Virgin won't match new customer offers

gex23

So my 12 month contract with Virgin expires 14-10-20, with the package being 'heavily discounted' from £89 to £49 for a middle of the road package in terms of features and speed - which they now want £59 for as i'm an existing customer

Wanting to stick with Virgin I saw an offer for the Ultimate Oomph package of £89 for all channels (inc sport and cinema) / 516 mbps broadband / 4g sim on offer at £79 recently (I think that was the price) - so I thought i'd upgrade while I was at it and ditch my current Virgin mobile contract to offset the cost increase - the best offer they can give me (after going through 2 'tiers' of sales people able to offer differing levels of discount :confused:), is £91 with basically a 'take it or leave it attitude' and a £35 install cost for the second V6 box I have no need for.

They've told me this deal is valid for a week but i'm still a little peeved, as it seems i'm getting a worse deal for being an existing customer - if I leave and rejoin as a new customer, I assume there's a minimum waiting period as it will be the same property?

I've looked at the Sky alternative, but the speed drop off in the broadband is substantial as I can only get basic broadband from them rather than the ultrafast services.

What you you guys / girls do or suggest? :)

mwomwell

So my 12 month contract with Virgin expires 14-10-20, with the package being 'heavily discounted' from £89 to £49 for a middle of the road package in terms of features and speed - which they now want £59 for as i'm an existing customer

Wanting to stick with Virgin I saw an offer for the Ultimate Oomph package of £89 for all channels (inc sport and cinema) / 516 mbps broadband / 4g sim on offer at £79 recently (I think that was the price) - so I thought i'd upgrade while I was at it and ditch my current Virgin mobile contract to offset the cost increase - the best offer they can give me (after going through 2 'tiers' of sales people able to offer differing levels of discount :confused:), is £91 with basically a 'take it or leave it attitude' and a £35 install cost for the second V6 box I have no need for.

They've told me this deal is valid for a week but i'm still a little peeved, as it seems i'm getting a worse deal for being an existing customer - if I leave and rejoin as a new customer, I assume there's a minimum waiting period as it will be the same property?

I've looked at the Sky alternative, but the speed drop off in the broadband is substantial as I can only get basic broadband from them rather than the ultrafast services.

What you you guys / girls do or suggest? :)

You could ditch Virgin and go Sky Q for TV package and BT Broadband for their fibre network if in your area I guess. I currently have Virgin and Sky Q and use virgin for the fibre broadband only but intend to ditch them in Dec when my contract is up and either stick with Sky broadband for a while to see how that goes or subscribe to BT broadband for internet - I can get 1GBs with them for virtually the same price as I pay Virgin for their 350MBs service.

wormvortex

Is there a Mrs. Gex23? Maybe the two of you have broken up and Mrs. Gex23 got the house and now needs broadband as a new customer ;)

lowmans100

I had this with Sky many years ago, I didn't bother negotiating after they told me the better price was for new customers, I told them to cancel my account and someone from my household would sign up online up as a new customer. After a short pause I was transferred and got the same price as a new customer.

gex23

Cheers for the replies guys - especially the advice re: Virgin broadband and Sky TV, i'd never considered it before but looking financially it makes sense, and i'll get access to Disney +, Sky boxsets and a superior UI through the Sky Q box (i'm happy to omit the sports channels).

If I do go in this direction, do I need line rental? As I don't use a landline at all and the broadband will be via Virgins fibre network.

Quite excited at the prospect of Sky and Disney + it has to be said :)

lowmans100

If you get Sky broadband there will be line rental as they don't supply broadband without a phone line. I have Sky TV and Virgin fibre, but the cost of Virgin fibre on it's own is not really cheaper than getting it with a phone line. Like you I have no use for a phone line.

Luckily CityFibre is installing in my area at the moment so I can get FFTP only service at a cost that is half what I pay Virgin for the same download speed and no phone line.

PS Unless you have kids Disney+ excitement will soon wear off after you have watched the main content. I have kids and the app hasn't been opened for months.

gex23

@lowmans100 - Thankyou for the reply and clarification re: line rental.

I got sick of Virgin messing me around on the phone on multiple occasions, from the different levels of sales people being able to offer different 'tiers' of discount, so being put on hold for 25 minutes on more than one occasion while they try and 'find a deal close to the ones advertised', to the sheer arrogance one of them showed me - so now I have Virgin broadband (M200), and Sky TV incoming.

Re: Disney + , no kids for me luckily! So will see how it goes, its a 31 day rolling contract so no huge disappointment if it doesn't live up to the hype.

Hoping Sky offer Apple TV in the future so I can take advantage of that too!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom