups of people those who are bothered and those not. Yes most people probably wont know any better as they havent played full screen full speed snes games. But for those who have played the games as the developers intended its unlikely they'll be staisfied with paying more for an inferior product. Thats the reason why i (and others) am annoyed. The idea of paying more for a palpably inferior product is a travesty. In fact its because so many gamers in the 16bit era were fed up with inferior conversions that most games now are optimised for pal or have a 60hz option (hell some games are 60hz only).

Its not just borders and speed thats the problem but the actual image is distorted by the conversion. When the developers made lazy pal conversions they kept the same 480i resolution on a 576i screen resulting in borders with a squeezed picture (circles become oval etc).

Anyway as i say its not the end of the world and if you really want full screen full speed versions there's allways pc emulation, but i must say i was looking forward to playing metroid etc in the lounge.

I do think if enough people boycott Pal VC games nintendo may change their policy.

I notice that the PC Engine games are Pal 60hz optimised which is great! I think that a purchase of Bonks Adventure and Super Star Soldier may be in order! :)

I understand both sides of the discussion and can see why people who imported earlier consoles to get the speed improvement would be annoyed. In fairness though those same people could have imported a Wii too...

I do hope Nintendo change their policy though to make everyone happy.

By the way thanks for the link Wookie04

I remember the same arguments on the 360 forums when arcade games had borders round them and people complained that they had to pay for games.
I always knew that they wouldnt be free to download so anyone that was expecting them to be needs to get with the times really. All these companies are out to make money and the VC can be a nice little earner for them.
why buy SMB64 when you get it on the DS? Errm mainly because it controlled terribly on the DS imo and why play on a small screen when i can have it on a 100" screen!

Its not the borders that get me. Its mainly the speed issue. Makes a big difference if you want to compete againest american or japanese game completion times. I just feel ripped off having played all these great games on Megadrive, snes, nes, and 64, and then to find out that all along we were gettin much slower version of the game and still are to this day. It makes me tempted to import a 64 just to play goldeneye in 60Hz, as it was meant to be played.

Its not the borders that get me. Its mainly the speed issue. Makes a big difference if you want to compete againest american or japanese game completion times. I just feel ripped off having played all these great games on Megadrive, snes, nes, and 64, and then to find out that all along we were gettin much slower version of the game and still are to this day. It makes me tempted to import a 64 just to play goldeneye in 60Hz, as it was meant to be played.

Well you just do that then!

Like myself and others have stated. The majority of people that own a wii will have only ever played PAL versions like myself so speed issue isnt important. For those that are really anal about "completion times" then go get yourself a US wii. Goldeneye in 60Hz? Well i thought the pal version was excellent myself!

In response to an earlier discussion of Secret of Mana 2, it is readily available out in the emulation world translated into English. I've played it through but found it not as good as Secret of Mana 1... although still worth playing.

I hate paying for the same game twice so very much doubt I'll make any use of the virtual console. Had Ninty reworked the games in the same way as Xbox Arcade (e.g. Doom and Streetfighter 2 getting online multiplayer) I'd be much more interested!

In response to an earlier discussion of Secret of Mana 2, it is readily available out in the emulation world translated into English. I've played it through but found it not as good as Secret of Mana 1... although still worth playing.

I hate paying for the same game twice so very much doubt I'll make any use of the virtual console. Had Ninty reworked the games in the same way as Xbox Arcade (e.g. Doom and Streetfighter 2 getting online multiplayer) I'd be much more interested!

I agree that some form of online component should of been added to the games!
I personally cant see myself having loads of VC games. Just a select few from each system for me!
Got Mario64 so far and i wouldnt mind banjo kazooie and starfox64 from the N64 era.

Nes i wouldnt mind some if not all the megaman series of games, (preferably megaman 2 as this was the best in the series imo) also punch out and rc pro am!

Snes will prob get the most downloads from me as it still is my fav console of all time. I await with baited breath!

Had Mario64 been the DS version optimised for large widescreen support I would have been much more interested.

Just been reading a few reviews from the meanmachinemag site linked earlier and it seems this issue isn't as widespread as some of you would have us believe.

Sonic is given a health warning for Pal users but Bomberman 93 has been optimised for Pal users, Pal Mario 64 plays with slight borders but has been optimised to play at the same speed as NTSC and Donkey Kong Country is originally optimised for 50Hz and not even available in the US (seems they suffer the same problem in reverse in this case).

IMO the biggest travesty is Ninty are trying to sell us games we already own with no additional features!

I also think the prices are about 30% too high to make them no-brainers.
If they were 3/5/8 instead of 5/8/10 I would have chucked a couple more in my basket. As it is Bomberman 93 remains my only purchase.
I think ultimately they'll make more money selling them cheaper.

Bomberman 93 is the only game that really tempts me but I'd sooner hold out for an Xbox Live Arcade version with 10 player online support! I used to play the PC's Atomic Bomberman 10 player over the university network... :censored: brilliant :smashin:

If the games were re-worked slightly to include additional gameplay features (such Mario 64 DS) or online elements (such as Xbox Live Arcade's Doom, Streetfighter 2, etc.) then the prices would be fine!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom