Virtual CD drive

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm setting up my main PC in my office as a kind of DVD/music/games system and am having a few problems. The main one is having to put CD's in all the time to use various software.

Say I had a piece of software that required a CD every time you ran it. Is there any way I can put the CD image on the hard drive and make it use that? I can create an ISO image OK.

I have tried things like Daemon but with little success.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to do this? I'm a bit of a div when it comes to this kind of thing so something simple would be good.

Hope someone can help.

PS: I want to do this to use legitamately purchased software, not to rip or hack anything. It's simply for convenience.

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,993
    steve,

do a google for "alcohol 120%" and "A-ray scanner"

Aray is freeware, and used for determining the copy protection method of your legitimately purchased software, then alcohol is used for making images of the CDs, and mounting them using upto 31 virtual CD drives..

Bought it myself for exactly the same reason, It's awesome.
    Costs about £25, and you can download a trial version which is fully functional bit will only mount 1 drive...

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.