Virtua Tennis 3 download demo

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Tazbot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Tazbot

Tazbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Quite a disappointment really :thumbsdow

Might give this game a miss. Played the demo and won easily 1st time – very much like Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, which I completed AND enjoyed.

However, I was expecting superb graphics and stuff – IMO it’s no better, graphically speaking, to Mario Power Tennis on the Gamecube. It runs in 1080i and the players, although life like, looked washed out.

The music, omg, what a load of overloud trash – why do Sega think that everyone likes Heavy Rock – at least give the option of turning it off even in the demo!

I’m glad I did not buy this game – fair play to those who have though.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    A big download as well for only being able to play one game.
    It's okay and I hope you could turn off the music in the full version.
    Compared to playing it on the PSP though it felt "distant" to me.

3. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Like the saying goes don't judge a book by it's cover. In this case don't judge a game by it's demo. I'm not sure what you were expecting but the graphics whilst they shouldn't be compared to those of Mario Power Tennis are definitely a :censored: site better. Mario Tennis is a cartoony game whilst VT3 is not.

I haven't played the demo but the strange thing is that the 360 demo was pretty hard and frustrating. Maybe that's why they made the PS3 one easier. I have the actual game and there are different levels of difficulty you can set it to. Also I believe you can turn the music off in the full retail version.

Whilst the game isn't a vast improvement over the previous ones it is an improvement with cleaner sharper graphics and improved gameplay. There are if I recall correctly a lot more players to choose from in this latest incarnation. I suggest you give the full game a try before passing judgement. On a final note this game is a lot more fun then other tennis games like Top Spin and Smash Court.

4. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought this game and its awesome!

I'm fan since the original for Dreamcast and i can say, this one is better AND harder...

There are new shots you can make (running shots, drop balls (real drop balls)), each player is very detailed, career mode it's much better with more and better mini-games plus Academy for other challenges to pass (Gold, silver and bronze).

Then there's the off-line multiplayer where you can play those fun minigames with up to 4 players in the same screen!

And did i say this one is harder? I almost finished the career mode but i'm yet to pass several challenges at the academy and yet to beat king and the other guy...

5. TIMDAVIES-AVFOR

TIMDAVIES-AVFOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys - i'm new to this forum stuff and came to this site to get info on a new tv but noticed the tennis demo thread - where did you get the tennis demo from? - i'm amazed how little stuff there is to download for the ps3!!
    cheers

tim

6. timus

timus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Its on the PSN Store.

7. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Its on the US store,Its not on the UK one unless it has been updated in the last 2 hours since I was there.

8. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It's on the UK store, just not on the front page.. you have to look in the games section specifically.

9. TIMDAVIES-AVFOR

TIMDAVIES-AVFOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh! - thanks guys... i've got so used to the ps store being the same i've been looking for downloads on my pc!! cheers

10. small358786

small358786
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Just sold a couple of games and ordered VT3,hopefully you can mute the music that is in the demo version.

11. Tazbot

Tazbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Never compared the game to Mario Power Tennis but to get a game that's more or less graphically equal on a 'next gen console' to the Gamecube - come on Sony - then my opinion stays. In fact, apart from the character modelling (which is really good) I'd say it's quite similar to the Dreamcast version.

I'd expect the game to be harder though, which is a step up, so credit given where it's due. I know never to judge a game by its demo so maybe I will rent it when possible then judge.

It will have to work hard to beat the fun factor of Mario Power Tennis though - maybe a wrong comparison because MPT is a different game.

12. MarVell

MarVell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    VT3 on the PS3 feels a bit of a missed opportunity to me. The lack of online play is inexcusable (especially since the 360 version has it) and the graphics are not the revelation they should have been. Most of the players look horrible when the camera zooms in during the cutscenes. The music is also pants. The gameplay has been slightly improved over the Dreamcast original but overall VT on the PS3 did not have the same impact on me as it had back on the DC. It's still a good game but it should have been more.

13. m11rphy

m11rphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I downloaded this earlier today and have to say it is a lot easier than the xbox360 demo however i was very impressed with the graphics they are even better than the 360 version think im gonna hav to get this game

14. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    you can mute the music!!

The game IS mint!!! Even my wife loves it!!

15. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have this game and the graphics are sharp,detailed and the animations are good.I find your opinion bizarre, it is so much better than any gamecube game in regards to visuals.What tv do you have? Maybe change the settings? I have not played the demo but i have finished the full game, unless the grahics are worse on the demo then i am really struggling to take you seriously here,anyone comparing any ps3 game to a gamecube game is,in my opinion, confused. :boring:

16. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It's actually a nice looking game and quite fun, but my one major niggle is you can't switch off the music. If that's the same on the main game I'm not buying it on that basis alone - tennis is supposed to be a quiet game not have rock music going off in the background!

17. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    You can turn it off.In the main menu,before you load your game,select sound options and turn the slider all the way to left.No more music.:D

It is the very first thing i did when i started the game up.

18. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Played all the supposedly next-gen tennis games, Topspin & VT and none of them have next gen gameplay when compared to Super Tennis on the SNES lol. VT is for kids, you cannot even hit a shot out on purpose. Far too arcadey for me. Topspin 2 has it's moments and is the better of the 2 games, especially online gameplay wise. In VT3 it's just a divefest when 2 half decent players meet each other.

19. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Once you get used to it you can easily avoid diving.I have had some cracking games with a mate who is also good and there is hardly any diving involved.if you get in a good position before you start your shot then the diving will not happen.Fed up of reading this BS about the diving.:rolleyes:

20. RS 4273

RS 4273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The game is total pants, so unrealistic,to easy, to much diving about ,total rubbish..!! End of.......:thumbsdow

21. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I decided to get the game today.. it's *far* from easy & will definately fill up a good few hours of game time. There's a lot more subtlety to it than the demo shows - I suspect it's possible to get quite good at it once you've mastered all the little tricks.

Got to the second character on the tournament and he slaughtered me 2-0 instantly. That's not a sign of an easy game..

From the description of the others I'm rather glad there's no online element in this game - if you can cheat by diving instead of playing the game properly it's no fun.

22. UKCanuck

UKCanuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    YES - you can turn the music off!!

Like so many have already said - don't judge a game by it's demo, it's meant to be a taster. If I remember correctly, lots of people were "put off buying" Motorstorm by it's glitchy graphics in the demo - I hope these same people gave the final, finished game a fair chance, otherwise they're missing out.

Incidentally, bought my copy of VT3 for £29 delivered from VG+ and it arrived in 4 days :thumbsup:

23. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I would say that anyone put off from buying this game don't base your decision on the demo or the negative comments here. Try the full game yourself. It's not meant to be a simulation and more of an arcade style game which the franchise has always been . It's certainly by no means easy and can get very hard. The diving comments baffle me as if you play the game properly and get into the right position for shots there is very little diving. Unless you absolutely hate tennis it's a great game and one of the best on the PS3 at the moment and worth picking up. Obviously if you have a 360 as well and want to play online that version might make better sense.

24. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I hate tennis - but quite liked the demo. Won't be buying though. If that helps anyone.

25. Tazbot

Tazbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278

I run my PS3 through a 32 LCD Sony Bravia linked up via HDMI and my opinion stays the same about not looking that much better than Gamecube's Mario Power Tennis. MPT runs on my US Gamecube which displays at 480p. It does look fantastic and certainly on a par with PS3's VT3. My main gripe with VT3 is like most replies here that it's not a leap up like it ought to be.

By the way I am not confused - perhaps a little let down.

26. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Fair enough.I disagree 100%.Looks a million times better for me.

27. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just downloaded this demo - Wasn't that impressed to be honest...

I have the Virtua Tennis games on both the Dreamcast and PS2 and have to say that this PS3 version hasn't really progressed much since those versions...

Sure, there are slight improvements in graphics, but I was expecting a whole lot more...

The choice of shot selection is still really weak in my opinion - about time they completely changed things...

If you own any of the previous Virtua Tennis games, this game appears to have nothing new to offer... :thumbsdow

I guess it's worth getting if you've never owned a Virtua Tennis game though...

28. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The demo is not a true representation of the full retail version. Making a judgement just based on the demo is pretty silly in my opinion.

29. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    lol, no, you missed my point. I mean the divefest means that rallies go on and on and on, when 2 decent players meet you cancel each other out. Diving is Sega's way of keeping the rallies going..but it's retarded when you can control a shot off a dive from a smash or a cross court shot. This game isn't as cut throat as it should be. The situation gets worse in doubles trust me when you can't hit outright winners because of last minute diving. Compared to other tennis games VT3 gives the player a huge amount of leeway when it comes to the hitting zone and getting into position.

30. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I still disagree.I seriously do not see much diving when playing friends? All i do is stretch my opponent to the other side of the court and then hit a power cross court shot,no amount of diving will get him to the return :D

Maybe you play it differently,because to me it sounds like you are describing a different game :confused:

Anyway,i think it is great.And i say to anyone considering buying it,do it!