Virtual console travesty

steve0

Banned
We are being charged more than the US yet we get second rate versions of the game. Nintendo just cant be bothered with Europe as usual

tryingtimes

Seem to remember Secret of Evermore being made by square usa and wasn't up to square's usualy standards? It's also cited as a reason why they never release Secre of Mana 2 in the west which i was gutted about.
Don't say that - I'm just about to Ebay my copy :) It's the best game ever! :D
My main problem with it is just the artwork - if you're not japanese - don't bother trying to do RPG artwork IMO :)
It's also not 2/3 player which is why I loved SoM so much.

As for SD3 (mana2) yes - I was gutted too. But I thought the reason was that it was so buggy. Square America thought they could a better job which was SoE. The screenshots of SD3 in magazines certainly looked fantastic. I bet there's a RO and fan translation available somewhere.

addyb

Distinguished Member
So you wont be annoyed when you've got borders all around the image on your widescreen tv, then you have to zoom in some arbitrary amount which your tv probably doesn't support.
No will i hell be annoyed. There will only be a select few i will download anyway and borders or no borders im sure i will have fun with them anyway!
I only want to play some for nostalga purposes. Not hardcore 5 hours a night spent on them!

A

aazzauk

guys this isnt nintendos fault, there releasing the PAL versions of the game not second rate versions.

if you want to blame someone blame the americans for not going with a better standard of tv or the person that made british tvs like they are, if you had a pal megadrive or pal snes there will be no difference, except borders but i downloaded sonic and there not that bad.

tryingtimes

I say have all the global releases available to everyone in their original form.
If we have the choice, that's the best thing. What would really gain kudos is if by buying one version you got them all. That way you could try the japanese version for a while and see if you got stuck with the language or not.

BTW the borders must have been on the original Sonic release - otherwise they wouldn't be on there now.

taylaw

Novice Member
The price and the 'region' issue of the VC annoys me but borders I can deal with, I watch plenty of DVD's with borders when they're presented in 2:35 (or whatever) and In fact I prefer it that way, having always watched 'letterbox' formats on a 4:3 tv, I'm used to the bars. Whenever I play cube games on the widescreen I always change the format to 4:3 and I like to watch american programs on sky in 4:3 too, this gives really big borders at both sides but at least I'm seeing the complete/non-stretched frame as the developer/director intended. Oh and slower gameplay isn't an issue either, I'm getting on these days and the slower the better.............

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
I honestly think some of you like to moan about just about anything :rolleyes:

Or maybe im just to easy going? :rolleyes:

Im not having a go at you guys but it does seem that some of you almost want something to go wrong so you can have a gripe.

Yes im disapointed at the loss of speed and the SMALL borders in the retro games, But come on people is it the end of the world? :rolleyes:

I really dont think so, Oh and as i said earlier be honest now, Would you have noticed if someone had not pointed it out? I bet not.

addyb

Distinguished Member
I honestly think some of you like to moan about just about anything :rolleyes:

Or maybe im just to easy going? :rolleyes:

Im not having a go at you guys but it does seem that some of you almost want something to go wrong so you can have a gripe.

Yes im disapointed at the loss of speed and the SMALL borders in the retro games, But come on people is it the end of the world? :rolleyes:

I really dont think so, Oh and as i said earlier be honest now, Would you have noticed if someone had not pointed it out? I bet not.

I agree mate. The VC is just a nice additional extra yet people are moaning about having "slower" games and "borders" Jeez these games are only meant for a bit of retro gaming so take them for what they are. It was obvious mths ago that we wouldnt get other region VC games so why are people moaning again now when we already knew! Other people moan at the prices but again it depends on what titles you get. Obviously if you remember games from yesteryear you will know if there worthy of the cash. I bought mario64 last night costing me £7 and i dont mind the cost considering how great and massive the game is. I will easily get my moneys worth there! If i wanted to join the moaners bandwagon my only gripe is the fact that you cant play these online but im hoping that will change in the future. If it doesnt then who cares!

james.miller

it's not small boarders in a lot of games actually. some of them have either rather large boarder or run much slower or a mixture of both. mario64 for example defintaly did have annoying boarders on the pal version because it ran so slowly in full screen. i loved my jap n64 for that very reason. That and goldeneye&perfect dark were very different animals in ntsc guise. Tbh its rediculous that they cant give us the games as they were intended, especially when we pay the most for them...

addyb

Distinguished Member
The console has been out for 6 days!!! Sure so far there is only a couple of titles from the list that appeal to me so far but theres a few coming in the next week i want. Over time im sure most will appear that we want!
I always wanted super castlevania and probotector to get released and am surprised its happening so soon!
Bring it on!

BuFF DaDDy

Novice Member
Nice to see you give things a chance mate!!

LMAO
This is what I cant explain either, some people go out spend 50 rats on a 360 game, complete it (not all achievements) and then take it back to the store a couple of days later to get ripped off on an exchange. The mind boggles! Give it a chance for christ sake :rolleyes: , look at the 360 a year down the line and now the real good games are coming out Gears anyone?

Cowden_harley

Exactly the 360 is the perfect example in the summer I was almost bored but persevered and now im flooded with games.

tryingtimes

Yes but this time he's had the excitement of the first games, then will make a profit when he sells. He can always pick up another come Feb, when they are more available.

steggy

Novice Member
Who's to say we wont get previously unreleased games on these shores?

I'm sure I've read that a few of the Turbo Grafix games weren't released over here, so you never know.

I still have my fingers crossed that Mario RPG makes it to our VC.

PS Isn't Rare a UK company? this might explain DKC running ok on the VC.

adrian29459

Novice Member
I myself have never tried the NTSC versions of say sonic and mario etc. Although I used to play emulators on my pc of sonic and I used to think it was just the PC making them run faster, but now I know it was the american version all along! Here's a video I digged up as proof of how bad the PAL version of sonic is compared to the NTSC version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0llsb77Esc It makes me frustrated too!

stepp

Novice Member
As said above in my post, me and all my friends agree the virtual console on PAL Wii is nothing short of dogs poo.

Maybe if everyone stopped buying the virtual games Nintendo may wonder why and actually pull their fingers out of their asses instead of counting all the money they have made from the Wii.

LMAO @ the video posted of Sonic....that sums it up nicely. Now why the hell would we want to keep buying stupid Wii points to play games that are slow slow slow slow.

As i said DONT BUY THE VIRTUAL GAMES.

stu.artd

It just shows how much Nintendo still hates (exaggeration there, treats poorly is more accurate :) ) the UK and Europe. They pull us all in and make everyone think Nintendo doesn't really hate them after all by releasing the Wii here, in the US and Japan all within a couple of weeks of one another then kick us in the walnut whips by giving us some good but also some pretty messed up VC games.

It's just typical of the way UK/European gamers have been treated for years. I really like the idea of the virtual console, I've played Donkey Kong Country which seems fine but Sonic really did take me right back with those huge borders. It's just not needed when the superior version is available elsewhere. Come on Nintendo you know you can do better by us!!

shagaboopon

If anybody is so concerned by the gamble of VC games why dont you start a website to upload screenshots of each game to get an idea of what borders are there? Obviously the speed is impossible to judge without video but if everyone is concerned most about horrible borders then this would allow some help in deciding whether to purchase or not.

mad_angler1

Novice Member
why are pal games slower? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton