1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual 6.1 Decoding on STRDB1070???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kelvin, May 30, 2002.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I currently have a 5.1 setup on my 1070 amp but I was under the impression that a "Virtual 6.1" Mode was also available for if you didn't have the centre back (as there is on the STRDB870). How do you activate this??

I've tried setting the "6.1 decoding" option in the setup menu to "ON", "OFF", AND "AUTO" but each time I press the 6.1ch decoding button it flashes "AUTO ONLY" on the display. The only luck I've had has been with Pearl Harbour (6.1) where the 6.1 light illuminates, however, I'm not sure if this is actually sending a signal to the centre back, or if it is entering the "Virtual" mode. Is it possible to play 5.1 discs in a "Virtual 6.1" mode? The centre back speaker is set to off in the menu.

On a separate note - is Episode 1 in 6.1?? I thought it was but the 6.1 light doesn't come on when I play it!!??

Many thanks, Kelvin :D

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Cant help you with the Virtual 6.1 but the amp is detecting the "flag" on the disc that tells you its a 5.1 EX/6.1 ES disc.

Not all discs are flagged though, The Phantom Menace is 5.1EX but isnt flagged, Pearl Harbour despite the flag is actually 5.1, there was a balls up when they coded the disc and someone left the coding flag on!!

As Craig_Nike points out below, the Dolby tracks are 5.1EX not 6.1 as I originally typed!:eek: :blush:

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelvin - the reason you are getting auto only is because you are in A.F.D sound mode.

Almost everybody with this reciever watches in either 'Normal Surround" or "Cinema Studio EX B". Either one will solve your Virtual 6.1 decoding questiosn - it will work perfectly now.
    It sould put the little SB letters (without a box around it) in the receiver display. This means that it is sending this sound out, but there is no speaker there to reciever it (ie no box) 0- it will send the sound to the Side surrounds.

Also SW Ep1 is not 6.1 it is only 5.1EX (stands for Extended surround - it has a centre rear sound channel in it but it is not a discrete Centre Rear channel) - Dolby/THX do not have any 6.1 technologies.

Your 1070 will perfectly deocde DD5.1EX as long as you dont have it in A.F.D.
    Also not very many Dolby disks have the flags on them, to tell your reciver to automatically go into Dolby 5.1EX (until very recently) so your best bet is to leave the 1070 on either 'Normal Surround or CinemaStudio EX B' and that will automatically make every disk you listen to 5.1EX (Extra Surround).

Give us a yell if you have any other queries.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks a lot Craig - all sorted now :cool: Will let you know if I have any more probs!

Jase - you sure Pearl Harbour isn't in 6.1?? The front of my amp says DD 3/2+1 - if it was just flaged as 6.1 surely the amp wouldn't actually be able to pick up 6 seperate channels and display them like this would it?? Or is this an "automatic" display since the disc is flagged?

Kelvin :D

5. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase is right the French company that did the mixing left the flag on from the previous disk they were running - so the story goes.
    Pearl Harour definately is only standard 5.1.

Even though the 1070 comes up 3/2+1......
    Glad you noticed that - what I've been trying to work out is that Sony claims "true 6.1 decopder" on this machine - which means it can actually decode the only 6.1 technology out there (dts ES discrete) OR they have lazily called Dolby 5.1EX 6.1 because it invloves the centre rear.

If in fact it was dts ES discrete compatible - it would surely come up dts 3/3, instead of dts 3/2+1 on discrete disks - what does yours do ?

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    craig, sony gb and europe advertise the 1070 as a 6.1 chanel receiver-some mag. advertisers quote this in a misleading way.

ken.

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stranger thanks for your reply but I have no idea what your trying to say, sorry.

Are you sdaying you think it is or isnt dts discrete capable ?

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    craig, no it's not es but you said sony advertised the amp. as true 6.1 decoder, they actually say true 6.1 chanel.